Out of Africa

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Two young hereford bulls that will be used as clean-up sires this August. They are paternal half brothers out of two paternal halfsisters. 0621, the younger have never seen any grain in his life, 0617 was fed for less than a month before being shown as an 11 month old bullcalf. They have been on rather poor pasture all summer and 0617 had two short breeding seasons on sale cows. I just moved them to good pasture this morning.

As I've stated on the tags one will be used more in a terminal role on mostly commercial cows and the other in maternal role on the registered herd.

100_3225-1.jpg

100_3222-1.jpg

100_3205-1.jpg

Interesting bulls and landscape.

I see alot of cows that could use bulls like that.

sooknortex":8s6elv81 said:
>>Interesting bulls and landscape<<

What is that forage? Looks good!

The perenial grass is kikuyu, but that is going dormant now for the winter. The kikuyu was overseeded with oats and rye grass in the second half of March. That specific pasture is under irrigation though, we are in a drought and if it wasn't for irrigation there would only be sand now.

Very, Very nice, is there any american breeding in those bulls?

Mac, there is but not close up. Some GK Renegade on the bottom side (5 generations back) and TRM CCF Pride on the topside (3 generations back)

Good looking bulls Knersie, really like the amount of bone they have, hate to see thick topped bulls standing on toothpicks, they look good.

Those bulls add even more weight to your commentary on these boards, and as far as I'm concerned you have something valuable to add to most discussions. Those are fine looking bulls. Mind telling us why you chose each one for his respective role?

I'd love to have grass like that. Mine is two to three inches tall, and pretty thin in spite of the rain, because the lease is far from prime property. Been putting off fertilizing for too long.

KMacGinley":12pm6rx8 said:
I will take a cane of 617 Knersie. :) Let me know where it is available.

Aren't you afraid of the "big ole pallet heads"?

The USDA is dragging their feet on an import protocol from SA, JHambley have been trying for months now to get them to finalise it to bring embryos in. About 6 months ago they were 1 month away from a protocol. :roll:

I am currently talking to Semex so if that comes through it should be available in Canada.

Mind telling us why you chose each one for his respective role?

It's mainly because of their dams.

0617's dam is in my opinion very close to the ideal cow for my conditions. She is just about a frame 5, but with loads of capacity, decent muscle and plenty of milk. 0617 himself is also a frame 5 so he is very moderate. His biggest asset is his capacity, depth and easy doing ability.

0621's dam is a bigger more powerfull cow with oustanding width and muscle. She could be a better milker though. 0621 will mature between a frame 5.5 and 6 and is harder muscled than 0617. 0621 will just finish this breeding season here before he goes to his new owner. He is already sold.

Both bulls will have quite a workload, but in all honesty I wouldn't have minded using 0617 on everyone.

Very nice. What do you think 617's mature weight will be?
Sure would like to see him crossed with my Brahmans. He would bring them down a bit making some great F1 mommas.

novatech":p9upzz79 said:
Very nice. What do you think 617's mature weight will be?Sure would like to see him crossed with my Brahmans. He would bring them down a bit making some great F1 mommas.

2000-2200lbs

If you get a deal done with Semex, let me know. I may be interested in some. The will probably help me get to where I am going.

KNERSIE":2z1q71dj said:
Mind telling us why you chose each one for his respective role?

It's mainly because of their dams.

0617's dam is in my opinion very close to the ideal cow for my conditions. She is just about a frame 5, but with loads of capacity, decent muscle and plenty of milk. 0617 himself is also a frame 5 so he is very moderate. His biggest asset is his capacity, depth and easy doing ability.

0621's dam is a bigger more powerfull cow with oustanding width and muscle. She could be a better milker though. 0621 will mature between a frame 5.5 and 6 and is harder muscled than 0617. 0621 will just finish this breeding season here before he goes to his new owner. He is already sold.

Both bulls will have quite a workload, but in all honesty I wouldn't have minded using 0617 on everyone.
I like you thinking knersie. looks like you know how to put a animal together.

KNERSEI Very good looking young bulls. 8) We'll need to see some pics of the offspring. :nod:

Latest posts