No Snag eartags

Help Support CattleToday:

Katpau

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is going on with the no snag eartags, such as Z-tags and Y-tags. I have tried to buy yellow and white for over a year now and they are always out of stock. I prefer the light colors because they are easier to read at a distance, but I've finally had to order whatever I could get.

I just bought a pack of white and yellow on Saturday at our local feed store. I'll have to pay attention when I go back in to see if they are out. I did notice they went up $3 from when I bought some a month ago. 🤔

Shortages of materials and transportation issues?

And apparently, the Canadians are hoarding tags. :)

Oregon Trail Livestock had a full supply when I bought tags a couple weeks ago. I use orange but I didn't see any empty spots in their display.

Does anyone know what is going on with the no snag eartags, such as Z-tags and Y-tags. I have tried to buy yellow and white for over a year now and they are always out of stock. I prefer the light colors because they are easier to read at a distance, but I've finally had to order whatever I could get.
DC Coop (Roseburg) and Tractor Supply (in Sutherlin) have limited supply

I order all my tags through PBS Animal Health. I've had to mix and match for over a year. To get the colors I wanted. No AlFlex which is my preference. Ended up with white Z-tags and pink Y-tex.

Used All Flex for years and liked them but could not get them locally (Don;t Ask) but the shipping cost became prohibitive.
I switched to Y Tex and now I see calves with ears split open. Can't justify chip readable or I would try that. I have a state
registered brand but I really hate to use it on an animal.

DC Coop (Roseburg) and Tractor Supply (in Sutherlin) have limited supply
Neither place has the one piece tags on hand. DC Coop does not carry them in stock, but you can order them and they will attempt to get them for you. I expect they will have the same problem getting them that I have had. I don't know about Tractor Supply. I am not sure if they do special orders.
The two piece tags are available.

This year for my steers I bought the one piece Z Tags in the feedlot style. They are in plentiful supply and a fraction of the price of regular tags. They only need to last a couple hundred days.
Good idea. When I was trying to find cow tags I noted how less expensive the calf tags were. In the past the difference was minimal, but now it is substantial. I need to quit being such a creature of habit. Like you said, the steer calves and most of my heifers won't be here by winter, so I don't really need the cow size tags. Of course my eyes aren't all that good anymore, so maybe I won't be able to see those little tags.

Good idea. When I was trying to find cow tags I noted how less expensive the calf tags were. In the past the difference was minimal, but now it is substantial. I need to quit being such a creature of habit. Like you said, the steer calves and most of my heifers won't be here by winter, so I don't really need the cow size tags. Of course my eyes aren't all that good anymore, so maybe I won't be able to see those little tags.
The feedlot tags I got are full sized cow tags. (I like to be able to read them too) They are just flimsy. 3" wide x 4" high.

We have them at the 2 local coop stores . If you can't find any I'll be happy to buy them and ship . You can pay me when you get them .

We have them at the 2 local coop stores . If you can't find any I'll be happy to buy them and ship . You can pay me when you get them .
Thank you for the offer. That is very kind of you. I talked to the Coop today and they were able to special order the yellow ones. They are almost 50% more than the green ones I bought, but he told me they all went up in price recently. As a member of Coop, they sell them to me for just pennies above their cost and I know they are not price gouging me. They were a few dollars less than Amazon anyway. I guess I should have asked them before, but I am cheap and I had been able to get them for a little less by ordering online in the past.

I did use the z tag feedlot tags on feeders. Went with the one piece y tex feed lot tags. /so much easier to load than the z. My wife just orders them all from mwi. Talk to your vet they all have a account there. No problems getting anything even the kids weird colors.

I did use the z tag feedlot tags on feeders. Went with the one piece y tex feed lot tags. /so much easier to load than the z. My wife just orders them all from mwi. Talk to your vet they all have a account there. No problems getting anything even the kids weird colors.
The Ytex one piece tags are sold under the name Y-tag and I agree they are easier to load. They are like the Z-tags were, before they were bought out by a different company that used cheaper materials. I was not able to find any yellow Y-tags online at my usual sources either, and Coop has their contract with the Z-tag company, so that is what I will get. My Vet does have an account with MWI, but he sold the practice to a big corporation last year and they have increased their prices on everything. I know I'd pay double if I bought through them.

been using z tag feedlot tags couple years on calves...only drawback ..need to make sure the pin is straightened out on back of ear. taged some calves first year and several lost them because of me being used to regular z tags......have used all flex for years but several cows got split ears ...went to ztags...lose couple every winter but no more torn ears.

Latest posts