Pharo cattle company

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
Has anybody used any Semen from pharo cattle company? What was pros and cons?

Lazy M":24q1ag33 said:
trin":24q1ag33 said:
Pro: low input; Con: low growth
Very well stated. They are too moderate for the buyers in our area. Many frame 4 and shorter. Calves are docked when sold.

if you have a large number of cattle I can see the decreased amount of weight to feed would put you possibly in a better position, even with a lower price per calf.

I'd describe it this way ...

To make money in cattle, you need to play offense and defense ... you need to market your cattle and you need to keep expenses low.

Pharo helps you play defense.

elkwc":3rj2klvl said:
Very well stated. They are too moderate for the buyers in our area. Many frame 4 and shorter. Calves are docked when sold.
Its a wonder he don't hold a seminar with them,telling them how their screwing up...

elkwc":1o0mlqrp said:
Lazy M":1o0mlqrp said:
trin":1o0mlqrp said:
Pro: low input; Con: low growth

From what I have seen they would be way too small of a frame to be practical on the market here. The larger frame feeder calves do better in sales here, the more moderate ones just don't bring what ones with some frame will. Calves that are small framed would get seriously docked.
Even if you could run a few more smaller cows, I'm not convinced it would be economical.

WalnutCrest":20locikk said:
I've wondered about running a framier, yet calving-ease, bull on Pharo cows ...
Hard to get "small" out of cows once you get it in them. Genetic "small" is persistent.

WalnutCrest":b4u6znr3 said:
Sounds like the potential for a train wreck. Small is small, disperse and start over. It's much easier to bring frame size down in my experience than increase.

Large framed bull on pharo cows do not always give you large framed calves. I agreed with the others, small framed calves get harshly docked.

Ebenezer":fvvwby8a said:
WalnutCrest":fvvwby8a said:
Hard to get "small" out of cows once you get it in them. Genetic "small" is persistent.

To avoid any uncertainty, I've never owned a Pharo cow or bull (although I did buy some semen on the Mashona bull he sells semen from) ... just wondering if that's a solution for anyone who things the calves from his bulls are too small.

It's easy to pot-shot almost everyone's program. Pharo is no different.

Seedstock producers need to produce what they produce, and do it consistently so that other people know what they're getting when they get breeding animals from them -- buyer beware. Pharo (imo) does that.

You may not like what he's doing, but he is doing it pretty consistently year in and year out, and so the people who buy his bulls can be really pretty confident that they'll get what they want if they buy a bull from him.

Muddy":crdovzc1 said:
Large framed bull on pharo cows do not always give you large framed calves. I agreed with the others, small framed calves get harshly docked.
Use to have a couple of "Pharo Pimps" posting on here from time to time....maybe they'll show up.

Will add a few more of my observations on the Pharo cattle. The first time I ever heard about them a coworker brought a catalog to work and was telling me that him and several others were going to his sale and how he had developed cattle that were the answer for all cattlemen in this area. I looked at the catalog and had my doubts. They went to the sale and a few bought some high priced bulls for that time and brought them home. When I saw them it confirmed my initial thoughts when I looked at the catalog. Within a few years not a single breeder still had a bull left. They were docked for the calves and were giving up 60-100 lbs at weaning. Since then I've talked to several others who have tried them and they all tell the same story. One still uses semen from Pharo bulls on his heifers and that is all. He had used them on cows previously but stated like all have that he was giving up too many pounds along with he dock. We were weaning heavier calves in the 60's in the arid region of NM than the Pharo calves wean at. The area of OK where I run cows now had several breeders for a few years and Pharo sold bulls in that area at least once. In a year many of the bulls were for sale on Craiglist and now I don't know of a single breeder who uses them. He is a great marketer and it seems to me he has a knack for finding a new area to market bulls in when one dies out. This is a free country I'm just stating the observations I've made and why we don't consider them. If someone else chooses too that is their right. I've been told some other things by good friends where he lives but won't share it here. I feel he had some good ideas when he started but have took them to an extreme now. He used to partner with some good cattlemen that he no longer does. Again it is a decision each breeder has to make and by being well informed it is easier to make a good decision.

elkwc":vzaem1ci said:
He is a great marketer and it seems to me he has a knack for finding a new area to market bulls in when one dies out.

Kit will be in Wisconsin in two weeks. His business seems to be growing. Last time I saw the numbers - - his type of cattle projected a cow/calf operator would run 30% more cows and make 10% more per acre. But, I would never buy one of his bulls to produce feedlot cattle. :cowboy:

A few folks keep bringing up a terminal over maternal breeding system. This should work for more than just Longhorns and Jerseys. ;-) What line of cattle have shown good feedlot results when crossed with small frame BEEF cows?

Neighbors here bought three Angus bulls from Pharo a year ago this spring. 900 lb 2 year olds. One with bad feet, one failed the semen test his new owners gave him, twice, and the third one died 3 weeks ago. Kit gave them a voucher for the blank one so they could purchase another. They weren't cheap either.

gcreekrch":5ta4an7i said:
Neighbors here bought three Angus bulls from Pharo a year ago this spring. 900 lb 2 year olds. One with bad feet, one failed the semen test his new owners gave him, twice, and the third one died 3 weeks ago. Kit gave them a voucher for the blank one so they could purchase another. They weren't cheap either.

Have heard and seen similar stories here. Two y/o's under 1000 concern me. I want more growth than that.

elkwc":6wc1ylkd said:
gcreekrch":6wc1ylkd said:

Have heard and seen similar stories here. Two y/o's under 1000 concern me. I want more growth than that.

The bad footed one definately couldn't be blamed on too much hot feed. ;-)

gcreekrch":1qwulqxo said:
elkwc":1qwulqxo said:
gcreekrch":1qwulqxo said:

The bad footed one definately couldn't be blamed on too much hot feed. ;-)
I agree

Latest posts