Mineral question...

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms said:
I guess because that's the way grandpa did it, it must be right. For all I know salt might be like coke or sweet tea to a cow.

You and me both. But I am fairly certain that the cows need the copper and selenium, as well as magnesium. So I guess the others probably help them. Oh, just for shyts and giggles, my grandpa would come back from the grave if he knew I was wasting that money and feeding minerals :lol2:

JMJ Farms said:
True Grit Farms said:
I guess because that's the way grandpa did it, it must be right. For all I know salt might be like coke or sweet tea to a cow.

You and me both. But I am fairly certain that the cows need the copper and selenium, as well as magnesium. So I guess the others probably help them. Oh, just for shyts and giggles, my grandpa would come back from the grave if he knew I was wasting that money and feeding minerals :lol2:

When I put cattle on my farm, the cattle provided something in common for dad and I to enjoy together. He was in his late 80s and I started bringing him over and I would ride him around the farm in the utility vehicle. It was something that he enjoyed until a week before he died at 92. The first time I brought him over, he saw my mineral feeder. He looks at that and tells me, "Ronnie, you are wasting your money, all cattle need is salt".

I'm a believer in feeding free choice mineral and using MultiMin. Salt is different it's used as a feed limiter in some cases, and as an attractant in other cases. I've also been told by different biologists - nutritionist to add salt to minerals to encourage mineral consumption.

True Grit Farms said:
I'm a believer in feeding free choice mineral and using MultiMin. Salt is different it's used as a feed limiter in some cases, and as an attractant in other cases. I've also been told by different biologists - nutritionist to add salt to minerals to encourage mineral consumption.

I agree.
The mineral that you never hear is phosphorus.

"Phosphorus deficiency has tremendous implications for beef cattle performance. Not meeting animal phosphorus requirements reduces growth and feed efficiency, decreases dry matter intake, lowers reproductive performance, depresses milk production, and causes weak and fragile bones. Mature cattle can draw on phosphorus reserves in bones when needed, but skeletal phosphorus supplies must be replenished to avoid a phosphorus deficiency situation. "

Well..yesterday I implemented the new mineral program. I am now feeding a "somewhat" high end balanced mineral (loose) free choice rather than Hi-Mag and I put out regular white salt blocks with the loose mineral. I am interested to see what the consumption of both will be because all I had out before was loose Hi-Mag and no salt blocks... we shall see.

Caustic Burno said:
Right Now minerals have worked well for me.

I use the TN Co-op Minerals because that is really the only option within a 45 minute drive of my house.. I could get other options, like VitaFerm or other Custom blends made, but the time/hassle to get them to me is not worth the difference....

True Grit Farms said:
Caustic Burno said:
Right Now minerals have worked well for me.

If it ain't broke why try and fix it? I'm sure glad we're not one of the one's that are changing things up.

I wouldn't say my old system was "broken", but conception time frame and overall health can always be improved upon and I believe the mineral program is something that may have warranted a change in an attempt to improve these things. Things may not be "broken", that doesn't mean they can't be better.

My vets have advised me to keep out loose salt along with my loose mineral. It has worked well for me. I keep out loose salt with Eddi.

Caustic Burno said:
TNRiver said:
Caustic Burno said:
Fly control is a multiple management approach. Altosid is good as an IGR for the flies that use the cow for life cycle.
Products like Ultra Sabre or Cylence are good for long term control along with
ear tags. Permethrin is virtually worthless here with our rainfall as it is gone first rain.
You can't control your neighbors management only yours. I even put up electric fence flies pay it no attention.
Along with if your in an area your can run Brahman genetics as they are more insect resistant it is a heiritable trait in all breeds.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/health/can-we-select-cattle-fly-resistance-research-says-yes

I have used quite an array of different insecticides, and some of the Permethrin's work and some don't. But, the Martin's 1% Synergized has worked better than anything I have used, including any other type of Permethrin. If you ever get a hankering to try to spray your cows again, give it a try.. and no I'm not a rep or anything like that, just sharing my experience.

I ordered a jug to try.

CB...What do you think about the Martin's Synergized??

I have had tremendous success with Ultra Boss. Spray just a little bit on the cows back and no horn flies. Lasts about a week and a half. You don't even have to treat every cow. Since this is a mineral discussion what does everyone think of Purina Wind and Rain?

I use UltraBoss as a pour on. But when houseflies are bad, you about have to spray a mist over the entire animal, head and all. That is when I use the Martin's Synergized 1% in a hand sprayer.

Yes, I have had no luck at all with Ultra Boss and Horse Flys. Will kill a horn fly dead. Ok with biting flys on legs.

Pointer,

Just started using Purina Wind and Rain. I really like it. The cows eat it good. It doesn't get hard if it gets a bit wet. Not using the fly control mixture. Mixing Justifly with plain Wind and Rain. Seems to be helping with flies.

MY :2cents:
Farmgirl

Pointer1160 said:
Yes, I have had no luck at all with Ultra Boss and Horse Flys. Will kill a horn fly dead. Ok with biting flys on legs.
I meant horseflies. Autocorrect changes it to houseflies.

Horseflies are the most difficult fly to control and they are savages. If you spray one directly with permethrin, it kills them. Otherwise the only deterrent is a fine coat all over the cow's back.

Caustic Burno said:
True Grit Farms said:

I agree.
The mineral that you never hear is phosphorus.

"Phosphorus deficiency has tremendous implications for beef cattle performance. Not meeting animal phosphorus requirements reduces growth and feed efficiency, decreases dry matter intake, lowers reproductive performance, depresses milk production, and causes weak and fragile bones. Mature cattle can draw on phosphorus reserves in bones when needed, but skeletal phosphorus supplies must be replenished to avoid a phosphorus deficiency situation. "
And it's the first thing feed companies cut back on to reduce cost. Cheap mineral is usually cheap on phosphorus, high on lime.