Molasses protein tubs.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco

Reaction score
As just before pasture season starts I'm looking to fatten up the cattle before they get turned out to pasture. I'm pushing a 13% protein grain at about 8 pounds a head a day and free choice hay obviously. Am curious if anyone has experience with the molasses protein tubs they sell at the local feed stores? Would eventually like switch to bulk molasses in those lick tanks but for time being considered just those tubs. Any input would be great.

I read that discussion 3 times and my answer wasn't in there just seemed like a bunch of bickering

if you did a cost analysis, I think you'd find the tubs are much more costly than the 13% protein grain you're feeding. You should stick with that. Cows love the tubs but all the ones I've seen are way overpriced comparative to buying liquid feed in bulk and loading it in lick tanks or feeding range cubes as a protein supplement.

You don't push protein to make cattle fat, push energy. Throw the corn to them and watch them flourish *cough* I mean founder.

Only people who use protein tubs are people like me that feed garbage hay with 6% protein and have skinny cows with poor calves.

ga.prime said:
if you did a cost analysis, I think you'd find the tubs are much more costly than the 13% protein grain you're feeding. You should stick with that. Cows love the tubs but all the ones I've seen are way overpriced comparative to buying liquid feed in bulk and loading it in lick tanks or feeding range cubes as a protein supplement.
So you think pushing the grain is my ticket vs buying the tubs? I know there pricy have bought them before didn't use long enough to see a gain. Also am feeding flaked corn to just to gain something. Cheap alternative to silage since that's not really a option for my operation

Hardnosecattleco said:
ga.prime said:
So you think pushing the grain is my ticket vs buying the tubs? I know there pricy have bought them before didn't use long enough to see a gain. Also am feeding flaked corn to just to gain something. Cheap alternative to silage since that's not really a option for my operation
As a protein supplement, yes I think you get a lot more for your money with grain rather than tubs. Only drawback is you have to meter out the grain based supplement every day. Lick tanks are the easiest and best way. Lick tanks last a long time.

ga.prime said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
ga.prime said:
As a protein supplement, yes I think you get a lot more for your money with grain rather than tubs. Only drawback is you have to meter out the grain based supplement every day. Lick tanks are the easiest and best way. Lick tanks last a long time.
It's been years since I've seen them lick tanks so wasn't sure if they were the thing of the past or not

Hardnosecattleco said:
ga.prime said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
It's been years since I've seen them lick tanks so wasn't sure if they were the thing of the past or not

Lick tank sitting in my pasture right now. Liquid feed is 310 a ton for 185 gallons @ 30% protein. You better have forage or hay if you go that route.
Tub is absolutely the worst value on the dollar for buying protein. You got 60 lbs of protein for 3 dollars a pound.
For the same money spent here you could buy 1000 pounds of 2-1 @ 26% protein in a super sack . For the same money you could have fed 260 lbs of protein. You're buying convenience .
Much cheaper to build a bulk feeder to supplement.

Caustic Burno said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
ga.prime said:

Lick tank sitting in my pasture right now. Liquid feed is 310 a ton for 185 gallons @ 30% protein. You better have forage or hay if you go that route.
Tub is absolutely the worst value on the dollar for buying protein. You got 60 lbs of protein for 3 dollars a pound.
For the same money spent here you could buy 1000 pounds of 2-1 @ 26% protein in a super sack . For the same money you could have fed 260 lbs of protein. You're buying convenience .

What percentage of this lick is water?

The Orwig 20% tubs we use are touted to have 98% of water cooked out of them. They cost us $1425 per short ton or 7 cents per lb. A lot of that is freight as the are made in North Dakota.

If one were to calculate liquid feed at 80% water your lick is now at 7.75 cents per lb dry matter. I am guessing the water content is higher than that.
We had 700 females of poor quality grass from weaning until we started feeding in mid December last fall. It cost .75 per head per day to keep them rustling and doing well.

I will agree that once one is feeding daily that a grain supplement goes farther to putting on weight and filling bellies.

gcreekrch said:
Caustic Burno said:
Hardnosecattleco said:

Not very much if any. I know a big operation that uses liquid in open top tubs, and the rain floats on top of the liquid feed.

Here's why the lick tubs can get expensive, only select animals here get it and only for a limited time
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f5xHhRY86RFxzTGP8

gcreekrch said:
Caustic Burno said:
Hardnosecattleco said:

The Orwig 20% tubs we use are touted to have 98% of water cooked out of them. They cost us $1425 per short ton or 7 cents per lb. A lot of that is freight as the are made in North Dakota.

If one were to calculate liquid feed at 80% water your lick is now at 7.75 cents per lb dry matter. I am guessing the water content is higher than that.
We had 700 females of poor quality grass from weaning until we started feeding in mid December last fall. It cost .75 per head per day to keep them rustling and doing well.

I will agree that once one is feeding daily that a grain supplement goes farther to putting on weight and filling bellies.

Depends on brand but most liquid feed is 50-65% DM as is. Depends on what steep water: molasses/oil ratio they use. The one's that use more urea have a higher DM.

It's Westway liquid feed 32% protein 4% fat and a host of other minerals I can't remember percentages. Their website is down right now.
It's got my cows looking poorly.
I use it in the spring my grass is almost pure water and again in October to clean up stockpiled pasture.
It's a grass management tool.

Why fatten before putting on grass? They should fatten on the grass when you turn them out.

Allenw said:
Why fatten before putting on grass? They should fatten on the grass when you turn them out.

Cows will loose BCS big time on my spring grass, it's virtually water.
Not all grass is created equal.
You bring a cow from central Texas here they will nearly starve to death before they get acclimated.
You can move cows west in Texas with no concern East is a different story.
I had so much trouble with bulls purchased west part of the state, I went to going east.

Allenw said:

Winter was hard on my cattle. They lost more than I've ever lost far as condition goes so just wanna get back to square one. Green grass is growing. Not fast enough but it's growing at least

Caustic Burno said:
It's Westway liquid feed 32% protein 4% fat and a host of other minerals I can't remember percentages. Their website is down right now.
It's got my cows looking poorly.
I use it in the spring my grass is almost pure water and again in October to clean up stockpiled pasture.
It's a grass management tool.

Same idea here with tubs.

Caustic Burno said:
Allenw said:

Cows will loose BCS big time on my spring grass, it's virtually water.
Not all grass is created equal.
You bring a cow from central Texas here they will nearly starve to death before they get acclimated.
You can move cows west in Texas with no concern East is a different story.
I had so much trouble with bulls purchased west part of the state, I went to going east.

Do the cattle adjust to the spring grass with some time and what kind of grass is it? Just curious.

Latest posts