Update on HPAI Detection in Kansas, Texas Dairy Herds

Help Support CattleToday:

It appears that highly pathogenic avian bird flu has jumped to mammals. I remember the Swine flu of 2008-2009 that originated in Mexico. I got infected with it when I lived in Texas before they knew what it was. I almost died at home alone out in the woods, too weak to turn over in bed or dial 911.

The previous bird flu, the one before this one, was usually found in free range home flocks where people had mixed chickens with water fowl. The ducks went swimming with the wild water fowl and brought it home to the henhouse

It appears that highly pathogenic avian bird flu has jumped to mammals.
It's always had the ability to infect mammals. Well, at least since 1998, when 18 people died from HPAI.

This abstract was from 2009:

In recent years, there has been an increase in outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in poultry. Occasionally, these outbreaks have resulted in transmission of influenza viruses to humans and other mammals, with symptoms ranging from conjunctivitis to pneumonia and death. Here, the current knowledge of the determinants of pathogenicity of HPAI viruses in mammals is summarized. It is becoming apparent that common mechanisms exist across influenza A virus strains and subtypes, through which influenza viruses adapt to mammals and gain or loose pathogenicity.

From 2013:

hpai.jpg

So you caught the bird flu? Any idea how you caught it? How long were you sick and what were the symptoms?
Jersey milker said it was Swine (h1n1) flu she caught, not bird flu.

I remember the Swine flu of 2008-2009 that originated in Mexico. I got infected with it when I lived in Texas before they knew what it was.

Luck said "So you caught the bird flu? Any idea how you caught it? How long were you sick and what were the symptoms?"

No, that was the the swine flu H1N1 epidemic of 2009. The virus jumped to humans on Mexican farm workers. I probably caught it Dec. 2008 at the Texas hospital where I was a nurse. Symptoms were respiratory, with muscle aches, fever and weakness so pronounced I couldn't even turn over in bed. I've had covid and this was much worse.

(Update)
I guess by now people have heard about this. The H5N1 Bird flu from last year that caused massive depopulation of poultry farms all over the world is still around. Now it's spread to dairy herds first in the Texas panhandle, then New Mexico, Kansas, Minnesota, and Idaho. The infected cows are 10% -20% of affected mil king herds and only affects middle age lactating cows. They have fever, milk production drops, milk becomes thickened like colostrum, and reduced rumen activity. Sickness peaks at 5 days, they recover in 2 or 3 weeks. None have died.

At a Minnesota farm they had to depopulate the ducks and chickens because of an H5N1 outbreak and their goats were lose in the same pens. 10 baby goats died because it had jumped to mammals. Well, now it has spread to another mammal, a dairy worker in Texas. His only symptom so far was conjunctivitis (red eyes) and they quickly gave him Tamiflu shots and put him in isolation. The raw milk crazies are now up in arms because the USDA and CDC says the US milk supply is safe because commercial milk is pasteurized and pasteurization kills germs and viruses.

i'm continuing to ingest COA lab-verified nicotinic acid on a daily basis.

Latest posts