Tetanus

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
Is tetanus toxiod the same tetanus used for casteration on calves. I think it is but just want to be sure.

Tetanus Toxoid is fine at banding but only if one has been given at least 4-6 weeks prior to castration. If that has not been the case then a Tetanus Antitoxin should be given as well. Both can be given at the same time however another Toxoid should be given in 4-6 wks if you want longer lasting immunity.

Ken

Let's have a short immunology lesson:
Tetanus toxoid is a preparation of the toxin produced by Clostridium tetani which has been denatured so that it can no longer exert its effect - but will still stimulate the animal's immune system to mount an immune response (antibodies and immune cell populations directed against the tetanus toxin) so that they are protected against subsequent exposures.
Tetanus antitoxin is a preparation of anti-tetanus toxin antibodies, derived from the serum of horses that have been hyper-immunized with tetanus toxoid, such that they have very high levels of anti-tetanus toxin antibodies in their blood serum.

So... tetanus antitoxin provides 'immediate' - but temporary - protection against a 'known' potential exposure.
Tetanus toxoid, like any other vaccine/bacterin/toxoid, requires a period of time - and a booster, 2-4 weeks after the initial dose - in order for the animal's immune system to respond to provide optimal protection against the tetanus toxin.
Tetanus antitoxin and tetanus toxoid can be administered at the same time... the antitoxin will not prevent the animal's immune system from responding to the denatured toxin(toxoid) - but to get optimal (and essentially, permanent) protection, a toxoid booster is still needed.

I've seen some real trainwrecks in groups of bulls banded and given a dose of tetanus toxoid at that time... the cattle 'lost the race'... being unable to mount an effective immune response before the C.tetani organisms begin producing tetanus toxin.

Lucky_P,
What protocol would you recommend for someone banding newborns? Or, would you recommend waiting until the two doses of toxoid can be administered? I don't have a horse or a rope or a helper, so doing it while the calf is small would be most convenient. I'd prefer to cut them around 250#, but it's been a while since I did that as a youngster and always had an experienced someone looking over my shoulder. Where I'm at now, the folks all just band at birth...maybe. I'm still looking for a mentor.

Lucky_P,
What protocol would you recommend for someone banding newborns? Or, would you recommend waiting until the two doses of toxoid can be administered? I don't have a horse or a rope or a helper, so doing it while the calf is small would be most convenient. I'd prefer to cut them around 250#, but it's been a while since I did that as a youngster and always had an experienced someone looking over my shoulder. Where I'm at now, the folks all just band at birth...maybe. I'm still looking for a mentor.
"Protocol"???

I have no idea how many newborns I've banded. But I've never done anything other than banding and an ear tag... no meds... and never had a problem. Never lost a calf from banding. How's that for protocol...

"Protocol"???

I have no idea how many newborns I've banded. But I've never done anything other than banding and an ear tag... no meds... and never had a problem. Never lost a calf from banding. How's that for protocol...
Yeah, not a word I use often, I took the opportunity! It's what the AI folks say. We always had feeder calves at home, but we did end up helping a neighbor with cows/calves. I remember them putting one down with lock jaw that we would have banded young. Maybe that was a fluke thing? That was 30 years ago now and I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I'm paying the bills now though so I'd rather sell a bull calf as bury a steer.

It is good to hear the results you and the others describe.

Ditto with banding & no adverse effects. Knock wood!!!! Used to band at birth but now it's just me working newborns and while I'm pretty scrappy, I recognize my limitations. I'll tag, administer First Defense and Inforce 3, but banding as well would be hit 'n miss/maybe, maybe not. So changed my protocol (;)) and now the bull calves are banded at appx 3 months when I have a crew to work the entire herd. In a perfect world, they would get Cavalry 9 two weeks prior and again when we work/band them. But logistically, it just doesn't work out. Plus, I pay my crew, so that would be an additional expense.

On large cutter bulls we give both toxin and toxoid shots. On smaller bulls we just give the 8 way with tetanus. One of my vets say as long as you don't slit the bag there is no need for a toxin shot. He bands a large number every year. We may of been lucky for 8 years.

Lucky_P,
Band at #250 in a squeeze chute. Band on your terms not the cows. It helps to be able to pick favorable weather.

I've seen a handful of tetanus cases in neonatal calves banded at birth, but very low numbers considering the millions that have received a green Cheerio on Day One. I suppose giving tetanus antitoxin would reduce risk, but in the long run, I'm not certain that it's economically warranted.
What I'd advocate is making sure your cowherd is vaccinated & boosted with a Clostridial bacteria/ toxoid containing tetanus toxoid, and booster them every 2-3 years. That should result in the calf receiving anti-tetanus toxin antibodies in colostrum.
I have seen enough cases of fatal blackleg in adult cows with history of calfhood vaccination, that I no longer believe that calfhood vaccination is protective for life. As an aside, most of the adult blackleg cases I've seen have been in cows in an estrus-synchronization protocol.

Latest posts