My Black Beefmaster Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

You said he looks like a beefmaster or is a beefmaster? I guess it also depends on how much you had to give for him, I've seen alot better bulls for 1300 and up.

The "Operative" phrase here is the title of this thread, "My Black Beefmaster Bull."

In the selection of seedstock - whether it be bulls or females - there are many critical factors to be taken into consideration, among them being the type and quality of your current cow herd, and the ultimate purpose of your Beef Bu$ine$$ - that is whether it is primarily a cow-calf operation or a Terminal (feedlot) goal for which you are striving. In either case, there are three traits of prime importance on which to focus at this time - those being "Functional traits, Genotypic traits and Phenotypic traits".

Functional traits: Feet, Legs, Skeletal, Mammary, Disposition, Masculinity, Body Capacity, Fleshing ability. In my opinion - FROM THESE PICTURES - (which is NEVER acceptable in making final decisions for seedstock selection!) this bull, for being 2 1/2 years old!, is not an acceptable example of a Profit-Building Herd Bull. He lacks bone structure, Masculinity, is extremely pinched in the Heart Girth which limits his ability to produce replacement heifers with optimal capacity, If he had his head up he would show his weak topline. I will concede that he has a better hindquarter potential than some of the bulls which have been pictured on these posts, but it certainly is not desirable for improving a genetic trait. The pinched heart girth is a major problem, and this bull manifests that problem in spades! We don't know what his EPD's are, but his phenotype and lack of optimal functional traits are enough to disuade me from using him in a herd building program.

We must understand that this bull is a Beefmaster, which means that he has the characteristics of bos indicus and bos taurus, those being sloping hindquarters, open shoulders, loose hide, and pendulous sheath. Assuming everything else being equal, the low sheath presents a problem which should not be incorporated into a breeding herd.

It seems to me that he is a result of "Single Trait Selection" - that trait being - - BLACK - - to the secondary consideration of almost every other desirable characteristic. I am not criticizing BLACK, but I am condemning 'BLACK only for the sake of BLACK'!

You can do better.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":7izmeukx said:
The "Operative" phrase here is the title of this thread, "My Black Beefmaster Bull."

In the selection of seedstock - whether it be bulls or females - there are many critical factors to be taken into consideration, among them being the type and quality of your current cow herd, and the ultimate purpose of your Beef Bu$ine$$ - that is whether it is primarily a cow-calf operation or a Terminal (feedlot) goal for which you are striving. In either case, there are three traits of prime importance on which to focus at this time - those being "Functional traits, Genotypic traits and Phenotypic traits".

Functional traits: Feet, Legs, Skeletal, Mammary, Disposition, Masculinity, Body Capacity, Fleshing ability. In my opinion - FROM THESE PICTURES - (which is NEVER acceptable in making final decisions for seedstock selection!) this bull, for being 2 1/2 years old!, is not an acceptable example of a Profit-Building Herd Bull. He lacks bone structure, Masculinity, is extremely pinched in the Heart Girth which limits his ability to produce replacement heifers with optimal capacity, If he had his head up he would show his weak topline. I will concede that he has a better hindquarter potential than some of the bulls which have been pictured on these posts, but it certainly is not desirable for improving a genetic trait. The pinched heart girth is a major problem, and this bull manifests that problem in spades! We don't know what his EPD's are, but his phenotype and lack of optimal functional traits are enough to disuade me from using him in a herd building program.

We must understand that this bull is a Beefmaster, which means that he has the characteristics of bos indicus and bos taurus, those being sloping hindquarters, open shoulders, loose hide, and pendulous sheath. Assuming everything else being equal, the low sheath presents a problem which should not be incorporated into a breeding herd.

It seems to me that he is a result of "Single Trait Selection" - that trait being - - BLACK - - to the secondary consideration of almost every other desirable characteristic. I am not criticizing BLACK, but I am condemning 'BLACK only for the sake of BLACK'!

You can do better.

DOC HARRIS
Well, if the guy who owns him says "my black beefmaster bull" then at the bottom of the post says looks like a beefmaster?! I should hope that a black beefmaster that he bought doesn't look like a charolais. Btw, I'm glad they educated you, Doc, as to beefmaster being one he$$ of a momma cow. "Tom Lasiter told me personally on his Ranch in Colorado in 1952 that HIS Beefmaster Cattle were developed as a breed comprised of 1/3 Hereford, 1/3 Shorthorn and 1/3 Brahman for the purpose of helping Breeders in the hot, humid and "INSECT RIDDEN" states of the southern US to raise "meat-producing Beef Cattle." How do Texan's interpret those words??" Did he also tell you the first two of the six essentials? Fertility... Milking Ability?

CowpokeJ":3a6u9wgb said:
DOC HARRIS":3a6u9wgb said:

You can do better.

DOC HARRIS
Well, if the guy who owns him says "my black beefmaster bull" then at the bottom of the post says looks like a beefmaster?! I should hope that a black beefmaster that he bought doesn't look like a charolais. Btw, I'm glad they educated you, Doc, as to beefmaster being one he$$ of a momma cow. "Tom Lasiter told me personally on his Ranch in Colorado in 1952 that HIS Beefmaster Cattle were developed as a breed comprised of 1/3 Hereford, 1/3 Shorthorn and 1/3 Brahman for the purpose of helping Breeders in the hot, humid and "INSECT RIDDEN" states of the southern US to raise "meat-producing Beef Cattle." How do Texan's interpret those words??" Did he also tell you the first two of the six essentials? Fertility... Milking Ability?
Cowpoke-

You can just BET your horns he DID! . . .Vigorously and Positively, as only Tom Lasiter could do! In those days, his cattle were a hodge-podge of colors, EXCEPT BLACK, not like the Red Beefmasters that we can see today. But "Fertility and Milking Ability" were PRIME on his list of "MUST HAVES!" If they missed a calf - ONCE - they were gone! Made no difference WHY, - they were gone. TOUGH LOVE!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts