Banded today - No Tetanus Vac

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView said:
Bright Raven said:
If you observe symptoms of tetanus in any of the calves, call a vet and have it treated. But yes. Antitoxin is administered to treat the tetanus. It neutralizes the toxins excreted by the bacteria. Clean the open tissue and use an antibiotic because the antitoxin is only to counteract the toxin, it does not kill the tetani bacteria or other bacteria that might infect the wound.
10-4, thanks for sharing your wisdom!

My pleasure to help you.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Unless you have had a problem with tetanus before or have those calves in some very nasty conditions i don't think you have any thing to worry about. Tetanus is a half brother to Blackleg just doesn't show up near as often.
It does show up more if there is muddy conditions or the ground has been disturbed. And so does blackleg. The rain this year in many areas shout watch out.

Likely still covered by some passive immunity from the cow, so shouldn't be a problem. Tetanus isn't a quick killer like blackleg, so you will likely see symptoms before they succumb to it. I have only heard of a few cases over the years.

Cavalry 9 is a good vaccine choice for the future. Cheap as borscht and well rounded coverage.

I remember when i was a kid i used to stay with my grandparents a lot and my grandmother was paranoid about tetanus. They were horse trainers and i had heard someone there had got tetanus sometime in the past. We had to have a shot every five years instead of the normal 10.

Redgully said:
I remember when i was a kid i used to stay with my grandparents a lot and my grandmother was paranoid about tetanus. They were horse trainers and i had heard someone there had got tetanus sometime in the past. We had to have a shot every five years instead of the normal 10.

Horses seem to be a lot worse with tetanus according to the vet i use.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Redgully said:

Horses seem to be a lot worse with tetanus according to the vet i use.
Several vets have said if there has ever been horses on the farm there is Tetnus in the soil. Every farm here used horses a hundred years ago.

Clostridium tetani spores are ubiquitous. Across the planet. Even above ground, they settle on plants, fence wire, in dust, etc. That is why if you get a bad puncture wound from a honey locust thorn, you need to go to the doctor and make sure your toxoid vaccination is up to date. Same if you step on a board with a nail sticking up or get a bad wire puncture. Puncture wounds are especially bad because tetani is anaerobic. If it is an open wound and you clean it well, tetani does not culture well in an aerobic environment.

We dehorn during colder weather. Anyone else worried about flies and summer heat when castrating and dehorning? Maybe you still have cold nights where you are? We couldn't get away with that very well down here in the heat of the South.

Little Cow said:
We dehorn during colder weather. Anyone else worried about flies and summer heat when castrating and dehorning? Maybe you still have cold nights where you are? We couldn't get away with that very well down here in the heat of the South.

I would not want to knife cut calves or cut horns off from April through a ways into October. I guess some do but I wouldn't want too, could probably get by with dehorning and cauterizing and pine tarring but I would rather not take the chance. We will band and for dehorning use an electric dehorner for small calves during that time.

That young , you have virtually nothing to worry about. We give covexin8 when we work em , so far so good.

Latest posts