Protein tubs - are they worth the money?

Help Support CattleToday:

SCRUBS620

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the protein tubs from TSC. I got a good deal on one that is 24% protein. I forgot the list of ingredients at home so I cant tell you what is in it right now. What do you think the most economical supplement is if they are just getting grass and minerals? Calves weigh about 500 lbs I would imagine.

If you're just still in the growing them stage and your pasture is any good, the best supplement is none.

I tried one and they wouldn't/couldn't eat it because they couldn't bite into it. I had to chop it up with a digging bar so they could get it out of the tub.

I like plain blocks much better because they can gnaw on the edges.

hi, watch the tub protien for the calves.
That high in protien could be made of urea or ground up chicken feathers which is hard on the calves guts.
We use feedrite and they come in different protiens for different jobs and stages of cattle life.
Feedrite used to use chicken feathers from the tubs that came from the states but they discontined after 2003. I don't know about other feed companies

they come in high and low moisture.
Low moisture can be consumed by licking and high moisture they can bite and chew.
The low moisture lasts longer because it is more dense.
but the protien thing is real important with the calves. To high like this 26% and the gut gets burned. As well you should have it near their water source.
I tried to cut and paste from the feed rite web site. I tried the web address but not well. Just copy and paste into your browser for the web pages or surf feed rite .com Soryy so looong winded

From the feed rite page
http://www.feedrite.com/new/product%20p ... asylix.htm

Maximize performance during times of poor forage quality or quantity with

EASYLIX® PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS:

18% Poured Block

Easylix ® Poured Blocks deliver supplemental protein and energy in a highly palatable and digestible form to help supplement low quality forages. Because the 18% Poured Block contains all natural plant-based protein sources, this tub is ideal for pastures containing young cattle and horses. These tubs also deliver as much magnesium as a 14% high magnesium mineral.

27% Poured Block

Easylix® 27% Poured Blocks deliver supplemental protein and energy in a highly palatable and digestible form to help supplement low quality forages. Additional non-protein nitrogen results in efficient forage utilization, making Easylix a safe, economical supplement ideal for mature cattle. Easlylix® 27% Poured Blocks also deliver as much magnesium as a 14% high magnesium mineral.

http://www.feedrite.com/new/product%20p ... itelix.htm

Low Moisture Supplement Blocks

Rite-Lix blocks cannot be bitten, chewed or over-consumed. Cattle lick Rite-Lix blocks periodically throughout the day, ensuring a limited and consistent intake. Typical consumption is from 125 to 500 grams per head per day, depending on forage quality and animal size.
Rite-Lix offers many advantages:

· Low cost per day

· Better performance

· Flexibility

· Controlled grazing patterns

· Food-Safe

http://www.feedrite.com/new/product%20p ... oducts.htm

Rite-Lix 32-18 - A 32% protein supplement with 18% protein from non-protein nitrogen sources, formulated to be fed to cattle consuming low quality forage or pasture.

Rite-Lix 22-10 - A 20% protein supplement with 10% protein from non-protein nitrogen sources, formulated to be fed to cattle consuming moderate quality forage or pasture.

Rite-Lix 16 AN - A 16% all-natural protein supplement for cattle and calves formulated to be fed with good quality forage or pasture.

Rite-Lix 16 AN - A 16% all-natural protein supplement for cattle and calves formulated to be fed with good quality forage or pasture.

Rite-Lix Multi Block - A 13% all-natural protein formulation for cattle or multi-species use.

Low copper inclusion rate is safe for sheep.

Rite-Lix Mag Lix - A 10% all-natural protein, high magnesium formulation, for cows on lush growing pasture or high potassium forages, to reduce the risks of grass or winter tetany.

Rite-Lix Min Block - A 3% protein supplement block in a free-choice mineral formulation, for cattle fed good quality forage or pasture. Supplies a 1:1 calcium to phosphorus mineral ratio

Anybody have any experience with Positive Feed Tubs. We've been feeding their All-In-One 30% tubs. We've also used Vitalix products too. I know this is'nt my post but I figured while we're on the subject I'd ask for opinions.

We use the BioRemedies molasses/mineral cattle tubs and the Remuda Tubs for our Horses. Quality products but more expensive then those "generic" ~200# tubs a lot of places sell. Tried some of those 200# generic tubs (pink or red tubs) and the waste was excessive...even Longhorns didn't like them! You get what you pay for...

We'll stick with the BioRemedies line of mineral tubs and the Aussie Logic products for pelleted feed for our horses. Our livestock have never looked better! And healthier!

I have been giving them some protein supplementation in the block form for the last month or so. It was a higher protein percentage and they seemed to do OK with it. My grass is getting a little dried out thats why I thought I might need one at least until we get some fall rain and it greens back up. I bought the tub because they were out of the blocks and they gave me a deal on it. The label said it was safe for all classes of cattle but it does contain some NPN. Anybody have experience specifically with this brand?

gabby":ogx9tgx7 said:
I tried one and they wouldn't/couldn't eat it because they couldn't bite into it. I had to chop it up with a digging bar so they could get it out of the tub.

The one you tried was from TSC? Did they seem to do OK with it once they were able to eat it?

I use the Positive Feed Tubs.. I especially like them because they've got the fly killer (sorry, it's late and my mind is gone) stuff.

SCRUBS620":i5qkn4ga said:
gabby":i5qkn4ga said:

The one you tried was from TSC? Did they seem to do OK with it once they were able to eat it?

Yes it was from TSC, and even after I dug it out they didn't seem to like it very much. They like the 500 lb blocks much better but I can't remember who makes them, plus it's cheaper in the big blocks.

The TSC tubs are made by Westway. I have heard complaints of inconsistent intakes over the years, however, most producers I've met don't really measure how much they eat but complain about consumption.

BTW, tubs are designed to be licked rather than bitten.

kyblockhead":3syvkujt said:
The TSC tubs are made by Westway. I have heard complaints of inconsistent intakes over the years, however, most producers I've met don't really measure how much they eat but complain about consumption.

BTW, tubs are designed to be licked rather than bitten.
To be honest, I've never heard a good word about TSC's Tubs.Palatibility problems, and Like KYblockhead said, inconsistent intakes. I think startved Cattle might lick them, but as far as herd maintainance, I'd pass.

There are a lot of different tubs. I don't know about the soft one's cattle can bite? The hard lick tubs I use in the last trimester on bred cows and while feeding poor quality forage. I use 30 % protein. Even at 30% is not much, you can't count on it a being a adequate source of protein. Cows will lick away at it and it's a good source of continuous mineral and vitamins but at a pound or 2 per cow per day, the protein in that amount helps, but just not that much protein.

Unless I am feeding straight straw as a drought strategy, I do not use any protein supplement.

Hold over cattle and calves can get by quite nicely on 7 - 9 % protein in hay.

Breds get 11% or better.

Protein and mineral on a straight straw diet prevents impaction.

Pasture animals do not need it all all unless on very low quality grass and weed graze that comes from drought problems.

Millions of cattle raising calves on the open range do not even know what a protein supplement is.

I generally leave it in the store.

Bez+

We bought a tub and our cows ran from it, they wouldn't touch it. I can't remember what it was called. Not one cow licked it they would smell it and run backwards from it. May have been something wrong with it.

J&T Farm":o5n2ro5u said:
We bought a tub and our cows ran from it, they wouldn't touch it. I can't remember what it was called. Not one cow licked it they would smell it and run backwards from it. May have been something wrong with it.

Saw a test result on some of these tubs one time.

They tested a tub in layers.

When pouring the liquid mixed minerals/protein supplements into the tub, lot's of the goodies in it settled to the bottom before it hardened making part of it virtually worthless to the cattle that got to the tub first.

I would say use a protein supplement such as the Vigortone "Forage Pro" if you need extra protein supplements.

MikeC":1eubyho8 said:
When pouring the liquid mixed minerals/protein supplements into the tub, lot's of the goodies in it settled to the bottom before it hardened making part of it virtually worthless to the cattle that got to the tub first.

But Mike, you are forgetting that folks get to keep that heavy duty tub after the cattle have eaten the $70 in molasses and chicken feathers!

ALX

AngusLimoX":1x8s8wog said:
MikeC":1x8s8wog said:

But Mike, you are forgetting that folks get to keep that heavy duty tub after the cattle have eaten the $70 in molasses and chicken feathers!

ALX

Bad joke, especially coming from Canada. Bad feed has cost us all a lot.

AngusLimoX":2eomqtsd said:
MikeC":2eomqtsd said:

ALX

Yep. Those tubs are quite handy............... :lol:

Latest posts