Not an honest used truck out there....

Help Support CattleToday:

4wd is one of those "best to have and not need it than to need it and not have it' things.
I only needed 4wd a couple times on my old place. Didn't have it on the truck but I guess the truck and tractor I pulled it out with combined to = 4wd.
My old place was flatland flood plain. I could drive anywhere on 99% of the time without getting stuck, but was the kind of place that had a hardpan on top and if you ever broke thru it, you may have to pull the truck 100 yards before getting back up on top. Down under, had no bottom. 4wd really wouldn't help much as my neighbor found out the hard way more than once driving where I told him he couldn't.

"No worries...I got 4wd!"

"Hey Don, uh.. bring yore tractor...I'm stuck and stuck good!"

Around here though, you'd have to look long and hard to find a used 2wd. Lots of hills and rocks.
I wouldn't have a diesel pick-up that wasn't 4wd. That motor makes it very heavy on front. If you park a 2wd on grass with even a slight slope, you can pee on the rear tires and get it stuck.

I've gotten stuck on wet grass on a slope with a 2wd and we get a little winter weather and our area is hilly so 4wd is handier than a shirt pocket, not saying I wouldn't buy a 2wd but there'd have to be a huge price difference for me to want to.

Neighbor's 4wd are all diesel. Some have flat bed, some not.
Weight distribution is irrelevant once your down under...at my old place. You can drive on it and feel it give, almost wavy like. I tried never drive in the same tracks twice in 1 day.

Here, a completely different story. 'Down under' top soil is unconsolidated sea bottom rock, goes down 50' or more..

I've gotten stuck on wet grass on a slope with a 2wd and we get a little winter weather and our area is hilly so 4wd is handier than a shirt pocket, not saying I wouldn't buy a 2wd but there'd have to be a huge price difference for me to want to.
Last year when our Explorer finally died, I bought the ole lady another Ford SUV.. I think it is called Escapade. This thing is front wheel drive when in 2wd, and 4wd engages the rear. I have noticed you rarely need 4wd.. the front wheel drive is nearly as good. Can leave it in that mode in most places we had to put the Explorer in 4wd. I hate the thing. I don't drive it enough,. to be able to find the lights, the heat and air, radio etc.

I have thought of some great innovations I would love to be able to sell the ideas to a manufacturer. They would capture the lion's share of the market if they incorporated these features. This thing I have now, has the dimmer switch and the windshield wiper/washer, all on the blinker lever. I try to dim the lights, or signal a turn, and water squirts every where and the windshield wipers start up WFO. . Takes a while to hit the right combination to cut them off. I would build a car/truck with the dimmer on a button on the floor close to your left foot. You just stomp it once to dim, again to brighten, etc. I would put a knob on the dash you can reach with your left hand, that you pull half way put to cut on running./parking lights, all the way out to cut on the head lights. You'd turn the knob to the right to cut on inside lights. There would be a knob on the dash you reached with your right hand. You turn it to the right to cut on the wipers. One click for slow and another for fast. That is all the speeds you need. You could push it and hold it down to squirt water on your windshield, It would quit squirting when you quit pushing. The blinker lever would work the blinkers only. And best of all, I would make the driver side and passenger side windows square. In front of them, I would put a little triangle window that would would open out. Handy if you smoke, or if you want a little fresh air without getting rained on or messing your hair up! The radio would have a knob on the left that cut it on and off, and adjusted the volume. And one on the right to change channels. Oh. And the glove box! It would be big enough to hold your gloves, a 30' tape measure, a 44 mag and a box or two of ammo, a claw hammer, a big flash light that uses the big square battery, a bottle of pennicillin and some syringes, a fence tool, some staples and clips, extra fuses, a few packs of cigs or cans of Skoal, and lunch!!!

I think I found one! Didn't know how true my earlier statements were when I said classic. I found a 1977 F350 that has 46k original miles. Has a title but has never been registered for street use. No rust under the truck or in the engine compartment, was stored in the barn unless it was being used for pulling the hay trailer. Was a farm truck its whole life, with a headache rack flatbed and a gooseneck hitch. Started the 351ci through the window with the touch of the key on a cold engine. I pick it up tomorrow....

WOO HOO!

Pics will follow, tomorrow of course.

Last year when our Explorer finally died, I bought the ole lady another Ford SUV.. I think it is called Escapade. This thing is front wheel drive when in 2wd, and 4wd engages the rear. I have noticed you rarely need 4wd.. the front wheel drive is nearly as good. Can leave it in that mode in most places we had to put the Explorer in 4wd. I hate the thing. I don't drive it enough,. to be able to find the lights, the heat and air, radio etc.

I have thought of some great innovations I would love to be able to sell the ideas to a manufacturer. They would capture the lion's share of the market if they incorporated these features. This thing I have now, has the dimmer switch and the windshield wiper/washer, all on the blinker lever. I try to dim the lights, or signal a turn, and water squirts every where and the windshield wipers start up WFO. . Takes a while to hit the right combination to cut them off. I would build a car/truck with the dimmer on a button on the floor close to your left foot. You just stomp it once to dim, again to brighten, etc. I would put a knob on the dash you can reach with your left hand, that you pull half way put to cut on running./parking lights, all the way out to cut on the head lights. You'd turn the knob to the right to cut on inside lights. There would be a knob on the dash you reached with your right hand. You turn it to the right to cut on the wipers. One click for slow and another for fast. That is all the speeds you need. You could push it and hold it down to squirt water on your windshield, It would quit squirting when you quit pushing. The blinker lever would work the blinkers only. And best of all, I would make the driver side and passenger side windows square. In front of them, I would put a little triangle window that would would open out. Handy if you smoke, or if you want a little fresh air without getting rained on or messing your hair up! The radio would have a knob on the left that cut it on and off, and adjusted the volume. And one on the right to change channels. Oh. And the glove box! It would be big enough to hold your gloves, a 30' tape measure, a 44 mag and a box or two of ammo, a claw hammer, a big flash light that uses the big square battery, a bottle of pennicillin and some syringes, a fence tool, some staples and clips, extra fuses, a few packs of cigs or cans of Skoal, and lunch!!!
You buy the wife one like this.
I hate the unibody vehicles our county roads will have one sounding like marbles in a barrel in short order.
IMG_2748.jpeg

I think I found one! Didn't know how true my earlier statements were when I said classic. I found a 1977 F350 that has 46k original miles. Has a title but has never been registered for street use. No rust under the truck or in the engine compartment, was stored in the barn unless it was being used for pulling the hay trailer. Was a farm truck its whole life, with a headache rack flatbed and a gooseneck hitch. Started the 351ci through the window with the touch of the key on a cold engine. I pick it up tomorrow....

WOO HOO!

What's the body/upholstery like? The smart money might be in selling it as a classic.

Pics?

At this time I need a farm truck so its going to stick around for a while. Its primed rt now so a few small fixes, tires and paint. The interior is the original bench seat with a cover on it. He had replaced the carpet but the head liner is 1977. Dash is cracked in multiple places. All dash and cab lights inside and out work. Was sitting for a few years since he passed, so his son replaced the battery, carb, alternator, plugs and wires , belts and hoses and all the fluids.

We have a 1999 Ford diesel 350 crew cab dually 4WD long bed with the big engine - that was the first new body style. Love it. DH has kept it nice with all repair work being done at dealer. He had the leather front seats replaced several years ago. Last year the plastic container that holds the coolant cracked on the way back from a long trip. Didn't realize it until the engine stopped within 15 miles of home. We were towing a trailer at the time. Got the truck towed to the shop and they said it was "aqualogged". We had 300,000 miles on the original engine. Ended up putting a new engine in it for $12,000. Figure it will go another 300,000 miles. We would like a second farm truck, but prices are out of reach. Since the kids are grown up we could go with a single cab smaller truck. New is not an option since DH doesn't like putting the blue def additive in the tank and all those fancy electronics are just problems waiting to happen.

We've had quite a few diesel GMC 2500 trucks I started buying them in 07 and they were pretty good for a few years then starting in 2015 they had a problem with the cp4 Bosch fuel pump.
Every truck I've had since 2015 has had issues because of the fuel differences between United States and Europe. The fuel pump eats itself and then contaminates the entire fuel system it's about $18,000 to fix I've done it to three trucks now.
I won't buy any more GMCs this is our last year.

This photo was taken from the inside of a 2500HD Duramax 4wd with Allison transmission, from the paved highway above the dirt road that runs parallel to it. Because everyone knows better than to get -off road in a Chevy/GMC!! 1695916722318.png

Last edited:
Since 90 I've had a 4WD and 2 reg 2WD pickup's. The 2WD last me twice as long as the 4WD's did, because I don't go bouncing across the field's, cow poop rusts them out fast, Keep the truck on the road, RTV is for running around in the field's.

They need a few dents and rub off the front spoiler before going off road.

If I had $1 for everyone of those things I saw ripped off or barely hangin from one side I could maybe buy a new truck. Those things (lips, air dams, spoilers, air splitters) on most vehicles, they are un needed, especially on a truck. In theory, they reduce underbody drag and increase downforce for better front wheel drive traction at higher speeds. I practice, they're great for collecting millions of love bugs hovering just above the hot asphalt and moving dead animals you otherwise would pass cleanly over.

For lots of vehicles, they're just for appearance sake and have no real purpose at all.

WOO HOO!

good old truck..but you'll spend all the money you wanted to save in gas in that 351 Carbureted engine takes a gallon of gas just to prime them..

Bought it to pull a trailer and deliver cows. It is a true farm truck.
May cruise to the car show or drive in we have in town.... Just for fun.
We have a travel and grocery getter already.
May save a bunch not replacing electronics..... depends how you look at it.
This is a truck that can be fixed in the barn.

Latest posts