Mineral question...

Help Support CattleToday:

TNRiver

Reaction score
I have a question and looking for some insight... I live in TN and use the Supreme Hi-Mag loose mineral from the TN Farmers CO-OP year around. Lately I have been considering switching to VitaFerm to possibly help with conception rates. I have compared the labels and although there is a difference, it does not seem to be a majorly significant difference. I am just wondering if anyone has used both and has an opinion or anyone that is familiar with both, please share your thoughts! Thanks!

I don't know anything about your co-op mineral. But I have used the Vita Ferm for quite a while and think it does what it is supposed to do.

fwiw, I use co op Ultimate year round never Hi mag, some places in TN may need the extra mag, Clarksville area or area with alot of clay dirt. I have no issues with conception.

TNRiver said:
I have a question and looking for some insight... I live in TN and use the Supreme Hi-Mag loose mineral from the TN Farmers CO-OP year around. Lately I have been considering switching to VitaFerm to possibly help with conception rates. I have compared the labels and although there is a difference, it does not seem to be a majorly significant difference. I am just wondering if anyone has used both and has an opinion or anyone that is familiar with both, please share your thoughts! Thanks!

I have used VitaFerm for several years. What is more important than mineral content is BIOAVAILABILITY. Analysis is very important but if the chemical compound the mineral comes in is not BIOAVAILABILE, the mineral will be excreted from the cow.

I spent a good portion of my professional career on the Butte, Montana lead smelter cleanup conducting bioavailability studies on lead in soil to support enforcement actions against Atlantic Richfield, Now British Petroleum. BIOAVAILABILITY was the essential factor in determining the extent of that cleanup. The concept is identical. You can put a truck load of mineral through a cow but if it is in a form that cannot be metabolized, all you have is a malnourished cow and high mineral content feces.

VitaFerm is BIOAVAILABILE.

TNRiver said:
Anybody see a downside to feeding HiMag year round?

My cattle don't seem to use HI-Mag well I've been told it's bitter, I feel it's better for them to have a good mineral they will eat keep in to them all the time and you have no worries. The Vita-Firm is good stuff, I believe if you use it you won't be sorry.

I have used VitaFerm for several years. What is more important than mineral content is BIOAVAILABILITY. Analysis is very important but if the chemical compound the mineral comes in is not BIOAVAILABILE, the mineral will be excreted from the cow.

This is the way I understand it and agree 100%

How do you determine the Bioavailability of a certain mineral?

TNRiver said:
How do you determine the Bioavailability of a certain mineral?

I go to the manufacturer's brochure or website. Check the form the minerals come in on the list of ingredients. Minerals come in different compounds mostly a group of salts- sulfates, phosphates, carbonates, etc. These are easily bioabsorbed.

Another example is proteinates. Copper, manganese and zinc come in proteinates. Proteinates are minerals that have been combined with amino acids. They are said to be chelated. Here is a description:

Animals absorb, digest and use mineral chelates better than inorganic minerals. This means that lower concentrations can be used in animal feeds. In addition, animals fed chelated sources of essential trace minerals excrete lower amounts in their faeces, and so there is less environmental contamination. Mineral chelates also offers health and welfare benefits in animal nutrition.

I have always used the Hi-Mag from March-mid May because we have had issues with grass tetany in the past. I then switch them to foundation with IGR. I looked at the tags, the ultimate has a higher vitamin E content. I may switch to that this time. I am using concept aid on a group of cows this spring to compare conception rates with the ones on the co-op mineral and the same cows preg rate last year. The vitaferm is about double the price, Will let you know how it turns out. If it increases the preg rate by 5-6% like everyone in their testimonials is claiming, it will pay for itself. My local co-op odered the vitaferm mineral for me, I'm sure they can do the same for you.

TNRiver said:

co op guru told me I dont need hi mag if I stay on a good mineral, If you look at the tag, consumption is twice as much on hi mag, even though a few dollars cheaper per bag, alot higher in the long run. at least the way I think

bse said:
TNRiver said:

co op guru told me I dont need hi mag if I stay on a good mineral, If you look at the tag, consumption is twice as much on hi mag, even though a few dollars cheaper per bag, alot higher in the long run. at least the way I think

I agree. If you have a good mineral out on a year-around basis, I highly doubt that a period of higher magnesium levels is required.

midTN_Brangusman said:
I have always used the Hi-Mag from March-mid May because we have had issues with grass tetany in the past. I then switch them to foundation with IGR. I looked at the tags, the ultimate has a higher vitamin E content. I may switch to that this time. I am using concept aid on a group of cows this spring to compare conception rates with the ones on the co-op mineral and the same cows preg rate last year. The vitaferm is about double the price, Will let you know how it turns out. If it increases the preg rate by 5-6% like everyone in their testimonials is claiming, it will pay for itself. My local co-op odered the vitaferm mineral for me, I'm sure they can do the same for you.

Yes please keep me updated. Sounds like you're in the situation I was looking for.

I used to get Kandy Mag. my cows would eat it. Local connection shut down, and I haven't fed it since. My cows won't eat the Hi nag choices that are available locally, so rather than get them off mineral, I just don't feed the Hi Mag in the spring. Probably a recipe for disaster, but I'd rather have on a steady intake all year, rather than have them off mineral at calving and rebreeding time.

Has anyone noticed if consumption rates go down when using Vita Ferm Concept Aid mineral?

At $40/50lb bag It would get pretty expensive at the rate my cows go through mineral.

kentuckyguy said:
Has anyone noticed if consumption rates go down when using Vita Ferm Concept Aid mineral?

At $40/50lb bag It would get pretty expensive at the rate my cows go through mineral.

I believe it does go up. VitaFerm comes in the bioavailable compounds which also means those compounds make it more palatable. Thus, they do consume more.

rollinhills said:
Vita-Firm 5S is what you need for higher conception, they have several different kinds, Heat
Heat/IGR, 5S with IGR, Plain vita-firm, They also have 5S with IGR.

I thought it was 8S. But I know what you mean. I would have to look it up.

It is 5S, you are correct. There is also a VitaFerm Concept-Aid 8/S. The difference is that 5/S contains 5% Phosphorus and the 8/S contains 8% Phosphorus. I use the 8/S.

I can use any mineral I want to and have used Vitaferm extensively, but I think this mineral is superior to Vitaferm and that is why I switched out everything in all of my mineral feeders. I've been using this for almost a year now. It's not cheap, but really good things rarely are. Compare labels.

Not knocking Vitaferm's game but they have excellent marketing campaigns, and people tend to go for what looks good. In this month's Angus Journal, they have Charlie Boyd pitching Vitaferm, and most people think "if it's good enough for Boyd's it's good enough for me".

I don't think Vitaferm is smoke and mirrors, but I do think this mineral is better overall

[image]276[/image]

especially if you want to control flies, which can have a highly detrimental effect on your herd.

You will have to have the product above special ordered if you want the Rabon for fly control.