Horn flys no more

Help Support CattleToday:

Lisagrantb

Reaction score
Ok this is just preliminary and I've got to investigate a lot more but here's what we did. At our house we had a colony of leaf cutter ants start devouring some of our yard plants. So I ask our ag chemical guy that works for Nuterin what to use and he suggested Fipronil, so we bought a quart from him and it worked perfectly. The wife does a little checking and that is the same chemical that's in the dog flea and tick stuff that you put on there backs. Last year the horn flies around our area was terrible for everyone, this year they are pretty bad but not like last year. When we worked cows a couple months ago we put a pour on on them and we keep fly control minerals out all of the time. This works for a few weeks and then the flies will be back and it's been no different this year. Last year I started spraying the cows with a hand held pump up sprayer with permethrin to try and give some relief and it would cut the flies back about half for a week or so. This year after the flies came back I sprayed them with the permethrin and had the same results. About 5 days ago we decided to put 1/2 ounce of the fipronil in a gallon of water and spray a few head. About 2 days later I noticed that there was no flies, I mean no none not any flies at all. It has been 5 days now and I bet I couldn't find 50 flies on all the cows including the bulls. Everything I've read and the people I've talked to have said they see no reason for it to hurt cattle and this may just be a strange coincidence of some sort but I'm glad the flies are gone and I'm sure the bovines are loving it.

Ok this is just preliminary and I've got to investigate a lot more but here's what we did. At our house we had a colony of leaf cutter ants start devouring some of our yard plants. So I ask our ag chemical guy that works for Nuterin what to use and he suggested Fipronil, so we bought a quart from him and it worked perfectly. The wife does a little checking and that is the same chemical that's in the dog flea and tick stuff that you put on there backs. Last year the horn flies around our area was terrible for everyone, this year they are pretty bad but not like last year. When we worked cows a couple months ago we put a pour on on them and we keep fly control minerals out all of the time. This works for a few weeks and then the flies will be back and it's been no different this year. Last year I started spraying the cows with a hand held pump up sprayer with permethrin to try and give some relief and it would cut the flies back about half for a week or so. This year after the flies came back I sprayed them with the permethrin and had the same results. About 5 days ago we decided to put 1/2 ounce of the fipronil in a gallon of water and spray a few head. About 2 days later I noticed that there was no flies, I mean no none not any flies at all. It has been 5 days now and I bet I couldn't find 50 flies on all the cows including the bulls. Everything I've read and the people I've talked to have said they see no reason for it to hurt cattle and this may just be a strange coincidence of some sort but I'm glad the flies are gone and I'm sure the bovines are loving it.

"There are also livestock pour-ons with fipronil in many Latin American countries, mainly for cattle against horn flies and cattle ticks (Boophilus microplus), but not in the US, the EU or Australia. Interestingly, MERIAL introduced such a product in Brazil in the late 1990's, and later on in other Latin American countries. Such fipronil pour-ons have withholding periods of 100 and more days!"

One example is TopLine Pour-On by Boehringer Ingelheim.
"Topline Pour-on is a long-acting pour-on ectoparasiticide based on 1% fipronil..."
"Slaughter: Treated bovines must not be slaughtered within a period of 100 days after the last treatment, when the meat is intended for human consumption."

have try gone thru a rain yet ...did it wash off.. is it still working... .would like to try it..what should a quart of chemical cost.....thanks

Interesting! What have been the results until now? We have had bad flies here the last few years and nothing seems to work for more than a few days. I kept a mineral tub out this year with garlic and larvacid in it and that seemed to help a little. Curious how your experiment turned out.

Latest posts