Death loss to Johnson Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've been putting in too many hours to really get the whole story,but my brother had a pretty significant death loss to some johnson grass hay. Hay was rolled back in August. Wasn't nitrates, and I thought prusic acid wasn't an issue after that long. Now, I'm worried. What else is in johnson grass, that will kill a cow?

I've been putting in too many hours to really get the whole story,but my brother had a pretty significant death loss to some johnson grass hay. Hay was rolled back in August. Wasn't nitrates, and I thought prusic acid wasn't an issue after that long. Now, I'm worried. What else is in johnson grass, that will kill a cow?
When did they ingest the hay in question?

And how do you know it wasn't nitrates?

Did the vet say what he thought it was about the johnsongrass that killed them? Also, was the hay 100% johnsongrass?
I'm sure he gave some indication, but what little I've shared is what I know. It was 50%, maybe more. Hopefully I'll see him this weekend. I just knew somebody would be like oh yeah, there's a 3rd thing to watch for, I thought everybody knew. Nitrates and prusic acid are the only 2 things I'm personally ware of.

I'm sure he gave some indication, but what little I've shared is what I know. It was 50%, maybe more. Hopefully I'll see him this weekend. I just knew somebody would be like oh yeah, there's a 3rd thing to watch for, I thought everybody knew. Nitrates and prusic acid are the only 2 things I'm personally ware of.

I'm curious as well because we feed hay with johnsongrass in it all the time and haven't had any issues.

I've never heard of cut and put up Johnson Grass being a problem. Drought stressed or frosted on, yes, otherwise no.

Would love to know the answer. Prussic shouldnt have been an issue. Was there any gypsum weed in the hay or in the field? I know it is often mixed in the Johnson grass here depending on the field. Not sure of how toxic it is in hay but it will sure kill one in a field. Only other thing i could think would be a weird mold and bad luck. Please keep us posted.

I wonder if it was "dry" hay or wrapped baleage. I know I can never get Johnson grass dried good just like sudangrass. Maybe a good bit of mold?

Latest posts