Please discuss this bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks to have good numbers, although that doesn't always mean much to me.
The outfit that bred him promotes that their cattle are are bred to handle fescue and are slick haired. That part would be pretty important to me. The bottom side of the pedigree goes back to Gardiner lines, their kind of cattle also work good here especially for terminal type cattle.
The height EPD looks good to me as far as possibly having good frame size on calves at sale time.

Good epds. Picture shows a good looking bull. My experience with the cattle that have been stacked extensively with the modern carcass bulls is daughters lack the maternal traits I am looking for. Since the AAA has tied foot epds to the genomic test I have zero confidence that feet will be improved using their data. The bull in question doesn't have a pedigree full of udder improvers on the bottom side anyway.

He looks decent.
My interpretation of his epds are:
Potentially a heifer bull
Average to slow growth for his calves until weaning and then they'll take off a bit after they're put on feed.
Not a bull I'd use to make replacement heifers (poor $E, below average feet, etc).
Should make some excellent finished beefs if you want to go that route.

Having said all that, his EPD's have stich low accuracies, this is all guesswork at this point..

I don't see much wrong with him in the photo but that image doesn't blow me away. The maternal grandsire GAR Prophet might lower his feed efficiency a little. I have a few Prophet cows which I like, they are fertile but a little harder doing rearing their 1st calf or two but always go back in calf promptly. His frame size is at the lower level to what I normally associate with a Sydgen bull.

Ken

I would like to add that this bull epitomizes what's wrong with the Angus breed. On the surface a useable bull but his maternal side has 5 consecutive et dams. Pretty hard to know anything about longevity and stability when the recip cow is raising the calf. Embryo transfer in a maternal breed has a place but only after a cow has proven herself. As a commercial producer I am tired of the excuses for the modern Angus cow that comes up short too often on fertility, foot quality, udder quality and maternal aptitude at calving time. The terminal traits are driving the bus and numbers won't solve the problems I see in my herd. I haven't used all the popular bulls but the ones I have used have mostly disappointed me when I calved the first daughters.

Friends have used this bull AI and I had concerns as to the maternal side. You have answered what I needed to know. Thank you very much!!

Thank you for update Faster Horses. If the cow herd in question is stable enough you can use a bull like this one generation and get along well enough. Just don't stack it on the next generation. Just my experiences anyway.

Latest posts