Rank coat color (sales)

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonm_13

Reaction score
So I'm wanting to get some updated information for my large animal science class. I used to have a report that showed how much discount each coat color received vs black (if someone has that, I would appreciate a link). But that report was several years back and was not regional. So if you could, rank the following coat colors based on what you have seen in your weekly sales (not just what you have heard). If you see two or more coat colors as roughly "tied" feel free to show that. If you see anything that brings good money, or is discounted heavily in your area, feel free to add comments. If there are specific breeds that do well in your area (like Limousin, Simmental, Galloway, etc.), add those as well. BTW, I'm assuming appropriate amount of ear for the area (no full blown Brahmans in Minnesota or anything). Thanks guys (and gals).

Red (solid)
Red (baldy)
Hereford pattern
Black (solid)
Black (baldy)
Charolais (white)
Charolais cross (Smoke or smoke baldy)
Charolais cross (yellow or yellow baldy)
Spotted (beef type)
Spotted (dairy or longhorn cross)

Here in Idaho it goes like this (from what I've seen)
Black
BWF/RWF
Red
Hereford
Solid Whites

Big Drop:
Everything else
Dairy
Rodeo/Longhorn

Cab is strangling the life out of the cattle industry. It's an amazing marketing strategy to sell black bulls... and cows... but the color issue is a crock to anyone that knows cattle and has spent any time at all inside a slaughterhouse and looking at animals, live to hanging carcasses.

So yeah, sadly black animals that will grade Prime will sell for more than other colors that will also grade Prime. And the same thing holds true for every grade right down to cutters... which makes no sense at all.

Black
Black baldy
Red, red baldy cross
Char cross, straight char, Hereford
Spotted beef
Dairy type

No feel at all for quality between the colors, but they do bid depending on quality within the colors. The worst black might possibly go for less than better spotted beef type, but they will still demand a premium (or the others will be discounted depending on how you look at it) within the color ranges.

So I'm wanting to get some updated information for my large animal science class. I used to have a report that showed how much discount each coat color received vs black (if someone has that, I would appreciate a link). But that report was several years back and was not regional. So if you could, rank the following coat colors based on what you have seen in your weekly sales (not just what you have heard). If you see two or more coat colors as roughly "tied" feel free to show that. If you see anything that brings good money, or is discounted heavily in your area, feel free to add comments. If there are specific breeds that do well in your area (like Limousin, Simmental, Galloway, etc.), add those as well. BTW, I'm assuming appropriate amount of ear for the area (no full blown Brahmans in Minnesota or anything). Thanks guys (and gals).

Red (solid)
Red (baldy)
Hereford pattern
Black (solid)
Black (baldy)
Charolais (white)
Charolais cross (Smoke or smoke baldy)
Charolais cross (yellow or yellow baldy)
Spotted (beef type)
Spotted (dairy or longhorn cross)
No good all-beef cattle are "discounted" Those that will grade prime or choice, all else being equal, red or white or whatever beef cattle bring the same, Cattle that are good beef cattle that will grade prime or choice, and appear to be able to gain the CAB label at processing will bring a few cents premium. Dairy and Criollo breeds, regardless of color, will bring the least because pf feedlot performance and carcass grade and yield.

My list is exactly like ky hills . Sold 22 calves last week. 2 of my best calves brought the least per lb . A Brahma angus cross calf , looking more Brahma than angus and a moose of a calf that was a black frosty with some white spots on his back legs like a longhorn cross. His momma my son calls salt and pepper. Think she is part shorthorn. The rest were solid black and black baldies.