Grass clippings

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
Due to the rains every day for a week (not complaining) my yard grass was a foot high in some places. I cut it today and caght t in a bagger. Could this be feed to cows after it drys out like hay. It was cut with a mulch mower and I spread it out to dry. I am concern that maybe it woul cause choking? I know when I cut with my zero turn mowe and cut down the fence row it throws the clippings tutu the fence and they will line up down fence row to get the clippings. The difference is the zero turn has high lift blades and throws grass 20ft with my hatch up. The mower I cut around my side yard I can't get a big mower in to it so I used a push mower with a nagger. It mulches the grass so this is my concern. I thought about mixing it with cotton seed to make it more palable. I won't feed any of it until I hear from y'all on this. Thanks

fed freshly cut or cured would be best..it may not be a problem ,but that in between time ,when its wilting. would be my biggest concern.

Feeding freshly cut grass from your yard to cows can be done, but there are a few factors to consider.

Firstly, it's important to ensure that the grass is completely dry before feeding it to the cows. Damp or wet grass can lead to mold growth, which can be harmful to the animals. Spreading the grass out to dry is a good approach.

Secondly, while cows can eat grass clippings, it's important to monitor the quantity and how it is fed to them. Large quantities of grass clippings can potentially cause choking or digestive issues, especially if the clippings are long and stringy. It's advisable to feed the clippings in smaller amounts, mixed with other feed sources such as hay or cotton seed, as you mentioned.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the nutritional value of freshly cut grass may differ from hay. The drying process can cause some nutrient loss, so it's a good idea to supplement the cow's diet with other balanced feed sources to ensure they receive all the necessary nutrients.

If you're uncertain about the suitability of feeding the grass clippings to your cows, it would be best to consult with a local veterinarian or an expert in cattle nutrition. They can provide specific guidance based on the health, age, and dietary needs of your cows, as well as the specific characteristics of the grass in your yard.

I saw a grass farmer on utube a while back that showed the farmer cut his grass and catch it on tarps then haul it into the barn to feed the herd. Was interesting to say the least.

Due to the rains every day for a week (not complaining) my yard grass was a foot high in some places. I cut it today and caght t in a bagger. Could this be feed to cows after it drys out like hay. It was cut with a mulch mower and I spread it out to dry. I am concern that maybe it woul cause choking? I know when I cut with my zero turn mowe and cut down the fence row it throws the clippings tutu the fence and they will line up down fence row to get the clippings. The difference is the zero turn has high lift blades and throws grass 20ft with my hatch up. The mower I cut around my side yard I can't get a big mower in to it so I used a push mower with a nagger. It mulches the grass so this is my concern. I thought about mixing it with cotton seed to make it more palable. I won't feed any of it until I hear from y'all on this. Thanks
Thanks for all the responses for the grass clippings. I do sometimes feed clippings when they are cut by the sickle mower. I just let them lay for a day or two and take up and haul to them. I just am not sure of this mulched grass cuttings as it is cut up so fine. Mixing a little with cotton seed might work you think?? After I turn it over again and let the bottom dry as well. Thanks

This is probably what makes the most sense
Feeding freshly cut grass from your yard to cows can be done, but there are a few factors to consider.

Firstly, it's important to ensure that the grass is completely dry before feeding it to the cows. Damp or wet grass can lead to mold growth, which can be harmful to the animals. Spreading the grass out to dry is a good approach.

Secondly, while cows can eat grass clippings, it's important to monitor the quantity and how it is fed to them. Large quantities of grass clippings can potentially cause choking or digestive issues, especially if the clippings are long and stringy. It's advisable to feed the clippings in smaller amounts, mixed with other feed sources such as hay or cotton seed, as you mentioned.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the nutritional value of freshly cut grass may differ from hay. The drying process can cause some nutrient loss, so it's a good idea to supplement the cow's diet with other balanced feed sources to ensure they receive all the necessary nutrients.

If you're uncertain about the suitability of feeding the grass clippings to your cows, it would be best to consult with a local veterinarian or an expert in cattle nutrition. They can provide specific guidance based on the health, age, and dietary needs of your cows, as well as the specific characteristics of the grass in your yard.

Latest posts