picture of one of GreenWillow's heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
He can tell you about her, here is the pic...

gwheifer.jpg
[/img]

Cert and I think Camp will like the paint job on this model. This is a very poor photo of her, doesn't do her half justice. She is a little thin as the pasture she is on is needing rain badly. She is a line-bred Hazlett/Turner Ranch heifer, a half sister to my old 092 bull. I traded a fancy cherry fireplace mantle for her. He was going to sell her as a commercial female due to excessive white. A club calf breeder from Indiana tried to buy her out from under me.

Wouldn't mind a little more belly on her, but otherwise, the excess white doesn't scare me off. Beautiful looking girl overall. :D

The ranch that this heifer came from has developed three branches of the Hazlett/Turner Ranch family tree: The Rupert Tone, the Major Rupert, and the Tcaldo Tone. The Rupert Tones are his and my favorite; and they are the thickest and growthiest, probably the best milkers. The Major Ruperts are framier. The Tcaldo Tones are the calving ease branch, and it is not uncommon for them to have birthweights in the fifties. The heaviest calf ever sired by one of his Tcaldo Tone bulls weighed 82#, and was out of a Rupert cow. He has occasionally introduced a bit of Line One blood, but very seldom. I think there is one bull with genetics tracing to Lone Star a ways back in the pedigree.

The above heifer was sired by D Rupert Tone 641, and out of a Major Rupert cow. 641 calves tend to have more white, with a longer featherneck, etc. For this reason, he culls some of them for excessive white. He registered the heifer for me at my request, and I will be breeding her to my more conservatively marked bulls. (She was exposed to the bull in Feb-March and I am getting ready to have her preg checked) This heifer would have been a replacement for him, but there are two small white spots about the size of a large coin right in front of her hindquarters, on top in line with the featherneck. Those were the deciding factor.

These Hazlett cows have been culled and selected hard for 40 years for good udders, milking ability, thickness, marbling, and disposition. It is not uncommon for a fifteen year old cow to wean a calf over 600# in this herd. Sorry for the long-winded post, and probably more than you ever wanted to know.

boy thats 1 nice heifer i dont blame you for wanting her for your herd i bet she would make a good show heifer as well some guys cull the best cause they dont fitt what they want scott

bigbull338":pyzokenb said:
boy thats 1 nice heifer i dont blame you for wanting her for your herd i bet she would make a good show heifer as well some guys cull the best cause they dont fitt what they want scott
Thanks

Animals from this herd have been successfully shown when the fads came back around to where they have always been. The funny thing is, the breeder could care less about chasing show fads, but every so often they shift around to the type of thick, moderate framed animal with spring of rib that he has. A steer from this herd took reserve grand out of over 100 head of all breeds at a fair in Indiana three or four years ago. I think it was the same breeder who tried to buy this heifer before I came to pick her up.

if you have kids of showing age id sure spend the time to break her to lead an get her ready for show circuit ill say it again you got a heck of a heifer there scott

bigbull338":ffyk9d1j said:
if you have kids of showing age id sure spend the time to break her to lead an get her ready for show circuit ill say it again you got a heck of a heifer there scott

Oldest son did show a Tcaldo Tone heifer a couple years ago. Decided to let him grow up a little more before doing it again. This heifer would be too old to show 4H by this fall. I think 24 months is the max.

Glad you like her.

oh boy i love to look at well bred cattle an her breeding shows on her have had herefords in the family almost 100yrs off an on great grandad had reg horned herefords line one bred cows and bulls dad had reg horned herefords for a few yrs before we started the dairy then i got into polled herefords for a few yrs so i love good hereford cattle an i can spot them scott

NICE HEIFER! MORE WHITE THAN I LIKE BUT STILL VERY NICE.
MY DAUGHTER IS IN 4-H AND THERE SHOULD BE A CLASS FOR
THIS HEIFER.SEEMS LIKE WE AWAYS GET BEAT IN THE OVERALL CLASS BY THE ANGUS BREEDERS (A LITTLE THICKER).
OR MAYBE JUDGE IS JUST COLOR BLIND!

You are very fortunate to have traded for this one.

I like the way she is put together, and I also like the chrome.

Good thing you had a cherry mantle piece hanging around your place.

CowCop":3tomzxem said:
You are very fortunate to have traded for this one.

I like the way she is put together, and I also like the chrome.

Good thing you had a cherry mantle piece hanging around your place.

Thanks. I am a fifteen year professional woodworker. I custom built the mantle. This was not the first time that I have traded custom woodworking for cattle from this breeder.

Maybe Im a little confused by your picture Certified Hereford Beef.....is this a heifer that you bought from Green Herefords to add to your herd??? And may I ask why you would buy a spotted heifer like that?? You dont plan on using her as aregistered cow do you?? To much white is a big problem for some of us with marketing and eye trouble put together....eye problems can be helped with pigment..I dont see any on her...and I cant for the life of me figure why anybody would want a spotted hereford. If cattle buyers dock me for spots on calves i sure as heck dont want a breeder perpetuating those. And if the original breeder thought that she needed to be culled who are you to override that decision?? Some registered cattle need to be killed instead of bred.Do some of you think that just because an animal has papers that she deserves to reproduce herself?? Or jsut because she has papers and a pretty "paint job" ?? LOL
Not trying to start an argument I just want to know WHY

Guess Ill be the lone ranger here but I sure dont like the heifer(am I really the only one??)...not just because of the spots that will cost me discounts but also not nearly enough capacity for a cow that has to rough it for a living..maybe if you keep a trough in front of her she would do all right. I know the Green guy said that she doesnt always look like that...its only because its so dry...but I see a lot of green stuff in that picture...makes some cattle country look pretty darn good. And if shes only 20 months old how does he know she doesnt always look like that?? Are we suposed to beleive that she used to be deeper but isnt now that shes older?? I didnt know it worked like that. Shes 20 months old..its time for her to start looking like a cow if shes not just another spotted feeder heifer

tapeworm":q1jyl7yc said:
Maybe Im a little confused by your picture Certified Hereford Beef.....is this a heifer that you bought from Green Herefords to add to your herd???

Tapeworm,
That is not my heifer. That is Green Willow's heifer. He traded some woodworking to a local breeder near him for her. I simply posted it for him because until recentally, he didn't know how to post a picture.

I also mentioned to Greenwillow that she had a little too much paint for my taste. :)
Does that answer your question directed to me?

Tapeworm, you need to read the thread from the first post to the last in order to have an understanding of what is going on. It is also your privilege and right not to like the heifer. She's far from being my favorite, but as I said, the picture is not a good one. If you were familiar at all with the numerous posts I've made over the months, you would know that my cattle do not have a feed trough kept in front of them. The heifer is currently being kept in a area not over an acre and a half, which she shares with a steer. I haven't moved her to the lease yet because I haven't had her preg checked yet. The grass is green, but the height of a golf course for the most part.

She comes from a herd that has been culled rigidly against eye problems, pigment or no pigment. I've yet to even have a case of pinkeye to date, although the neighbor to my lease has had it in his black cows. I intend to breed her to more conservatively marked bulls.

Some of us value integrity highly, and when it is insinuated that we are lying, we don't like it.

Why don't you have the courage to post some photos of your cattle so the world can evaluate them?

Latest posts