My favorite color is...black.

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks. Husband and I checked them yesterday evening and I just knew 18, 51, and 89 would calve soon. They are huge. Went out to check this morning and saw this. Did not even know this one was pregnant. Maybe the others are obese..got to get better at noticing the signs.
I have learned a ton on this board but have a ways to go.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":33gkmf7g said:
Being "big" does not indicate they are ready. Some things to watch is the udder, the teats, the pelvic ligaments, and the vulva.
Edited: Congratulations!!

I understand all those except pelvic ligaments. Can you explain?

I don't know proper "terminology", but when a cow is close, her body produces hormones which is what makes all the changes preparing her body for parturition. The ligaments loosen, allowing her pelvic area to widen. When this happens, the tail head usually appears higher, the area on each side of the tail head gets much looser to the touch (ligament). Because of this loosening, most of my cows will walk a little "sickle hocked" the last few hours.

:clap: Thank you Jeanne!
You and a few others are always willing to share your wealth of knowledge. That is why I keep coming back to this forum despite the drama.

THANKS!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1rmih9vz said:
I don't know proper "terminology", but when a cow is close, her body produces hormones which is what makes all the changes preparing her body for parturition. The ligaments loosen, allowing her pelvic area to widen. When this happens, the tail head usually appears higher, the area on each side of the tail head gets much looser to the touch (ligament). Because of this loosening, most of my cows will walk a little "sickle hocked" the last few hours.

I'll be watching for that. Very informative.