cattle body structure/condition

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you all for your help. Just to be clear, I am definitely not trying to starve these cattle to save a dollar. Most of the time, majority of the cattle look very good. Every time the vet has come out, he always comments on how good my cattle look. Even now, with no pasture for the past 6 weeks, most look very good with some being fat. There are only a handful that look poor. This is why I have not been feeding them more, I try and follow what the majority look like.
Going forwards, could you please give me some credible guidelines on how much hay you recommend feeding dry and lactating cows? Also, your recommendations on the amount of protein cubes to be supplemented. I plan on doing some hay analysis asap, hopefully this will add some useful information but I only bale fertilized coastal.
Also, I am confused. Is the general recommendation not to worm after 3 years of age? I have worked with local ranchers before and they would worm every cow once a year.
Thank you all again.
Feed intake is around 3% of the body weight per animal.

Thank you all for your help. Just to be clear, I am definitely not trying to starve these cattle to save a dollar. Most of the time, majority of the cattle look very good. Every time the vet has come out, he always comments on how good my cattle look. Even now, with no pasture for the past 6 weeks, most look very good with some being fat. There are only a handful that look poor. This is why I have not been feeding them more, I try and follow what the majority look like.
Going forwards, could you please give me some credible guidelines on how much hay you recommend feeding dry and lactating cows? Also, your recommendations on the amount of protein cubes to be supplemented. I plan on doing some hay analysis asap, hopefully this will add some useful information but I only bale fertilized coastal.
Also, I am confused. Is the general recommendation not to worm after 3 years of age? I have worked with local ranchers before and they would worm every cow once a year.
Thank you all again.
I can see how you are confused, considering all the conflicting information we have all offered. That's the downside of an internet forum where all we have is a single picture and a tiny amount of information to work from... and so many personal experiences to work from to offer advice.

There are people here that want their cows butter-ball fat and anything less is starving them. Others that only feed if there is snow on the ground, and all kinds of pasture management from tall grass and few cows to many cows and them eating dirt.

I always wormed twice a year just after the first hard frost and just before the last snow. Some people once a year, and some people never.

Point is... that it's gonna be up to you to see if there's something that might apply, and you might do differently.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this... but how old is the cow in question? Old cows can lose condition, being fine one year and the next be losing weight fast. They don't last forever.

And one other thing... a lot of people here have offered advice, but have asked questions that haven't been answered.

The cows thatre having trouble maintaining acceptable condition would go on my cull list.

For me, I prefer my cows smooth with fat. Not obese, but no visible bones. I've got a couple right now that are going on my cull list.

I try to be sure my animals always have hay available of they're out of pasture. Not to the point they're wasting it, but I want their left side (rumem), in front of the hooks, to be full all winter. That's pretty much what I watch. If the lumen is full and they're seemingly losing condition, that tells me the hay isn't adequate and I will supplement some protein, usually with a protein tub because they're easy. Your cubes just need to be increased sounds like... maybe. Are any other animals losing condition at a high rate?

I've got 25 pairs, 3 yearling heifers, and a bull in the main herd right now and they're eating 2.5 4x5 rolls, estimated at 700 pounds, during this wintery weather. They've not touched the tubs in a week now. So the hay must be taking care of them. They might even be gaining condition.

If 90% of your herd looks acceptable, I'd cull the poor doers. Or at least put them on a 1st offender list and don't put up with a 2nd.

I worm on an as needed basis, and only that particular animal. If they need it again after that. They'll go on my cull list unless it's due to my management. I don't ever worm them all personally. It's hard on the soil and I feel like probably gets rid of beneficial stuff in their gut as well. That thought could be way out in left field though.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. You just need to cull a few in my opinion.

My method of feeding hay is when the hay ring goes empty, another bale is put in its place. If I see that the ring will go empty and I will not be able to get to it for a long while, I will put another bale on top of what is there. I let them make the call when they need forage.
Forgive me as I don't know where your ring is placed. If it is in a pasture field (most are) consider moving it to a new location within the field to distribute 'nutrients'. If it's on a Heavy Use Pad, then forget I said anything about moving the ring.

I will place my hay rings in areas depending on what is happening with my pasture. If I have an area in the pasture that the soil needs building up, I will place my hay rings there. Then as the cattle waste some of the hay and pack it with manure and urine, I will begin to move the rings across that section. It gives me a new few inches of top soil depending how long I let that hay ring sit. I may put three bales then move it. May do two. But by spring time, I have a fairly good size area that I have added a layer of top soil on. I had a hill that had a thin layer of soil on it the lespedeza grew real well on it as it sort of takes to a weakened area. But I rebuilt the side of the hill with feeding hay rings there and it has the nicest stand of grass and clover now. It usually takes a couple of years to make that grazing worthy. The soil has to break down and with the help of what ever grows there that summer, usually a wild grass will move in as the nitrogen leaves as it decomposes. Then the surrounding Bermuda begins to send runners to the area and before long, it looks like carpet.

This year, I brought my hay rings up closer to the barn on the east side where there would be a bit of a wind break.

But I find the hay rings a great way to build up weakened areas of a pasture maybe from where there have been bull rubs or where there was a hill that was farmed hard at one time when plowing took it's toll and being on a slope removed some of the top soil.

I will place my hay rings in areas depending on what is happening with my pasture. If I have an area in the pasture that the soil needs building up, I will place my hay rings there. Then as the cattle waste some of the hay and pack it with manure and urine, I will begin to move the rings across that section. It gives me a new few inches of top soil depending how long I let that hay ring sit. I may put three bales then move it. May do two. But by spring time, I have a fairly good size area that I have added a layer of top soil on. I had a hill that had a thin layer of soil on it the lespedeza grew real well on it as it sort of takes to a weakened area. But I rebuilt the side of the hill with feeding hay rings there and it has the nicest stand of grass and clover now. It usually takes a couple of years to make that grazing worthy. The soil has to break down and with the help of what ever grows there that summer, usually a wild grass will move in as the nitrogen leaves as it decomposes. Then the surrounding Bermuda begins to send runners to the area and before long, it looks like carpet.

This year, I brought my hay rings up closer to the barn on the east side where there would be a bit of a wind break.

But I find the hay rings a great way to build up weakened areas of a pasture maybe from where there have been bull rubs or where there was a hill that was farmed hard at one time when plowing took it's toll and being on a slope removed some of the top soil.
That's what I've been doing and it does seem to make a difference.

Other people's land must be a lot different than mine. There is no way I can feed hay in pastures. Unless we get a good foot deep freeze, which we have not gotten for several years, I would totally trash the pasture. I would make ruts. Cattle would punch it up horribly. We have sacrifice fields where we winter the cattle. We used to move the feeders in them. But, every year it would get so bad I would have a hard time with 4WD tractor bottoming out.
All except 1 sacrifice area, we put gravel pads along the fenceline and I feed bales OVER the fence into ring feeders.
I totally love the idea of moving bales around for the health of the soil, but ain't happening here.

Other people's land must be a lot different than mine. There is no way I can feed hay in pastures. Unless we get a good foot deep freeze, which we have not gotten for several years, I would totally trash the pasture. I would make ruts. Cattle would punch it up horribly. We have sacrifice fields where we winter the cattle. We used to move the feeders in them. But, every year it would get so bad I would have a hard time with 4WD tractor bottoming out.
All except 1 sacrifice area, we put gravel pads along the fenceline and I feed bales OVER the fence into ring feeders.
I totally love the idea of moving bales around for the health of the soil, but ain't happening here.
It takes some work ahead of time, but I've done bale grazing by setting up a moveable hot wire. It worked well to help some poor pasture out without rutting up fields.

@M.Magis I understand putting them out and using portable fencing.
I'm saying my cows on my pastures would ruin them. I have really deep soil and a LOT of moisture.
Also, how do you set out bales.
Do you have string wrapped or net wrap dry bales? I would think if I took my net wrap off ahead of time, my bales would be trash by the time they ate them. Also, I mainly feed baleage. No way I'm unwrapping them. Lol

Latest posts