Mineral question...

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl said:
How are ya'll applying Martin's synergized? As a pour-on or spray?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I spray it on with a regular garden sprayer

Those of you using Martins. It is killing horseflies? I really do not think the UltraBoss will. At least in my pasture. Good discussion.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but what is the benefit of Martin's Synergized 1% over say Martin's 10% (or any other generic permethrin) cut with mineral oil or diesel fuel when it is being used as a spray?

sstterry said:
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but what is the benefit of Martin's Synergized 1% over say Martin's 10% (or any other generic permethrin) cut with mineral oil or diesel fuel when it is being used as a spray?

It is only a matter of preference for me. I use the 1 % mixture as it comes out of the container. The 10 % solution would be more applicable as a pour on.

Pointer1160 said:
Those of you using Martins. It is killing horseflies? I really do not think the UltraBoss will. At least in my pasture. Good discussion.

No. Martin's does not kill them. Unless you spray the horsefly. Nor does UltraBoss. It only controls them. Btw. They are both permethrin based products but UltraBoss is enhanced. Made by Merck, Boss is only 5 % permethrin but UltraBoss is enhanced and contains Piperonyl Butoxide.

sstterry said:

I don't cut it with anything. The 1% is thick enough that it puts kind of a "sheen" on the cows when I spray them. It coats them really well. As I stated before, it works extremely well for me, but I am not battling "neighbor flies" because there are no cattle that border mine...that could attribute to its success some.

TNRiver said:
sstterry said:

I don't cut it with anything. The 1% is thick enough that it puts kind of a "sheen" on the cows when I spray them. It coats them really well. As I stated before, it works extremely well for me, but I am not battling "neighbor flies" because there are no cattle that border mine...that could attribute to its success some.

I do battle "neighbor flies". My neighbor (bless his heart, he is salt of the earth kind of people but he - hush my mouth - is not progressive in animal husbandry) does zero fly control. That is why IGR did not work for me. In my experiences in this environment, topical application of permethrin is the only thing that has worked.

Latest posts