Pinzgauer cows cross to ????bull for all black calfs?

Help Support CattleToday:

CircleBcattle

Reaction score
The local stockyards cut the red and white Pinzgauer from $.10 to .20 per pound. So I have tried breedeing Angus and Brangus bulls, they throw black calfs but about half of them have white tails with a price cut of .05 to .10 per pound for all black calf with white tails. Just not sure what breed to try next to wipe the white tails off or maybe go back to full blood Pinzgauer and find a market?

They cut for the white stripe here also. We call them skunk tails.The best thing to do is find a market. You'll never get the stripe completely out of the calves.

They call them pin stripes around these parts,put I call'em skunk cows. I have good luck keeping the all black calfs they seem to never throw white tails but the black calfs with white tails will almost always have white tail calfs. I have some 3rd generation angus cross and they still have white tails. But this year I sold all the white tail calfs, kept 38 all black ones.

I don't think that there is that much of a market here in Texas for Pinzgauers. There are 3 or 4 breeders and I think that they mainly just sell to each other, there is one breeder that consigns his heifer's to a sell every year in Tenn.

We recently sold 2 Fullblood Pinz. heifer's through the sale barn, 1 was 7 months bred, the other 8 to 8 1/2 months bred, at the same time we sold a set of twin bull calves(5 months old), the 2 bull calves brought more money together than the 2 bred pinz heifer's did together.

So the rest of the FB pinz heifer's that my son owns, will have one natural calf (bred to a Simbrah bull) then if they raise a first calf and have good udders and milk production, then they will be used as recips for Simbrah embryos, otherwise, they will be put through the salebarn.

There just isn't a market for them, too much white, buyer's think that they are Longhorns or Longhorn crosses. Maybe the Pinz. breed is just an ornamental breed for pretty cows in the front pasture.

That's just my opinion and our experience with them.

From what I understand, the pinz marking is dominant, and difficult to get rid of. I think your best bet will be to either find a niche market for them, or change breeds to a solid black animal. Because really, if you are just going to chase black, you may as well get angus or similar.

We have been breeding ours to our black maine bull and some of them have very little white. Just recently a young girl we sold a Pinz Angus cross heifer to breed her to a maine and the calf is sold black.

Pretty simple really. The F1s will have a 50% chance of throwing the stripe when bred to a solid color bull. They're interesting animals, but unfortunately very few folks take them seriously.

cfpinz

Buyers sure don't want them here either. Really a shame cause they are good looking animals with good temperaments. Its bad when you can get more for a water buffalo than you can a heavy bred pinz at the sale barn.

CircleBcattle":8swe1zuu said:
The local stockyards cut the red and white Pinzgauer from $.10 to .20 per pound. So I have tried breedeing Angus and Brangus bulls, they throw black calfs but about half of them have white tails with a price cut of .05 to .10 per pound for all black calf with white tails. Just not sure what breed to try next to wipe the white tails off or maybe go back to full blood Pinzgauer and find a market?

Do away with all the ridiculousness and feed (or send to feedyard) them yourself.

Problem solved.

One of my sons Pinz heifers, we bred to a Simbrah bull that always throws solid red calves hoping for a solid color calf, however, she had it last Sat. afternoon, it's red all over except, for the tail and up from the tail on the back to about even with the hip bones it's white. A little splash of white on one of the back legs also and some of the belly is white. So it still looks like it came from a Pinz. All of is other Pinz. heifer's are in with a black white face Simbrah bull at this time being bred, so, can't wait to see what their calves come out looking like.

We were just happy to get a live and healthy calf :clap: , from some of the horror stories that we have heard about Pinz. heifer's having 120 + pound calves and losing them.

CircleBcattle":5zqhfz9h said:

If I remember my genetics classes correctly, you won't find a breed to wipe out the white tails because white is dominant - look at the matings of Hereford and Black Angus. The calves are white faced, or brockle faced.

If you want to get a consistently better selling calf out of a pinzgauer around here, simply use a charolais bull. You wont get a black calf, but you will get a yellow, high selling feeder that sometimes has a faint white tailbone, but it doesnt hurt the selling price. The pinz cows milk great and will grow huge yellow calves and will put dollars in your pocket. Any other bull you use will still throw some white tail calves.

I wouldn't try for black. I would breed to a breed that the skunk markings can go along with. Shorthorn, Maine, Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis (calves will maybe look like a beefmaster cross). Charolais or Simmental may work too.

There is no bull you can breed a Pinz to for a all black calf.
You're better off trying to find a market for Fullblood, I think.
At least it's easier trying to find a market for Purebred Pinz for us.