Grass clippings

Help Support CattleToday:

There must be a lot of benefit the weekly grass cutting. In my yard, the Bahia and crab grass grows a foot high a more within a week. Looks super healthy too. It has filled in all the dead spots of St. Augustine I had after last years drought. It wouldn't be feasible, but I would think mowing Bahia/crab grass pasture weekly would increase growth drastically. I don't spray my yard, but have put fertilizer out in the past for the St. Augustine.

I don't spray it I just cut mine every three weeks or so and leave the clippings to spread out the back which fertilises the lawn , I can't understand why some people bag the clippings and put it in a big pile on the edge of the lawn to rot and then presumably have to buy stuff to fertilise the lawn later.

I don't spray my lawn so to speak but I'll walk the half acre and spot spray weeds I'm OK with clover.
30 + years ago I had a cow that would start mooing when the mower started, my wife dump the bag out there once one day that's all it took.

My thoughts exactly Kenny, I didn't comment as I thought it must be something you did a lot of over there.

Ken
In town most all people spray their yards. I only spot spray some undesirable patches in the lawn at home. Altho the neighbor mile down the road thinks he lives in the city I guess. He's constantly spraying, mowing, spraying, fertilizing, etc. Kinda nutty I think. 😆

Probly not a good idea to import "city grass" to feed your animals.

Due to the rains every day for a week (not complaining) my yard grass was a foot high in some places. I cut it today and caght t in a bagger. Could this be feed to cows after it drys out like hay. It was cut with a mulch mower and I spread it out to dry. I am concern that maybe it woul cause choking? I know when I cut with my zero turn mowe and cut down the fence row it throws the clippings tutu the fence and they will line up down fence row to get the clippings. The difference is the zero turn has high lift blades and throws grass 20ft with my hatch up. The mower I cut around my side yard I can't get a big mower in to it so I used a push mower with a nagger. It mulches the grass so this is my concern. I thought about mixing it with cotton seed to make it more palable. I won't feed any of it until I hear from y'all on this. Thanks
The cattle shouldn't choke on it. Why not just dump the bag over the fence and let them have it. With a push mower, you can't be talking about an enormous quantity.

My only concern was that my mower with the bagger is a push mower and has mulch blades on it. The clipping are chopped up very fine. Now when I cut along the pasture fence with my zero turn it throws the grass 20 feet, so I turn ithe discharge to the pasture fence and the cows see me they come running to get those clippings. They are not as finely chopped up. As for spraying the yard it might occasionally once or twice a year get spot sprayed for a specific weed like dandelions. Then that would be Grazon next or round up, but if it had been sprayed with in a month I don't use it.

I do it all the time when I have a lot of grass clippings. My cows will not do anything as long as I'm mowing,but when they hear my yard sweeper being pulled behind my mower they come running. With knee deep grass they still come running.

Latest posts