Processing tips for cull cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo

Reaction score
I've got a cow that had a uterine prolapse this spring that I'm going to cull this fall after I get her calf weaned off.

Any tips on processing the meat? I suppose that I'll have hamburger made out of most of her, but aren't there some other cuts of meat I should try to salvage?

Thanks.

badaxemoo":3k3ml8y1 said:
I've got a cow that had a uterine prolapse this spring that I'm going to cull this fall after I get her calf weaned off.

Any tips on processing the meat? I suppose that I'll have hamburger made out of most of her, but aren't there some other cuts of meat I should try to salvage?

Thanks.
Depends on the cow.

Save the tenderloins whole if there are any.

"Cubed steak" from the round.

If you are going to grind her, don't age it as long as you would a fat steer for lack of protective fat and a resulting strong taste.

The ribeye and loin can possibly be salvaged and cut in to steaks.

Hanf her just like you would anything else then cut out a couple of steaks from the loin and see if they're tender enough to eat. If they are, process her jsut like any steer. If they aren;t grind her.

Just have her done like a steer and if you don't like it you can get the meat ground and ground maybe the other half 5 months down the road when it would have turned if it was ground at the beginning.

Get some good stew meat out of her. Maybe some roasts. Everything gets tender when you cook it all day in a crock pot.