Molasses protein tubs.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco said:
Allenw said:
Why fatten before putting on grass? They should fatten on the grass when you turn them out.

Winter was hard on my cattle. They lost more than I've ever lost far as condition goes so just wanna get back to square one. Green grass is growing. Not fast enough but it's growing at least

I've made that mistake before, counting on spring grass that didn't come.

Allenw said:
Caustic Burno said:
Allenw said:
Why fatten before putting on grass? They should fatten on the grass when you turn them out.

Cows will loose BCS big time on my spring grass, it's virtually water.
Not all grass is created equal.
You bring a cow from central Texas here they will nearly starve to death before they get acclimated.
You can move cows west in Texas with no concern East is a different story.
I had so much trouble with bulls purchased west part of the state, I went to going east.

Do the cattle adjust to the spring grass with some time and what kind of grass is it? Just curious.

It's Bahia and the normal residents perform on grass only after the spring flush. Usually last only about a month then I cut them off liquid until October or November when grass goes dormant.
Then use about another month until the stockpile grass is cleaned up.

I bought a Hereford bull at a sale once from West Texas, I actually thought I was going to loose him before he got acclamated to my grass.

I've always heard you can't move cattle east, cows here see more dry grass then they ever see wet, lush grass.

Latest posts