Update on the calf I put on coach's thread

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
So yesterday morning she had her head caught under the fence couldn't stand and she only drank one cup of milk at her morning feeding, her breathing sounded terrible... 10:30 am checked on her she stood up and fell down, 1:00 pm got 3 cups of milk down her, she stood up leaning on me. 7:00 pm she drank 3 cups. This morning 6:00-used to be 5:00. She was standing at the gate waiting for me, drank 3 cups breathing sounds a lot better, at noon today she drank another 3 cups and she wasn't holding her head weird like her neck hurt anymore.

Calf only has a tiny White spot on her left eye, instead of the whole eye being white like it was. She drinks 3 pints Morning and Night and a Quart mid day. I tried bumping her to a full bottle and she went off her feed. She's doing well, just not gaining much weight, she's now on full fat raw milk. So hopefully she will start gaining weight. She was on replacer.

Last night we had bad smoke around us, from the national forest burns they're doing, so bad you couldn't see very far,. And this morning the calf was struggling to breathe, she was fine last night, before the smoke settled in and stayed. This morning An hour after I originally checked on her, she was dead.. She didn't have a fever, so that's why I'm wondering if the smoke was the turning point? I won't ever know, but if the smoke did take her out, I figure she would have died sooner or later anyway. It just stinks... I got attached to the little booger, she would follow me anywhere and she wouldn't leave my side.

Last night we had bad smoke around us, from the national forest burns they're doing, so bad you couldn't see very far,. And this morning the calf was struggling to breathe, she was fine last night, before the smoke settled in and stayed. This morning An hour after I originally checked on her, she was dead.. She didn't have a fever, so that's why I'm wondering if the smoke was the turning point? I won't ever know, but if the smoke did take her out, I figure she would have died sooner or later anyway. It just stinks... I got attached to the little booger, she would follow me anywhere and she wouldn't leave my side.
Dangit!
I hate that for u. They do get into your heart. Like a dog or for some folks, a horse.
It stinks but we just can't save em all.