Banded today - No Tetanus Vac

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not proud to admit it but we banded some 2 month old Brangus bull calves and I didnt give a Tetanus shot. Gave them Bar Vac 7, Lepto and Wormer.

Still somewhat new to this process and frustrated with myself for not knowing better as this was the first set I've banded.

These calves were born on my place and I haven't had a tetanus issue thus far (knock on wood). What do you all think? Pen them up again and administer or keep a close eye for the next few weeks and see what happens?

The oldest bull calf was 2 months and 10 days old.

Thanks in advance for your help.

maybe just give it to them at the next opportunity, with antitoxoid

I always band much younger, never given anything, never had a problem

What would you have given them for tetanus? I am not familiar with your vaccines, are you sure that your Bar Vac 7 doesn't include a tetanus toxoid? If they have not had any previous vaccination then the only thing that would help would be a tetanus antitoxin which is not a vaccine, just passive protection.

You will have to be unlucky to get a problem with tetanus.

Ken

BAR-VAC provides 7- or 8-way clostridial disease protection with the option for Clostridium perfringens Types C and D and tetanus protection

BAR-VAC 7 has a tetanus component, but it probably will give little protection for tetanus since the vaccine has not had time to take effect. (the second dose is supposed to be given 21 to 28 days later). At the same time, I would not fret over it. The chances of contracting tetanus are small. But, in the future, do not band until you are giving them the second dose.

Edit: With Bar-Vac the tetanus protection is optional. I don't know if yours had it or not. I wouldn't lose sleep over it this time.

Covexin 8 or Calvary 9 is what we use tetanus. Their cheap, easy and provides protection to a few things that won't ever happen. I'm just not into gambling.

sstterry said:
BAR-VAC provides 7- or 8-way clostridial disease protection with the option for Clostridium perfringens Types C and D and tetanus protection

BAR-VAC 7 has a tetanus component, but it probably will give little protection for tetanus since the vaccine has not had time to take effect. (the second dose is supposed to be given 21 to 28 days later). At the same time, I would not fret over it. The chances of contracting tetanus are small. But, in the future, do not band until you are giving them the second dose.

Edit: With Bar-Vac the tetanus protection is optional. I don't know if yours had it or not. I wouldn't lose sleep over it this time.

Bar-Vac 7 does not include a component for Clostridium tetani.

Only Bar-Vac CD-T does. T is for Tetani.
Here is the chart for Bar-Vac Vaccines:

Bright Raven said:
sstterry said:

Bar-Vac 7 does not include a component for Clostridium tetani.

Only Bar-Vac CD-T does. T is for Tetani.
Here is the chart for Bar-Vac Vaccines:

I stand corrected! I misread the chart.

If you used the small green bands, or cheerios. I wouldn't worry. If for some reason you used a california or callicrate bander on a calf that small, there is a chance because of the metal tags involved. At 2 months I'ld say you used the small bands.

Thanks for all the input. We used the Tri Bander so no metal tags or clips.

I Will definitely use a vaccine that covers for tetanus next spring. Seems like cheap insurance.

Your fine. It's not the best practice, but it's rare to lose one that way.

wbvs58 said:
What would you have given them for tetanus? I am not familiar with your vaccines, are you sure that your Bar Vac 7 doesn't include a tetanus toxoid? If they have not had any previous vaccination then the only thing that would help would be a tetanus antitoxin which is not a vaccine, just passive protection.

You will have to be unlucky to get a problem with tetanus.

Ken

So if I do end up being unlucky and having an issue with tetanus the antitoxin would be my go to, correct?

If you observe symptoms of tetanus in any of the calves, call a vet and have it treated. But yes. Antitoxin is administered to treat the tetanus. It neutralizes the toxins excreted by the bacteria. Clean the open tissue and use an antibiotic because the antitoxin is only to counteract the toxin, it does not kill the tetani bacteria or other bacteria that might infect the wound.

Unless you have had a problem with tetanus before or have those calves in some very nasty conditions i don't think you have any thing to worry about. Tetanus is a half brother to Blackleg just doesn't show up near as often.

One of my vets says a tetanus isn't necessary unless you slit the bag like some do. And he says if you give an 8 way with tetani it will have time to work as long as you don't slit the bag. We have banded up to 550 pounders for 3 years with no issues.

Lbass said:
If you used the small green bands, or cheerios. I wouldn't worry. If for some reason you used a california or callicrate bander on a calf that small, there is a chance because of the metal tags involved. At 2 months I'ld say you used the small bands.

Right or wrong that has been what I do too. If I use the little green bands I don't, although at that time I give them Covexin 8, though I have heard that it doesn't do any good against tetanus if given at the same time. If I use the bigger banders like Tri Bander, or XL Bander, then I will give them a tetanus toxoid I believe it is called. This year, I couldn't find any of the Tetanus Toxoid and a vet recommended vaccinating with Covexin 8 or Cavalry 9 and then waiting 4 weeks and giving another dose of the same and banding then.

I don't live in a perfect world and now band at appx. 3 months - green cheerio or large bands contingent on the size. Each calf gets Covexin 8. Knock wood, I've never had a problem. They don't feel good & mama beds 'em down but make sure you make them get up & move around the first few days to get the blood flowing.

We lost one this year to tetanus. We banded with green bands no metal, we actually banded a group earlier to avoid having to use the calibrate bands ( more expensive). We gave a shot of tetanus at banding and still had an issue. We did the same as we have done on calves for the past five or ten years and had not had an issue. After we had the issue our vet told us he had several cases this year so who knows. I can tell you it gives you a very sick feeling to lose one especially knowing it was preventable.

Gizmom

Bright Raven said:
If you observe symptoms of tetanus in any of the calves, call a vet and have it treated. But yes. Antitoxin is administered to treat the tetanus. It neutralizes the toxins excreted by the bacteria. Clean the open tissue and use an antibiotic because the antitoxin is only to counteract the toxin, it does not kill the tetani bacteria or other bacteria that might infect the wound.
10-4, thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Latest posts