Post a pic of your bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Way too much white meat for my likings. It's the latest fad. Go for it. You lose a lot of red meat in your carcasses.
They mix well with sims…we got into sims back in the 80s. There was a push to make beef leaner. I never thought it was a good idea to cut the fat. I'm guessing the market didn't like it either, hence they basically look like an angus now. But my dealings with reg sims has been a while, they may look different now. But it's not what they were in the 80s

He's not mine but my heifer has a biscuit in the oven from him.
View attachment 42951View attachment 42952

Notice the tightness of the family jewels and lack of sheathyness. This is where daughters get those good high udders and strong suspensory ligaments.
I've always wondered about the beef fascination with big nuts. I mean, it only takes one sperm. I suppose someone, somewhere has tested bulls with big balls against bulls with smaller balls to see how many cows they can settle in a single estrus cycle, but I've never read anything about it in any kind of official, science type study article. It would be funny if we have been making all these decisions and having all these concerns and the idea was just something that got popular. And all along we would have better udders if the bull had tighter equipment...

I've always wondered about the beef fascination with big nuts. I mean, it only takes one sperm. I suppose someone, somewhere has tested bulls with big balls against bulls with smaller balls to see how many cows they can settle in a single estrus cycle, but I've never read anything about it in any kind of official, science type study article. It would be funny if we have been making all these decisions and having all these concerns and the idea was just something that got popular. And all along we would have better udders if the bull had tighter equipment...
There is lots of real research proving SC is VERY important.
Bulls become sexually active at 28cm. Larger sc means higher sperm count AND larger SC means daughters mature at a younger age.
So, no, we have not been fatuated with big nuts for nothing.
See this 1 report. There are many others.

Attachments

• bc_2007.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Bulls become sexually active at 28cm. Larger sc means higher sperm count AND larger SC means daughters mature at a younger age.
I don't have any research to back it up but I have heard that a bigger SC is also linked to daughter fertility.

So I'm still asking what we are giving up. Are the big SC bulls throwing less well suspended udders? Perhaps leading to early culling? If a Jersey bull is being selected for a tight equipment package and can still settle cows, what are the things that are being missed? Is there some kind of big difference between a bull that produces 3.4 billion motile sperm per ejaculate and another that only produces 2.whatever? I know people that run bulls on BLM and they don't like bulls with a lot of hanging testicle or flapping sheaths.

"Here's a couple Porterhouse steaks on a serving platter. Marbling not showing well, but graded Choice. Main thing they are super tender - the #1 requirement by the consumer."

As a housewife I will not pay more money than God has for these low marbled steaks to feed my rancher my husband and I'm not the only one.

Absolutely in the dairy world tight bull sexual equipment leads to longer useful and more udder lives of daughters in a dairy herd because their tight high udders hold up to massive amounts of milk.

Just like the Beefmaster breed south Texas people bred sheathier bulls because of the extra skin radiated the heat. This led to increased prolapse problems in the daughters. The original Lasater Beefmasters were bred to work without in all influences this led to calving problems these shealtier bull work in more northerner climes. They had to split the registry for a while..

When you have retail beef steak at shockingly high prices people will go for pork and chicken. This is just the way of the world. Beef steaks with little or no marbling does not help.

Last edited:
Now hold on Jeanne, this article states that they based their conclusions partially on the scrotal measurements of 'mice". :)

the last one.... pretty intensive care they give to their cattle and I'm guessing approximately 0% on here would like to get the government involved in their breeding program...

Latest posts