Market drop

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
My friend who hauls my cattle to market told me this week that there is a correction underway in the Kentucky cattle markets. Anyone hearing the same news where they are and what is it about? I am not a market watcher.

Futures are predicting a more even out approach and so the drop is inevitable. They already dropped here quite drastically for 300 wgts.

I bought in Kentucky on Tuesday and didn't see a big drop. But here at Ava yesterday it crashed, partly because of the futures but the heat here this week had alot to do with it. It varied in sizes but here everything was atleast 15$ cheaper some weights as much as 30$ off.

I watched Superior some this week. The market sure hasn't dropped on the video. I just watched some 550 pound steers bring $2.90. The bred heifers were stronger there on Wednesday than they were a couple weeks ago at their last sale.

inyati13":1yj70c3b said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1yj70c3b said:
skyhightree1":1yj70c3b said:
Here we go hang on for the ride If I have one drastic drop I will offload darn near everything.

Very shrewd of you to wait until prices drop to sell out.

Clever guys, both of you.
:nod:
Utterback says it's a good time to be a bear.

inyati13":1g1pod74 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1g1pod74 said:
skyhightree1":1g1pod74 said:
Here we go hang on for the ride If I have one drastic drop I will offload darn near everything.

Very shrewd of you to wait until prices drop to sell out.

Clever guys, both of you.
When the drop enough ol' Sky is gonna kill one for the freezer. Too expensive to kill right now. :hide:

:D Funny guys you all are :) I meant like if they drop about 20-30 cents a lb in 2 weeks I will sell before they drop any lower by that 3rd week hopefully. TB :) You are right ammo is too expensive I can't spare one bullet.

I'm with Dave, I don't see much drop on Superior. Isn't it typical for a little seasonal weakness in the fall? I think producers are their own worst enemies talking down prices! Mel

No reaction here.
I was watching close hoping for one-- timing is perfect for me to jump in and buy hard on a drop.

denvermartinfarms":3d91xkc3 said:
I bought in Kentucky on Tuesday and didn't see a big drop. But here at Ava yesterday it crashed, partly because of the futures but the heat here this week had alot to do with it. It varied in sizes but here everything was atleast 15$ cheaper some weights as much as 30$ off.
You must have went to Ledbetter.

Guthrie was reported being down as much as $10.00 cwt., the 5 wright prices were about the same as Ledbetter on the report. 3 weights were down more at Guthrie.

skyhightree1":2phv82bh said:
:D Funny guys you all are :) I meant like if they drop about 20-30 cents a lb in 2 weeks I will sell before they drop any lower by that 3rd week hopefully. TB :) You are right ammo is too expensive I can't spare one bullet.
You ever heard the wall street expression;
"Never try to catch a falling knife"?

It applies here. Some correction maybe, but I don't see much huge upside over the next couple of months, and the only big downside would be the usual seasonal drop associated with a little decrease in demand due to the end of good weather (bbq season). Ground beef prices on the consumer end are at another all time high: The Bureau of Labor Statistics shows the average price of ground beef at $4.23 per pound.
beefalltimehighjuly.jpg

skyhightree1":3kathqp7 said:
No offense, but after carefully inspecting that post, I sincerely reccomend you get with a experienced cattle man and do some learning about this business and the markets.

denvermartinfarms":sotxnbdt said:
skyhightree1":sotxnbdt said:
No offense, but after carefully inspecting that post, I sincerely reccomend you get with a experienced cattle man and do some learning about this business and the markets.

Please share your vast wisdom and many years of experience with us Denver.

TennesseeTuxedo":27svnabf said:
denvermartinfarms":27svnabf said:
skyhightree1":27svnabf said:

Please share your vast wisdom and many years of experience with us Denver.
I will. But first let me ask you, if cattle drop 30 cents in 2 weeks do you personally think that's the time to sell them?

Since my post seemed to have bothered you I will say once again I was being 100% sincere that anyone who would make that statement should try to learn some more about this business. There was nothing hidden and no sarcasm in my post, just trying to make a helpful reply to an alarming statement.

Latest posts