Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

bigsteve

Reaction score
I like to use the big 200lb blue tubs of protein to help my cows with body score especially after having a calf and during winter. I have some calves that are a few weeks old, and some due any day. They are of course, into everything. Will it be bad for them to be into the protein tubs? They are obviously still nursing from their dams but I have no way of restricting access. Would this be bad for their health at all?

We keep 30% protein tubs available year 'round. And yes, the calves are always in them as well as figuring out/eventually mastering the mineral feeder. They're also munching on 20% protein range nuggets (cubes) by they time they're a few months old. I like fat, healthy calves!

I only put out the protein tubs when I start feeding hay. I don't think I've seen 30% protein tubs. I think the ones we use are only 24%, but would like to get the 30%.

I know it's really easy to kick those tubs out there, but... dang! they just look like an extremely expensive way to provide a little bit of protein.
I can buy a ton of DDG with 27% CP for $120... but a 200lb 28% tub is upward of $60...
That works out to 22 cents/lb(DDG) vs $1.13/lb(tub) for supplemental protein.
I believe I can spend a few minutes a day toting a few buckets of DDG to get 6X more protein in 'em for the same money.

Lucky_P":3m8wwtbu said:
I know it's really easy to kick those tubs out there, but... dang! they just look like an extremely expensive way to provide a little bit of protein.
I can buy a ton of DDG with 27% CP for $120... but a 200lb 28% tub is upward of $60...
I believe I can spend a few minutes a day toting a few buckets of DDG to get 6X more protein in 'em for the same money.

They are the absolute worst buy of protein per pound.
On a 200 pound tub you bought 60 pounds of protein.
On a ton of range meal for 280 bucks you get 280 pounds of protein three tubs for 270 bucks bought 600 pounds with 180 pounds of protein.

We use cottonseed at home.
But we have ground that we let stockpile grass from mid summer to Frost. For dry cows. Some of it is 50 miles away.
We use tubs and no hay. And rarely check them. No hay , little gas and little time. Tubs fit the bill. You gotta be bright enough to realize that there's more than one tool in the toolbox.

Lucky_P":2uymdmyy said:
depends on how far you are from your cattle , I got a place that it cost me 30.00 bucks plus my time to drive to. In this pasture I fill a feeder with range meal but I also use a tub the tub I use is much higher in fat than most but also 28 % protein and its a cooked tub which makes it a lot harder so they don't eat as much as a soft tub but it cost around 60.00 + or - 5.00. I don't use tubs all the time but this place is a place you need dozer to get in if it rains much so I can take a tub in on my ATV if I have to. Tubs have their place.

Tub color doesn;t mean diddly. Every company uses differnt colors. Crystaqllicks uses the same color tub for all of their stuff

BRYANT":26yhmadg said:
Lucky_P":26yhmadg said:
depends on how far you are from your cattle , I got a place that it cost me 30.00 bucks plus my time to drive to. In this pasture I fill a feeder with range meal but I also use a tub the tub I use is much higher in fat than most but also 28 % protein and its a cooked tub which makes it a lot harder so they don't eat as much as a soft tub but it cost around 60.00 + or - 5.00. I don't use tubs all the time but this place is a place you need dozer to get in if it rains much so I can take a tub in on my ATV if I have to. Tubs have their place.

Around here it works our to about 1.50 a pound for protein and comes to 900 dollars a ton for the tubs mighty expensive supplement.
Same money would buy 30 rolls of decent hay roughly 15 tons of feed.
Never could get that convenience to pencil out.

Caustic Burno":31h74b34 said:
BRYANT":31h74b34 said:
Lucky_P":31h74b34 said:

Around here it works our to about 1.50 a pound for protein and comes to 900 dollars a ton for the tubs mighty expensive supplement.
Same money would buy 30 rolls of decent hay roughly 15 tons of feed.
Never could get that convenience to pencil out.
to far to go put hay out everyday plus there is a lot of days you aint driving in this place, I have buried my ol mule up knee deep just checking cows. I don't feed many tubs I put out range meal and I keep that out pretty much year around. When the grass is good they eat very little as grass starts loosing it value they start eating more. if we get hit with lots of rain and snow then I will take a tub in nothing to do with convenience its called MUD

Even with tubs, the cows still need an energy source to go along with the protein.
If cubes provided enough energy, even cubes bought by the sack at retail price ($350/ton) would be cheaper than the protein tubs. Neither cubes nor tubs provide enough energy to replace hay tho.

I winter my cows on either winter pasture or grass hay and range meal and tubs when I have to but not many. they get some cubes about once a week all year long to keep them coming to the lot , cubes are just enough for them all to get a little , well worth the money when I hear people on here talk about not being able to catch their cattle mine will beat me to the lot when they hear me call them. My cattle winter looking better than a lot I see,

Don't get me wrong..I will use any source of protein at different times.. cubes always, and range meal in winter and sometimes tubs as well. It's just that some are more economically efficient than others..

greybeard":2kdqjp2z said:
Don't get me wrong..I will use any source of protein at different times.. cubes always, and range meal in winter and sometimes tubs as well. It's just that some are more economically efficient than others..

Your right it is just the most expensive option out there for protein.
You would be better off with Mix 30 or CLS.

We use some 20% All natural protein tubs on occasion. No point in using the 28% ones when the extra protein is urea and the cows basically get no benefit out of it. These are "cooked" tubs I guess, they seem to last quite awhile so if they are poured then the cattle must be getting what they need without going crazy over them. It may seem like a high price for protein for some, compared to DDG or "cubes" or anything else; but sometimes the convenience and time saving is worth the price. Haven't priced them this year.
We will be getting feed delivered soon, usually get 4-6 tons in each of the 2 bins and it will take us through the better part of the winter unless it gets real cold. I do feed a fair amount when my nurse cows are fresh. Right now I have 3 that have come fresh in the last 10 days... one just yesterday so I will be looking for a couple more calves to put on her. She raised 3 last year as a first calf heifer. The other 2 will raise 2 each, the jersey is only 2 good teats this year and the guernsey is just on older cow that I rescued and she doesn't have much milk but is a good momma. Trying to get a heifer from her to keep as a replacement. They get fed pretty good in the barn as I get the calves going on them and get them up to a higher production level. Plus, I milk for the house.

Bryant is right about the getting in and out and distance to some places. We still take some feed when we go to pastures and call them in. But I can't always get there as often as I like, and this way I know they are getting a little extra. Have never had them turn down a little feed in the pens when they have had tubs also, so I don't see a conflict. They will come when called if they don't beat me to the pens first. We don't have "cubes" available here but use pellets or sweet feed to call them in.

They all have grass and hay to choose from in the winter time. Sometimes they will work on the hay but during warm snaps, they will be out working on the grass. I like that the tubs offer the cows a little extra if they need it and the calves do learn to start "eating" a bit too. Makes them more interested in trying the feed in the troughs .

jan,
The urea-containing tubs/blocks have sufficient carbohydrate - in the form of molasses, corn meal, or whatever - to provide the 'building blocks/backbone' for rumen bacteria to hook those amino groups from the split urea onto to make amino acids and then microbial protein.
So... unless I'm mistaken, it's not like your cows can't utilize it. It's just a 'cheaper' way of providing 'protein' to cows... by making their rumen bugs make the protein...rather than providing it in a pre-formed form.

farmerjan":xwi61loh said:
We use some 20% All natural protein tubs on occasion. No point in using the 28% ones when the extra protein is urea and the cows basically get no benefit out of it.

Find the person that taught you this and tell him he's a dumb liar. :nod: :nod:

Lucky_P":2io7aivr said:

Says the man from western kentucky :D

The problem with feed is you have to do it every day, you have to have storage (gravity boxes to keep costs down) and you have to have a feeding system. I don't mind feeding them in the blizzards so much as the mud and snow drifts when the boots are coming off and you can't hold the pails out of the snow banks and you can only carry 2 buckets at a time and they are killing each other at the troughs such that the big ones (that don't need the protein) are pushing out the others whilst you scurry back to the barn for another couple of buckets only to feed the same fat cows that are crowding out the younger ones.

Traveling for work is another problem to the daily feeding - but some days I reckon you would just have to miss some feedings.

That said, if i were in Western KY and it was only a few buckets and took only a few minutes and didn't need gravity wagons, I'd probably do the same thing.

Personally, I feed higher quality hay whenever possible and avoid both the tubs and the added nutrients - though that too can be more expensive than a shot of DDG.

OK OK . . . . . I'll try it again!!