price for butcher beef

Help Support CattleToday:

prolly aint alot of good pasture land on them islands so rais'n good beef might get a little pricey. 9 bucks for burger aint real good but if your if your talkin ribeye let's see ya beat that at the pigglywiggly . :santa:

Last summer I charged $2.35 hanging and I paid the slaughter. And I was by far the lowest price advertiser on Craigslist. There were lots of people selling in the $3.00-4.00 range.

Thanks for all the info. I sold steers today and they weighted 772 at 1.47. If you take 772 at 62 percent that's 479lbs hanging weight and to make a little more than market i would have to charge 2.50lb hanging weight. Am i figuring this right.

alohacattle":28xqglb2 said:
gonzo":28xqglb2 said:
prolly aint alot of good pasture land on them islands so rais'n good beef might get a little pricey. 9 bucks for burger aint real good but if your if your talkin ribeye let's see ya beat that at the pigglywiggly . :santa:
http://www.parkerranch.com/Parker-Ranch ... king-ranch

So you posted a common link, are you a member or owner of Parker ranch? Starting to smell a bit.

Here in our area I get $2.75 on the rail, hang around 800-880# for the whole. And they pay butcher/slaughter. Only sell two a year and can't keep up with demand. We're small time.

arkie 74":2n1zialv said:
Thanks for all the info. I sold steers today and they weighted 772 at 1.47. If you take 772 at 62 percent that's 479lbs hanging weight and to make a little more than market i would have to charge 2.50lb hanging weight. Am i figuring this right.

Yes.$2.37 would match market so $2.50 would be a "fair" price to sell off the farm.

snake67":1lna2n3r said:
Teaxas Bred wrote:

hmmmmm...so you'd have no trouble knowingly screwing someone as long as you tell them ahead of time that "you're screwing them"?? I'm with the Crazy Farmgirl on this one Bez. Give'em the KY before you load their beef and take their money.

Well, if someone offers you double the sale barn price for your steers in the field - knowing full well what they can pay for them if they go to the sale barn - will you tell them to screw off?

Or will you brag to others about how someone thought your animals were so good that they were willing to pay that high price?

I think you missed the point I was making - or perhaps we will simply have to agree to disagree

Merry Christmas to all

Bez

I prefer to charge a fair price for quality product rather than screw my customers just because I can! Maybe I won't get rich but I sell all of my product to very satisfied customers and they come back and bring more with them and I sleep well to boot!

We don't feel we're screwing our customers at $3/lb. and their share of harvest/packaging costs. Our folks are either repeat customers or they are referrals. We raise 4-5 head a year for butcher, so it doesn't pay us to buy finish grains in ton loads. And hay here is very expensive (some of the best in the country, but that's what's here, and that's what we have to pay for to feed cattle when not on pasture). Over the last few years, we've upped our price about 25 cents a year per lb. hanging. And I don't think that's any more of a percentage increase than our customers would pay at the grocers.

Crazy Farmgirl":1pjle1lp said:
I prefer to charge a fair price for quality product rather than screw my customers just because I can! Maybe I won't get rich but I sell all of my product to very satisfied customers and they come back and bring more with them and I sleep well to boot!
You are crazy farm girl!

I sold mine the last 2 years at 3 dollars a pound hanging weight plus butcher / slaughter fee . I don't do it because I like it or have to . If I'm gonna do it I'm gonna make it worth my while .i found out working for my self for 10 years you can't eat atta boys . Or free bees

i'm with you Bez, if someone is willing to pay that much - take the money. the type of people willing to pay that much usually have more money than brains. that's not anyone's fault but theirs. if they can't give it to you, they'll give it to someone else. don't be ashamed to take it.....it's not like they're doing you a favor.

I haven't been back to this thread for a few days. Maybe a good thing the way it looks.

However I am glad my explanation was helpful to some folks. It has taken me a couple years of mistakes to get to this system. I sell several ways. But the one described is the best if you have customers who will take, and can pay for, a whole or a half.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

Alan":2wkoays9 said:
alohacattle":2wkoays9 said:
gonzo":2wkoays9 said:
http://www.parkerranch.com/Parker-Ranch ... king-ranch

So you posted a common link, are you a member or owner of Parker ranch? Starting to smell a bit.
No I am not the owner, it is a family trust.

I posted a link for gonzo to show him there is plenty of grazing land in Hawaii and plenty of quality cattle. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kathie in Thorp":1lb246vq said:
We don't feel we're screwing our customers at $3/lb. and their share of harvest/packaging costs. Our folks are either repeat customers or they are referrals. We raise 4-5 head a year for butcher, so it doesn't pay us to buy finish grains in ton loads. And hay here is very expensive (some of the best in the country, but that's what's here, and that's what we have to pay for to feed cattle when not on pasture). Over the last few years, we've upped our price about 25 cents a year per lb. hanging. And I don't think that's any more of a percentage increase than our customers would pay at the grocers.

Kathie, I never said that $3/lb was screwing your customer, I would say that is still a reasonable price. I feel the $9/lb is unreasonable for a product that seller admits is lower quality than the grocery store! IMO charging astronomical prices for inferior product is wrong, just because you may find idiots to pay those prices doesn't make it right. That mentality has contributed to the high cost of living that everyone complains about. It used to be if you wanted to make more money you worked harder now more people choose to simply charge more for the same product instead of working harder. The really crazy part is that those same people will be the first to complain about the lazy sobs who have no work ethic yet feel they are entitled to higher wages or don't work at all and collect welfare...they do it because they can...it's the same mentality! :bang:

My 2 cents. If someone wants to pay the price, that is that person's choice.

I have a friend who sells her eggs for $5 a dozen to people in Houston. Are they better than certified cage free organic eggs in the grocery store that sell for $3.? Probably not. Her chickens are not free range. They are cage free (live in a pen) although she claims that they are free range and she is not certified organic.

I have another friend who raises Wagyu cross beef. She gets close to $8 per pound. I say good for her.

aloha did not say that he/she is deceiving his/her customers. The key words are "they know what they are getting". Many people will pay for the knowledge of how the beef was raised and processed. You don't know how many beef are in the hamburger that you buy at the store. I am pretty sure that it is not one animal per package, especially with the prepackage chubs.

If you guys sell land like you sell freezer beef please call me i would love to buy some under valued land so you can feel good about your self. If i going to deal with hand feeding a animal for at least sixty days arrange processing, haul it, and then deal with someone that wants to know why they don't have 500 lbs of tbone, iam going to get every dollar i can

salebarn junkie":1psk9hky said:
If you guys sell land like you sell freezer beef please call me i would love to buy some under valued land so you can feel good about your self. If i going to deal with hand feeding a animal for at least sixty days arrange processing, haul it, and then deal with someone that wants to know why they don't have 500 lbs of tbone, iam going to get every dollar i can

I have a creep feeder with the gates removed. It helps.

Are you hand feeding because your mixing the ration in a bucket or is it just to limit intake?

shaz":2ycztdya said:
salebarn junkie":2ycztdya said:

I have a creep feeder with the gates removed. It helps.

Are you hand feeding because your mixing the ration in a bucket or is it just to limit intake?

I think he is "hand feeding" because he is talking about people raising 2, 3, or 4 head as opposed to driving a feed truck down a feed bunk at the feedlot.

tsmaxx47":3tx7gr8x said:
i'm with you Bez, if someone is willing to pay that much - take the money. the type of people willing to pay that much usually have more money than brains. that's not anyone's fault but theirs. if they can't give it to you, they'll give it to someone else. don't be ashamed to take it.....it's not like they're doing you a favor.

You can do it once anyway. Why not charge a reasonable "profitable" price and at the same time help an uninformed customer realize what the real market for good farm raised beef is. The basis for determining value is that both parties be informed and knowledgeable of the market.

Latest posts