Sugar in grass causing grey poop?

Help Support CattleToday:

PremierLonghorns

Reaction score
My two month old calf (healthy, spunky, eating well) has a grey loose poop. I asked my vet and he said, probably the grass has a lot of sugar now with all the rain and new growth. I washed his tush with warm, soapy water and gave him an oral, electrolytes paste. The vet said, it'll probably be loose for a couple of days. He & his mama (she is pooping normal) are on grass but also have access to hay, protein/vitamin lick tubs. And he's on creep feed. Has anyone had experience with calves and grey poop? I never before heard of grass being sugary, Live and learn! Your thoughts much appreciated! Thank you :)

You sure the cow isn't just making a lot of milk because of lush grass? Not sure if thats a thing with longhorns or not. But this is when I usually see the heavy milk poops.

See it all the time , especially like you said . Lush early season grass . Moms milk is probably doing it , not the calf eating the grass . As long as it's not bloody or the calf looks dehydrated would I get bad concerned .

If your cattle have access to protein (tubs; alfalfa hay, creep feed, etc) while on grass, when the calves are young and the cow is milking good, the excess protein causes a PH imbalance and predisposes the calf to scours. I read an article on this in BEEF Magazine several years ago. Dennis Price was the author. I saved it for a long time, but it is missing now. I have googled it and tried to find it to no avail.

I'd take the extra protein away and see if it doesn't clear up.
Good luck!!

grey loose calf poop is from a glut of milk , cows milking better with the grass , and also she may have had a heat where it nursed less for that time , and then piged out , as long as it is acting normal I just watch them , as I see it all the time
Suzanne

Latest posts