Pharo cattle company

Help Support CattleToday:

Evidently you didn't do your due diligence before buying your Herefords. I was raised around Herefords. I bought my first registered Hereford in 67. Have never had the issues you state. My Uncle managed a herd of 1,000 Hereford cows for 33 years. He never had the issues you state. Him and one hand took care of them and 44,000 acres of arid rangeland. They calved 150-250 heifers many years. I know many more that did. And most Hereford breeders I know culled any issue when it showed up.
The breeder is Lents not Lentz. No I have no monetary interest in his herd. But I'm sure I have seen way more of them than you have in Canada. You are condemning a herd and a breed on one cow and 20 head you owned. When you had issues with the Herefords you changed breeds. When I had issues and found it is an issue in some Gelbveigh bloodlines I did like you and changed breeds. I hold the breed accountable. They have been in existence for many years and still have the issue. There Is very few left in this area and there is valid reasons for their decline.

Evidently you didn't do your due diligence before buying your Herefords. I was raised around Herefords. I bought my first registered Hereford in 67. Have never had the issues you state. My Uncle managed a herd of 1,000 Hereford cows for 33 years. He never had the issues you state. Him and one hand took care of them and 44,000 acres of arid rangeland. They calved 150-250 heifers many years. I know many more that did. And most Hereford breeders I know culled any issue when it showed up.
The breeder is Lents not Lentz. No I have no monetary interest in his herd. But I'm sure I have seen way more of them than you have in Canada. You are condemning a herd and a breed on one cow and 20 head you owned. When you had issues with the Herefords you changed breeds. When I had issues and found it is an issue in some Gelbveigh bloodlines I did like you and changed breeds. I hold the breed accountable. They have been in existence for many years and still have the issue. There Is very few left in this area and there is valid reasons for their decline.
you're still doing exactly the same thing you're accusing me of, meanwhile Gelbvieh cattle generally are very known to be docile.

You hear about the vet that went to check on a group of 3 cows? He looked in the pen, the Salers cow jumped clear out, the Angus broke through, and the hereford prolapsed

And no, it's not my joke, Herf's are pretty well known all over for it. Places where they get more exercise will greatly help with the problem, and perhaps that's why you don't have it. I'd love to make my lazy arses move more, but apart from feeding them as far from water as possible, it'll definitely make that weakness apparent. Like you, I do hold the breed accountable.

Across Canada, registration numbers for Herefords are declining quite markedly, as are registered Angus numbers though not to the extent. There are some nice hereford cows, but there's a whole lot of really ugly ones!
1673140610114.png

Personally, all my Simmentals and those I have been exposed to are and have been gentle giants. I have culled 1 heifer calf strictly on temperament over a good number of years. She went to a feedlot.
I haven't fooled much with today's black Simmental at all, ( that I know of. I may have and just not known it...just thought they were some kind of commercial part Angus) but I do remember the first Simms when they got down here, and one of the things I did like was how docile they were, even the bulls. Scott's brother has been monkeying around with his 3 way Brangus/Chi Angus/ black Simm cross for a few years now, and when I first saw them a few years back, and he was telling me all about him I asked " Why add the Simmental?" And his answer was a quick "For disposition!" We brought 5 of them over today, to use on those 100 Corrs we are going after in the morning.

Is it true that smarter cattle tend to be less docile? Read one study that said we've dumbed the cattle down to increase docility. Wonder if that works directly against mothering instinct/ability and such. It seems like some of the less docile cattle make better mothers, but I haven't tried to research that one.
Good question, but I doubt smart cattle tend to be less docile. My Santa Gertrudis were exceptionally smart and very curious, at the same time calm and workable. Limo were almost as smart and I had no issues, but I know some that did. Herefords probably not as smart as any other breed, but it's hard to say because it could be they were just too calm to appear smart. My angus were cows I never trusted. I doubt that means they were more intelligent. Just my opinion based on my own experience. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Yes many select for docility , and in my opinion it affects mother ability.
A extreme example are Holstein milk cows.
In my opinion docility and motherabilty are antagonistic.
I expect my cattle to defend and protect their calves. Many see this as a negative trait and select against it. To me good mothering is my just under fertility in priority. If a mother allows her calves to be approached by predators or allows other cows calves to bully or harass their offspring that is not ok with me.
I'm not sure, but it would surprise me if docility and mothering abilities are the same or linked traits.

Good question, but I doubt smart cattle tend to be less docile. My Santa Gertrudis were exceptionally smart and very curious, at the same time calm and workable. Limo were almost as smart and I had no issues, but I know some that did. Herefords probably not as smart as any other breed, but it's hard to say because it could be they were just too calm to appear smart. My angus were cows I never trusted. I doubt that means they were more intelligent.
Interesting. I would think the most intelligent cattle might be the hardest to handle. I have a red angus that comes and checks where I'm at every single time before she'll go into the corral to drink. The one time I did close the gate, she still knew something was up and tried to run out as I headed over there. But she's been a good mom. my braford heifer is the same. Always knows where people are and stays away.

They both seem to be the smarter ones in the herd. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

As I don't check my cows every day, I'd prefer them to be a bit more independent, anyway.

Good question, but I doubt smart cattle tend to be less docile. My Santa Gertrudis were exceptionally smart and very curious, at the same time calm and workable. Limo were almost as smart and I had no issues, but I know some that did. Herefords probably not as smart as any other breed, but it's hard to say because it could be they were just too calm to appear smart. My angus were cows I never trusted. I doubt that means they were more intelligent. Just my opinion based on my own experience. Your mileage may vary.
I've had wild SOB's that were dumb as bricks and vice versa

"Mega" was a very particular cow, I could do anything with her, ride her, milk her, she'd lead with a piece of string, but she HATED people.. anytime someone else was around she'd wander off 100 ft and pout with her ears back, and don't you dare give her an apple with a speck of rot on it!
Meanwhile, a very closely related cow to her is just a total social butterfly, and her daughter is super smart (Wish I had time to train her to do tricks, she'd pick up on that so fast).. she doesn't care about the herd, she wants human company

We used to have a couple of other Gelbveih breeders on here in the late Hillsdown and 3 way cross. I can't recall hearing of temperament problems from them, in fact Hillsdown was a city girl that adapted to farm life. I enjoyed seeing photos of their cattle.

Ken

Well, that's a Loaded question!! ALL breeds have good and bad. Some bad dispos are inherited, some are developed by breeder/owner.
"Generally" the small statured breeds tend to be the nastiest in all species.
Again, getting away from the mainstream breeds, the Sanga and African Zebu breeds are all renown for their docility (and are all small to medium genotypes). this is due to the relationship between the cattle and the owners in an environment of high predation and so dependence on the herders for protection and close contact in daily herding and night kraaling. The Simmentaler and Hereford herds my in laws sourced bulls from in Namibia were all good, docile herds and the bulls bought for the commercial herd were equally as docile as the Tuli bulls on the farm.

Not that it matters but the Corriente's I have been around were/are uncanny smart which leads me to the question,
What has this discussion to do with the Pharo Cattle Company?
Well to refocus, below is what I think has been explicitly said, somewhat implied and can be inferred from this thread.

The Pharo Cattle Company:

1) Has become quite known in the cattle world over these past 15 or so years. They seem to have been successful because they a) offer a different model than the mainstream market, b) boost that model with a bit of counter-culture rhetoric along with the prospect of selling the progeny of their beef to the organic and/or grass-fed market c) provide an experience at their auction that makes the newer herd-builders feel a bit more safe and taken care of and d) have expanded into newer markets at regular intervals to protect themselves if one single market weakens.

2) Has a model that seems to have been competently expanded by strong-minded leadership that is not afraid to provide black and white answers to many customers who need them, especially if those customers feel passionate about doing something new in today's complex market.

3) Offers different cattle than other breeders. They use Angus/Mashona genetics. The Pharo cattle are much smaller framed (frame scores 2.5 to maybe frame score 4), and their main claim to profitability is that these cattle are more efficient and can produce more pounds of beef per acre.

4) They claim that their genetics can go 'anywhere' and thrive, from down in hot Texas to up in cold Nebraska or maybe even Canada.

The critique of the company by some people in this thread were:

1) The cattle don't produce calves that you can market anywhere but retail, so they really take away from your ability to take advantage of multiple marketing avenues if economic situations change. If one has to send those cattle to the local auction market, some even intimated that it was the producer who was the one going to slaughter.

2) The cattle, especially some of their bulls, don't seem hold up to an experienced cattleman's eye when it comes to good confirmation, even when one is talking about only being raised on grass.

3) With what we know about cattle genetics, it doesn't really hold up that a smaller Angus/Mashona type cow can thrive up north. After all, with ruminants like cattle, when it gets really cold they are going to need a bit more weight/energy storage to stay warm. Perhaps the larger 'guts' on the grass-fed cattle help with this, but many experienced cattleman seemed to have some reservations. And common sense tells us that the farther north you go, the less acclimated cows like Brahmans and Mashona cattle and their resulting crosses would be. And, if you were going to breed for that, it would probably take much longer than 20 years at the Pharo Cattle Co's herd numbers etc.

4) Solid proof/testimonials that the Pharo cattle have made the producers that buy their bulls any money hasn't been seen by may people who joined this thread, if any. Testimonials have been posted where the producer regretted going that route. Some people thought the company's success might be the result of good marketing and/or riding the grass-fed/organic meat wave that producers are jumping into with capital with the hopes of future returns, but there really hasn't been as much solid proof that jumping on the Pharo cattle model is sustainable for the long-term producer. But proof of failure to profit also hasn't really been presented, either.

So how did we end up discussing Corriente cattle?

1) If you want smaller-framed cattle that do well on grass and produce more pound per acre (which is one of the main selling points of Pharo cattle, Corriente are already the ready-made solution that exist out there. a) They are already suited to the environment, b) they max out at around 600lbs for the females so you can run more Corrientes per acre, c) they breed back really good in average condition, and d) they are lower maintenance than many other types of cattle.

2) Many cattlemen feel there is a big likelihood that you will make more money on using Corrientes crossed back to a beef bull, not because they or their progeny are higher-quality cattle, but because the initial capital investment (buying tens of thousands of dollars of grass-fed genetics vs. Corrientes at 350$ a head or so) and subsequent input costs (feed costs) are lower. Your ROE is likely to be better while at the same time your risk/reward outlook is a bit rosier, all the while keeping your management input/marketing costs lower.

3) People on this site just like to talk about cattle, so topics also tend to wander hither and yonder:).

Hope this helps.

you're still doing exactly the same thing you're accusing me of, meanwhile Gelbvieh cattle generally are very known to be docile.

You hear about the vet that went to check on a group of 3 cows? He looked in the pen, the Salers cow jumped clear out, the Angus broke through, and the hereford prolapsed

And no, it's not my joke, Herf's are pretty well known all over for it. Places where they get more exercise will greatly help with the problem, and perhaps that's why you don't have it. I'd love to make my lazy arses move more, but apart from feeding them as far from water as possible, it'll definitely make that weakness apparent. Like you, I do hold the breed accountable.

Across Canada, registration numbers for Herefords are declining quite markedly, as are registered Angus numbers though not to the extent. There are some nice hereford cows, but there's a whole lot of really ugly ones!
View attachment 24678
Herfords and related cattle, like Gerts, were prone to prolapse here in the SE USA, too. Maybe it was more of a PH rather than a HH issue. We had GV crossed for a short time: GVXAN. Growth was good, no real docility issues but dumb calves. Quit then and dumped the semen.

Herefords were across the board known for bad udders, pinkeye and prolapse. This is not bad mouthing, just very common knowledge back in the earlier days.
They made great strides in fixing the pinkeye problems back in the 80's with miraculously getting LOTS of goggle eyed cattle. Pigment on the eyes greatly reduces pinkeye. Funny, they also had the diluter gene around the same time period.

Use be folks would argue about diffevent ideas..now they argue about the same thing , it's just who can articulate it better..
It's common in internet conversations for people to get caught up in semantics and being critical of the WAY an idea is being expressed... rather than sticking to the subject of discussion. I see it all the time. We get so invested that even when we are essentially saying the same things we want to be the one recognized by the other. Sometimes we create our own problems. Very common human failing.

Well, sorry, I won't have time to watch that ENTIRE video. I'll be too busy setting up my Corriente Registry. And, BTW, corrientes are definitely distinct from Crillos. The distinction goes back to two distinct groups brought on the same boat in 1493.

As the story goes, they ran out of hay on the way over and separated the lesser, homelier cattle and decided to throw them over the side (they were in such bad shape sailors already on a hard-tack diet didn't even want to use them in their chili.

But fate was standing by. A cabin boy, who later ended up being the Great, Great, Great x25 generations of every single animal rights group in North America today threw himself in front of the cattle in question and said that he'd feed them. The captain figured, "What the hey, I'd like to see how this turns out." So he gave the cattle to the young animal rights activist.

Days passed and the cattle didn't die. Nobody could figure out how that boy did it, but he kept those cattle alive. When they finally reached the new world after three hurricanes and two typhoons blew them off course for another 6 months, some of the sailors had even starting showing signs of revering the boy and the cattle. In fact, even when they got low on provisions after having finally sighted land but then subsequently being blown back out to sea by a class five tornado for another two weeks, the sailors refused to consider eating the cattle because they were now 'special in a way we don't understand,' to quote an Irish sailor named McAngus that was on the boat. Others agreed and said they'd rather starve.

When they finally got those cattle off the boat in Central America, the weirdest thing happened. Those cattle refused to eat any lush, green, native stuff, but instead went straight for creosote brush. As creosote brush is abundant up towards Texas, that group headed straight for El Paso, while the Crillo stayed around Mexico.

The captain, who had felt quite entertained by the whole episode, asked the boy, "What did you feed them to keep them alive?" The boy said nonchalantly, "Well, one thing you're never short of on a sailboat is pine pitch. Turns out it has good energy and just enough protein content to get them through tough times."

And there folks, is the story of the ancestors of the corriente cattle we have in Texas today.

I'll work on a history for the other breeds when I get the time. But for now, I've got to get to work.
It's spelled "criollo" but I suspect that doesn't matter.

Sale barns in the United States can vary quite a bit. Most private sellers and private buyers don't frequent the sale barn often enough to really get to know the operators. Some operators are very good and run their barns professionally to maximize profit for sellers, which increases their percentage. Others operate as though only interested in getting the best deals for the buyers.

It's important for livestock producers selling through a sale barn to know as much as they can about the barn(s) they use. One may be better for selling and another better for buying. Knowing the operators and having a relationship can yield better financial results.
Unfortunately I believe you hit the nail on the head. Couple of the local sale barn around here cater to two different groups. One is the buyer. To keep a buyer coming back you have to give concessions. Most times it is real quick through the ring and certain buyers usually end up with those calves. Others are those larger ranches who have influence that the sale barn that stays on the bid gets the most business from them. Many a day the better calves brought less as a buyer got them on quick count and lesser calves brought more when the auctioneer hung just a little longer. Then there is the auction house that runs their own farms and the thin cattle often end up there.

Two of my tamest cows.. each adopting an orphan, basically told them to take it, gave them some tail scratches and they were good with the extra duties. First cow pictured got me confused last year, she was about to calf (I was out of town), and when I came back she had a calf mothered up, but it wasn't hers.. Only figured it out when I saw her with two calves on my security cameras. Any calf in front of her is going to get licked clean, and her calves are always SPOTLESSLY clean
I'd rather help 1 in 10 calves a little bit with no fuss than 1 in 100 and and risk life and limb to do it
20180416_153719 Chroma adopting.jpg20170412_104132 kama adopting.jpg

Latest posts