New to me. Black Brahma bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher678

Reaction score
I just never have seen one. Here they are usually white, silver or smoked grey. I saw an almost black w some smoke on his belly Brahma bull laying up near a gate. Funny thing was there was a group of about 8 pure black calves laying up with him. I should of taken a picture. I guess it was his turn to babysit because I didn't see any momma cows. I suppose calves were an Angus / Brahma cross? Pure black best I could tell

There are a few really dark pigmented purebred ones, but most of the black or black and white ones come across will have Sardo in them like this one.

There are a few really dark pigmented purebred ones, but most of the black or black and white ones come across will have Sardo in them like this one.

Holy cow, that bull has some ear. And I googled "sardo cattle" and they have a lot of ear too.

That bull would be better classified as a Zebu.…https://brcutrer.com/what-color-are-brahmans/
They are all Zebu: Gyr, Guzerat, Indu-Brasil, Nelore, Sardo and American Brahman, which is a composite of all of those previous 5, plus some. The poster said he raises Sardo Negro (black Sardis) and Gyr. Actually the bull is typical for his breed, and would probably place high in a breed show.

They are all Zebu: Gyr, Guzerat, Indu-Brasil, Nelore, Sardo and American Brahman, which is a composite of all of those previous 5, plus some. The poster said he raises Sardo Negro (black Sardis) and Gyr. Actually the bull is typical for his breed, and would probably place high in a breed show.
I saw a small herd of "Zebu" for sale near here that I'd have offered to buy (to flip) if they'd have answered the phone. I posted about it, they were lighter and a little different from what I'm used to seeing in indocine cattle.

Yep already know that thanks..and he's definitely typical for his breed ..no guts no butt. looks like a hand slung chittlin

Last edited:
I was unaware that registered black brahmas were a thing until recently as we. Ranch near El Reno, where i bought my F1s, has them. Looks like your normal grey/red brahma, but black.

Latest posts