Pharo cattle company

Help Support CattleToday:

And who determines "worth".
Some here have posted about selling "junk wagyu cross weaned calves at the sale barn for .30-60 cents a pound.
While others on here have wondered if a semi load of similar calves they help ship if the hauler had enough insurance to cover the cost of the load if it was lost . As it was the most expensive semi load of cattle he had been involved with.
If I were going the wagyu route..the stockyard is the last place Id be taking them..but if you take #2's to the stockyard they're sure to determine their worth for you ..

And who determines what a number 2 is?
Is the color of the hide a determinant in what a #2 is?
Is a purebred wagyu at a stock yard a number 2 ?

Bottom line, the buyers at the stockyards will set a value on whatever is there. It really don't matter if it's a registered Angus out of what ever or Wagyu they are only going so far. I've never personally seen a Wagyu but if the description of them that I have heard is true, they would probably be on the lower end of the sale.
There would have to be a direct market outside of a stockyards to justify them.

Found out that the Gelbveigh was a Simmental strain in Europe but rejected by the founders because of their temperament.
I really doubt that.. For one, Gelbvieh is a german breed, while Simmental is a Swiss breed, yeah, they're geographically relatively close, but simmentals from Switzerland looked like what Fleckviehs look like now, Both were dual/triple purpose breeds and had to be handled. the Swiss simmental association would have no interest in the german Gelbvieh's anyhow

Gelbvieh cow.jpg1672852456930.png

I'd say just overall a wagyu would be #2 to 3 if they are run through the barn..

Bottom line, the buyers at the stockyards will set a value on whatever is there.
So the value or worth of any and all cattle is only what the stockyards say they are worth.
Do you know how ridiculous it would be for that to be true.
Sorry purebred breeders you can only sell your top replacement breeding animals for what the stock yard says they are worth because that is all their true value is. Sorry the PBR bucking bull of the year is only worth what the stockyards say his value is for hamburger.
Grand champion cow of the national stock show is only worth what ever value those at the stockyards would pay for meat value.😳

So the value or worth of any and all cattle is only what the stockyards say they are worth.
Sorry purebred breeders you can only sell your top replacement breeding animals for what the stock yard says they are worth because that is all their true value is. Sorry the PBR bucking bull of the year is only worth what the stockyards say his value is for hamburger.
Grand champion cow of the national stock show is only worth what ever value those at the stockyards would pay for meat value.😳
You are taking what I said out of context. I was speaking entirely about stockyards since stockyards had been specifically mentioned in a previous post.
As to your question on the stockyards setting a value. Yes, the buyers at the stockyards set their price, in the animals that are there at the sale.
That in no way shape or form limits what an animal can be sold for off the farm. If you can find a buyer that's willing to pay, you can sell it for whatever.
Can't believe I'm even responding to this.
Obviously many of these purebred folks sell for many times over what an animal would bring at the stockyards.
Thats why I said in my other post and will go into more detail now if you have something that's out of the mainstream breeds and kind then you have to have a plan to direct market as much as possible and not use the stockyards.
Yes, like I said previously, if somebody took a famous Angus bull to the stockyards and expected him to bring what he would at some registered sale, they would be in for a big disappointment.

Those feeder grading standards are an east coast thing. I have been to cow sales in 6 states here in the west/northwest and have never once seen the graded sales that people from the east talk about. Want to broke quickly? Raise Wagyu and take them to the sale. One neighbor breeds his replacement heifers to Wagyu. Contracted his F-1 calves to an outfit that raises Wagyu. A hair under $1,200 per calf. Another neighbors straight Angus calves sold for a hair over $1,300 per calf. But without that contact and selling those F-1's at the sale they would easily sell for $500 less.

You're comparing commodity prices to specialty item prices. And it appears you're doing it just to cause an argument. It's getting old.

You're comparing commodity prices to specialty item prices. And it appears you're doing it just to cause an argument. It's getting old.
If you don't like my posts ask your buddy dave how to put me on ignore.if you can't handle different points of view or discussions that challenge your opinions.
Every post on worth or value in this thread was in response to a post about "asking twice what it was worth"
Who determines worth or value?
What something is worth is not determined by the lowest bidder. If you expect every one to accept what you think it is worth or your single opinion you will be disappointed your entire life.
I thought this board was to discuss different opinions,options ,strategies,ideas surrounding cattle.
Some appear to think it is just an echo chamber where only one point of view is valid,and all should stand around singing kumbia and tell each other how great the same point of view is.
To each their own. But I am not one to tell someone how great their point of view is I am someone to question all points of view including my own In effort to grow and learn.

Both sets of weaned wagyu cross calves are a commodity, both will end up in feed lots both will end up on someone's dinner plate. The key is knowing who will pay the most for what you already own. The potential quality of the animal doesn't change just because of where you choose to sell . The genetics of the animal doesn't change based on the price point you choose to sell at.
The genetics or quality of a nonblack hided calf doesn't change if I choose to sell the butcher ready calf at the sale barn or sell it directly to the consumer.
If I already own the commodity why should my thought process be "hope I make a profit when I sell to buyer."
Why is that better than "who can I sell it to who sees the highest value in a commodity I already own. At a price we both are comfortable with. And that I can make enough profit to cover for my time and expenses, so that I can continue to raise this commodity if I so choose."?

As i said earlier, have a plan B. You can not force someone to buy your cattle at your price.

Those high dollar purebred folks still sell there culls at market price. That butcher cow brings the same price with or without registration papers.
I am aware of many purebred "culls" that end up in other purebred operations or commercial herd or direct to consumer for far higher prices than the burger buyer at the sale barn would pay.

Can't force me to sell cattle at a price dictated by someone else any more then I can force them to buy.
If you don't want to pay my price great I will find someone who will. Many forget that. Only thing I think is on the same level is hauling your commodity to auction and not being there to bid on it or watch it sell.

I am aware of many purebred "culls" that end up in other purebred operations or commercial herd or direct to consumer for far higher prices than the burger buyer at the sale barn would pay.

Can't force me to sell cattle at a price dictated by someone else any more then I can force them to buy.
If you don't want to pay my price great I will find someone who will. Many forget that. Only thing I think is on the same level is hauling your commodity to auction and not being there to bid on it or watch it sell.

In case you are not understanding, I will say again have a plan B.

Yes but what is wrong with that? Saleyards and barns are a very handy place to be able to immediately cash in cattle.

Ken

I can't force you to sell your cattle at a price dictated by someone else, but your banker sure can

At a price we both are comfortable with.
I think this is the key point in determining worth.

Worth is what a buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept. If you can't find a buyer willing to pay the price you want, you have the option to keep it, at that point it becomes worth your selling price to keep it in your possession. Otherwise, you would reduce your price during the negotiations to arrive at a deal with the potential buyers.
Worth is also unrelated to the cost of production; you could have a lot of money invested into an embryo transfer calf that doesn't turn out according to expectations and is worth less than it cost to produce.

I can't force you to sell your cattle at a price dictated by someone else, but your banker sure can
My banker can't he has zero ability to force me to sell my cattle. He has no financial interest in them.

Yours can't either. He can get a court order to take possession of them. Then sell them afterwards but he can't force you to do anything.

Latest posts