price for butcher beef

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2wz1e5bj said:
You can do it once anyway. Why not charge a reasonable "profitable" price and at the same time help an uninformed customer realize what the real market for good farm raised beef is. The basis for determining value is that both parties be informed and knowledgeable of the market.
What you are suggesting TexasBred, almost sounds like what we call an arms length transaction. Where both buyer and seller are on equal footing, with both knowing the true value of the property.

Now I like that concept, however if by chance the buyer's are not interested in researching for themselves the true value of the product. I do not feel it is my responsibility to inform them, nor do I feel I should advertise for my competition about their superior product. I have never misled the buyer, but rather I just kept them in the dark. As long as the buyer is willing to pay why not over charge?

You sound like a very honest man who is worth his weight in salt, but you too must hear the music playing, city folks don't know anything about beef, what is better, what is worse, they only know what someone tells them. They rely on the producer for information. If the producer says, I raised this steer from birth, I know the health of the animal, what it has ate, what it has been treated with, so on and so forth. You get my point, they think wow it costs a bunch more, but this is a great deal because the guy told us so.

Little do they know the beef being bought straight from the producer, has a 31% chance of being lower quality than what is being offered at Walmart. The beef being bought straight from the producer has a 65% chance of being as good of quality as the beef being offered at Walmart, and the beef being bought straight from the producer has a 3% chance of being better than what is offered at Walmart.

As you can see I don't want to pitch an ad for Walmart but the music is playing, it is not a crap shoot, it is USDA inspected, USDA graded, free of drug residues, it is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

The best mode of action for the small producer is to charge a high price, and hope the consumer will think it must be better, even though odds are against it. Damn you Walmart, Selling quality beef at a reasonable price.

alohacattle":9vbhoahj said:
TexasBred":9vbhoahj said:
You can do it once anyway. Why not charge a reasonable "profitable" price and at the same time help an uninformed customer realize what the real market for good farm raised beef is. The basis for determining value is that both parties be informed and knowledgeable of the market.
What you are suggesting TexasBred, almost sounds like what we call an arms length transaction. Where both buyer and seller are on equal footing, with both knowing the true value of the property.

Now I like that concept, however if by chance the buyer's are not interested in researching for themselves the true value of the product. I do not feel it is my responsibility to inform them, nor do I feel I should advertise for my competition about their superior product. I have never misled the buyer, but rather I just kept them in the dark. As long as the buyer is willing to pay why not over charge?

You sound like a very honest man who is worth his weight in salt, but you too must hear the music playing, city folks don't know anything about beef, what is better, what is worse, they only know what someone tells them. They rely on the producer for information. If the producer says, I raised this steer from birth, I know the health of the animal, what it has ate, what it has been treated with, so on and so forth. You get my point, they think wow it costs a bunch more, but this is a great deal because the guy told us so.

Little do they know the beef being bought straight from the producer, has a 31% chance of being lower quality than what is being offered at Walmart. The beef being bought straight from the producer has a 65% chance of being as good of quality as the beef being offered at Walmart, and the beef being bought straight from the producer has a 3% chance of being better than what is offered at Walmart.

As you can see I don't want to pitch an ad for Walmart but the music is playing, it is not a crap shoot, it is USDA inspected, USDA graded, free of drug residues, it is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.

The best mode of action for the small producer is to charge a high price, and hope the consumer will think it must be better, even though odds are against it. be nice you Walmart, Selling quality beef at a reasonable price.

???? I don't get it.

Do you know that Walmart adds stuff to their beef to improve flavor and tenderness? Read the label. It is all there.

chippie":2769gplh said:
Do you know that Walmart adds stuff to their beef to improve flavor and tenderness? Read the label. It is all there.
I wouldn't know chipster.. I don't buy their beef. :nod:

I don't either. I saw a commercial about how wonderful their meat is. So I read the label. It was an eye opener.
Kroger's meat is not always a U.S.A. product. The label states that it may be from Canada, Mexico or U.S.A. I don't buy their meat either.
I am label reader. If a food product (people or pet) is made in China, I ain't buying it. Try not to buy other stuff made out of the U.S.A., but manufacters and stores make it hard not to. :(

chippie":3b6dgd1n said:
I don't either. I saw a commercial about how wonderful their meat is. So I read the label. It was an eye opener.
Kroger's meat is not always a U.S.A. product. The label states that it may be from Canada, Mexico or U.S.A. I don't buy their meat either.
I am label reader. If a food product (people or pet) is made in China, I ain't buying it. Try not to buy other stuff made out of the U.S.A., but manufacters and stores make it hard not to. :(

Where on the label of Walmarts USDA CHOICE Premium beef does it list these ingredients added for flavor and tenderness.

I am unable to find it on any label in store or online. It must be on the label if they add anything.

I charge $3.50 a lb hanging weight and they pay processing. I produce better beef than what's at the supermarket and on average sell cheaper than the super market.

Superior product sells itself and I make what my time is worth. It's a win-win and everyone is happy.

What's the point of selling freezer beef for $2/lb hanging?

Crazy Farmgirl":32pbhhqb said:
snake67":32pbhhqb said:
Teaxas Bred wrote:

hmmmmm...so you'd have no trouble knowingly screwing someone as long as you tell them ahead of time that "you're screwing them"?? I'm with the Crazy Farmgirl on this one Bez. Give'em the KY before you load their beef and take their money.

Well, if someone offers you double the sale barn price for your steers in the field - knowing full well what they can pay for them if they go to the sale barn - will you tell them to screw off?

Or will you brag to others about how someone thought your animals were so good that they were willing to pay that high price?

I think you missed the point I was making - or perhaps we will simply have to agree to disagree

Merry Christmas to all

Bez

I prefer to charge a fair price for quality product rather than screw my customers just because I can! Maybe I won't get rich but I sell all of my product to very satisfied customers and they come back and bring more with them and I sleep well to boot!

Amen crazy girl ! :clap:

ThaBlueRidge":1uurpjmt said:
I charge $3.50 a lb hanging weight and they pay processing. I produce better beef than what's at the supermarket and on average sell cheaper than the super market.

Superior product sells itself and I make what my time is worth. It's a win-win and everyone is happy.

If you charge 3.50 & they pay the processing, you are NOT "on average" selling cheaper than the super mkt. :bs:

I think posts like these get started on here about every 6 months, & it becomes :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :2cents:

ohiobeef":1hos47h0 said:
If you charge 3.50 & they pay the processing, you are NOT "on average" selling cheaper than the super mkt. :bs:
900# HCW x $3.50 = $3150

$3150 + $500 processing = $3650

900 x 40% = 360# packaged meat.

$3650 / 360# = $10.13 per pound all pounds, steaks to soup bones.

Is that math right?

alohacattle":1mizjy6z said:
ohiobeef":1mizjy6z said:
900# HCW x $3.50 = $3150

Is that math right?
Aloha, for Hawaii beef price, that's probably right -- well, at least, that's what you are getting for it, far from the mainland, and knowing that you also pay lots more money for eggs and milk over there --- oh, and hay grain if you have to ship it in. Maybe you do; maybe you don't. Ohiobeef, what are you all upset about, anyway?? 50 - 75 cents a pound difference either in your area or somewhere far from you? What's your problem?

Kathie in Thorp":2g4bgqlb said:
Aloha, for Hawaii beef price, that's probably right -- well, at least, that's what you are getting for it, far from the mainland, and knowing that you also pay lots more money for eggs and milk over there --- oh, and hay grain if you have to ship it in. Maybe you do; maybe you don't. Ohiobeef, what are you all upset about, anyway?? 50 - 75 cents a pound difference either in your area or somewhere far from you? What's your problem?
I was using ThaBlueRidge's prices for the math.

ohiobeef":2qrujz9c said:
ThaBlueRidge":2qrujz9c said:

Ohiobeef, either your area is a whole lot cheaper than most others, or you haven't actually been to a grocery store in a while.
Lots of topics come up about every 6 months, you're welcome to not participate in the conversation if it annoys you so much. When it comes to the price of a commodity item, I see nothing wrong with discussing the topic on a pretty regular basis.

alohacattle":307adwtn said:
ohiobeef":307adwtn said:
900# HCW x $3.50 = $3150

Is that math right?

No your yield is off. I see closer to 60% yeild on beef breeds and 55% on Holstein beef.
900lb hang wt (not live wgt) seems atypical also.

Kathie in Thorp":2396450o said:
alohacattle":2396450o said:
ohiobeef":2396450o said:
900# HCW x $3.50 = $3150

Is that math right?

Why thank-you Katie, & cottage farms for chiming in without being invited, to jump on me when I wasn't even addressing the price of beef in Hawaii. I was addressing Tha blue ridge's claim. I think if you use Aloha's figures though which came up to $10.13 a lb,for EVERYTHING, I'm sure I could go to Wal-mart & buy all the best beef I wanted for A LOT less than that, proving me correct.& Katie 3.50 is more like 1.00- 1.50 over mkt. price NOT .50-.75. But hey I'll wait for your apologies......... :nod:

Latest posts