Preventing Grass tetanus in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I know it's magnesium. Do you all, mix with feed, mix with mineral or how do you do it. Last year we lost our first ever to grasstetanus. Never had any problems before that. Thansk

I have used those in the past and like I said last year was the first time we have had any problem at all. It is a miserable way for a cow to die. The Hi MAG blocks were available to them I don't know why she didn't bother with it. I wonder if there is a magnesium shot available or something of that sort??

[email protected]":2pyuoht6 said:
I have used those in the past and like I said last year was the first time we have had any problem at all. It is a miserable way for a cow to die. The Hi MAG blocks were available to them I don't know why she didn't bother with it. I wonder if there is a magnesium shot available or something of that sort??

Blocks don't provide enough mineral - use loose, they get higher intake and the mineral can do it's job.

That's what I meant to say, was mineral not the blocks we used the blocks years ago. I use stuff now with Triplex 4 in it year round it is supposed to have plenty of mag, but, as with anything it depends on how lazy the person was when they mixed it and how much they really give a darn about what they are doing.THNX

[email protected]":fgk70o16 said:
That's what I meant to say, was mineral not the blocks we used the blocks years ago. I use stuff now with Triplex 4 in it year round it is supposed to have plenty of mag, but, as with anything it depends on how lazy the person was when they mixed it and how much they really give a darn about what they are doing.THNX

You might want to think about trying different brands until you find one that has the proper amount of magnesium, but is also palatable to your cows. I know our cows eat some brands better than others. Just a suggestion.

We were just looking up on tetany tonight, maybe this link will behelpful: http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/catt ... m#Symptoms (hope it works)
try a google search on grass tetany. We also just had our soil tested, and have a high Potassium level here. Apparently high P=low Mg in the forage-a risk factor. You can bet I will keep an eye on our cows! Never had a problem before, but this is a year for "Firsts".We overseeded clover last month, to get away from straight grass pastures, not going to fertilize N this spring, got mag blocks out, and maybe will mix our own as per some of the info I came across. Good luck!

S&K":2luc48j4 said:
We were just looking up on tetany tonight, maybe this link will behelpful: http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/catt ... m#Symptoms (hope it works)
try a google search on grass tetany. We also just had our soil tested, and have a high Potassium level here. Apparently high P=low Mg in the forage-a risk factor. You can bet I will keep an eye on our cows! Never had a problem before, but this is a year for "Firsts".We overseeded clover last month, to get away from straight grass pastures, not going to fertilize N this spring, got mag blocks out, and maybe will mix our own as per some of the info I came across. Good luck!
Primary cause of tetany is Mag deficiency. Usually characteristic of many cool season grasses (wheat, oats, ryegrass, etc.) is low mag and also high potassium. Potassium ties up mag and makes it less available to cow. Palatability is key for high mag mineral. Find one that is palatable and cows eat.

I use a mineral mix that is called Sweet Mag, but I dont recall at the moment the company. I keep it out starting Jan 1. I was told many years ago that if you get it built up in the system, you will have less trouble than if you try to put it all in at the moment they start chasing little green grass. It has worked real well

We just started feeding 13.5% Mag last week in preperation for Grass Tetany season. We are using the "Sweet Mag", made by Hirsch. The first bag I put out was gone in less than 24 hours, but the second bag has been out for about a week and is less than half gone, so they have slacked up on it for the moment anyway. We are running 16 cows, 14 calves, 1 bull.

Zach

aplusmnt":2se1fttd said:
Which months do you think you need to use the high mag mineral on with fescue?

You generally want to start using it at least a month beforethe anticipated "spring flush". Occurs in different areas at different times. We usually start about mid february for this area.

dun

dun":32j8vypv said:
aplusmnt":32j8vypv said:

You generally want to start using it at least a month beforethe anticipated "spring flush". Occurs in different areas at different times. We usually start about mid february for this area.

dun
I keep Hi-Mag loose Minerals out year round, and have predominantly Fescue/OG Pastures. Never had a case of Grass Tetany. You want to use a Mag content of at least 14%.

dun":1lj7z2uj said:
aplusmnt":1lj7z2uj said:

dun
Thats right spring green ups can surprize you give or take a week or so getting plenty of mag in them early is the key too prevent grass tetany

A lot of producers believe that spring grass causes grass tetany. It is merely a magnesium deficiency. I have seen some mineral companies oversimplify by making a spring mineral for grass tetany. Grass tetany is certainly possible on fall calving herds as well as spring calving herds. Begin feeding a palatable hi magnesium (usually 14% mag) mineral 30 days prior to the calving season and feed for approximately 100 days postcalving. There are a lot of 'cheap' mag minerals that are low in phosphorus and trace minerals such as copper, zinc, manganese, etc as well as Vitamin E. These are critical to improved conception rates. These 'cheap' mag minerals may keep them alive but not help with conception rates.

Well i dont think that cattleman are not aware of the fact that grass tetany can happen in the fall or for that matter even during a mild winter.