Please help me decide!

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest":vgsrrkwh said:
TexasBornNRaised":vgsrrkwh said:
Well too be honest I'm a little torn between what to aim for and I'm trying to figure that out before I do anything drastic and was hoping that suggestions that I liked would steer me in the right direction.

How much land do you have to work with?
Being in "West Central Texas" a better question might be "how much grass do you have to work with".

Where are you TVBNR?

I've got a little over 100 acres to play with and the grass has been less than satisfactory in recent memory (like the last two years) but it's usually what I would call pretty decent and this year was growing like wild fire after we got 10 inches of rain in a week this summer. I'd say the parts are in place to leave the cattle well enough alone a majority of the year and most of the "neighbors" are able to feed very little extra even in only mediocre years. I don't know if that answered the question exactly but maybe it'll give you some idea.

So, if "one pair" is a 1200lb mama cow and her 300lb calf (on average), are you talking 10 pairs year round ... 20 pairs year round ... or 5 pairs year round.

What does "less than satisfactory" and "pretty decent" mean?

wacocowboy":3d598rsq said:
Caustic Burno":3d598rsq said:
wacocowboy":3d598rsq said:
if you like Herefords cross the with Brahma tiger stripe heifers will out sell anything

You are 100% correct but you will get hammered on the steers.

yeah that is one of the crosses you want 100% heifer crop

Two words... Sexed semen.
Might be worth the time and investment if you would AI, even just one year.

Two words... Sexed semen.
Might be worth the time and investment if you would AI, even just one year.[/quote]

GlaacierRidge nailed it, sexed semen! Its getting cheaper and more accurate all the time. You got that degree, so use it make something better than a bunch of us ol coots could....Lot of us got a lot common horse sense, the trick is to mate that book learning with some common horse sense.

Im outa the cow biz now and doubt I will ever get back in. My land will be sold of into little mini ranchette's , with me holding the note.....and heaven help em if they don't pay the bill....Wife says if I grew a handlebar stash and got a tophat I could be a regular DIck Dasterdly.

Having said all that if I got back in. It would be with some good Brahman papered stock...but it would have to be cows that still could work. Not your usual lazy seedstock. Use sexed Hereford semen and raise some Golden Cerified F1's....calfs learn from their momma's how to hustle, that would be the reason for Brahman moms. That animal will sell anywhere, and anytime in the south and the west, in any market. I loved using my Limi bulls on this type of momma cow.

Good luck to you , and DONT go into business with family.

Latest posts