Market drop

Help Support CattleToday:

Backgrounding is a bigger part of my operation than cows and calves. I'm sick I didn't do more this year. This little drop is "probably" just a hiccup. Futures are pretty strong, and corn is cheap, and getting cheaper. Be no reason to for see a drastic drop. Terrorist attack/bse scare that might cause a big move. Nothing in the writing on the wall for me to think prices won't be strong for a while.

kenny thomas":qmq1n384 said:
skyhightree1":qmq1n384 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":qmq1n384 said:
KT, you are a cattleman to whom I would listen. Good luck with the calves.

I agree with that and that's not to take away from a lot of others on here as well that I respect and would listen too.

Guys, dont read too much into what I do. I have some of my calves to wean and I will buy some to match them. I usually buy 300-400 lb calves that need some care. I need them to weigh 550-600 to match mine. May buy some of both and feed them seperate. Oh, and also I need a few Jersey steers to feed and sell for beef.

Sounds like a plan Kenny.. Jersey and Holstein here are typically bottle calves.

Sky, if I can find a jersey steer weighing 700-800 I can buy them pretty cheap. And then with the high cattle prices people think that 1.50 a lb is cheap for a beef and Jersey makes a pretty good beef if fed for a while. I have plenty of grass and they will grow a lot by November.

denvermartinfarms":28fmg9lg said:
skyhightree1":28fmg9lg said:
:D Funny guys you all are :) I meant like if they drop about 20-30 cents a lb in 2 weeks I will sell before they drop any lower by that 3rd week hopefully. TB :) You are right ammo is too expensive I can't spare one bullet.
No offense, but after carefully inspecting that post, I sincerely reccomend you get with a experienced cattle man and do some learning about this business and the markets.

Sky, you know I am your Brother. I read this entire thread. DM did not mean anything offensive. Trust me, as your Brother. He saw what we all did. You would not want to approach any market be it cattle or other commodities with the philosophy you expressed.

Now carry on, Brother. :D

inyati13":2mktypsq said:
denvermartinfarms":2mktypsq said:
skyhightree1":2mktypsq said:
:D Funny guys you all are :) I meant like if they drop about 20-30 cents a lb in 2 weeks I will sell before they drop any lower by that 3rd week hopefully. TB :) You are right ammo is too expensive I can't spare one bullet.
No offense, but after carefully inspecting that post, I sincerely reccomend you get with a experienced cattle man and do some learning about this business and the markets.

Sky, you know I am your Brother. I read this entire thread. DM did not mean anything offensive. Trust me, as your Brother. He saw what we all did. You would not want to approach any market be it cattle or other commodities with the philosophy you expressed.

I disagree... strongly. He worded it that way but meant it as a way to try to be funny. He knows I do not like him and would be a way to mess with me since for whatever reason he likes my attention. I agree with you on a lot of things but not this one. Hey if I want to loose $ that's OK with me so why does he care so much??? Trust me not cause he's a great and outstanding person. :2cents: but its OK he's where he should be on the foes list.

I disagree... strongly. He worded it that way but meant it as a way to try to be funny. He knows I do not like him and would be a way to mess with me since for whatever reason he likes my attention. I agree with you on a lot of things but not this one. Hey if I want to loose $ that's OK with me so why does he care so much??? Trust me not cause he's a great and outstanding person. but its OK he's where he should be on the foes list.

Brothers can and do disagree. I am sorry Brother. Let's keep the brotherhood together. My sister recently wrote me off, I don't want to lose you too. :lol:

Make sure you read your motto now and then, Brother.

denvermartinfarms":10zlb5g4 said:
skyhightree1":10zlb5g4 said:
most experienced cattle men know the difference between cwt prices and per lb. prices and you boy do not, I would not be a spewin your greatness around in this manner if I was you.

highgrit":2e14l3xk said:
Oh boy you used a bad word now. Yougottobe crazy to talk to him like that.
ya I have been told before that iamflippingcrazy. The next thing ya know he will want to argue that he has never been so uneducated about prices that he didn't know the difference. I suppose then he will want me to wade thru the miles of BS he spews on here looking for the posts where he was clueless.

inyati13":2i5tfjbc said:
denvermartinfarms":2i5tfjbc said:
skyhightree1":2i5tfjbc said:

Thank you! You are 100% correct.

highgrit":2wdnamqw said:
It was the exact response I knew you DM and I were going to receive. Scarred money is a term used by gambler's, same as bluffing. Now is a good time to sell, and you have to be a gambler to buy at these prices. And here's another good tip Sky, Cattle Range is a good place to sell cows.

Do you mean "scared money" as in frightened? I'm not sure I've ever heard of "scarred money" as in somehow damaged or marred. Admittedly I don't gamble so you may have me at a disadvantage here regarding today's terminology.

Cattle Range is a good place to buy cattle as well.

highgrit":1m54a7tc said:
Oh boy you used a bad word now. Yougottobe crazy to talk to him like that.
He's not worth the effort, there was a time when I was typing it wrong, kinda one of them deals where your thinking one thing and saying another.

He has always wanted to believe and tried to make me look like I'm not what I say I am. The problem is I personally know alot of members from here who know exactly what I do and that everything I have ever said here is true. So in the end, the joke is on him.

TennesseeTuxedo":rn0lwiaa said:
highgrit":rn0lwiaa said:
It was the exact response I knew you DM and I were going to receive. Scarred money is a term used by gambler's, same as bluffing. Now is a good time to sell, and you have to be a gambler to buy at these prices. And here's another good tip Sky, Cattle Range is a good place to sell cows.

Do you mean "scared money" as in frightened? I'm not sure I've ever heard of "scarred money" as in somehow damaged or marred. Admittedly I don't gamble so you may have me at a disadvantage here regarding today's terminology.

Yep scared money--as in afraid to wait too long to sell and lose all the investment--getting upside down. It's not a new term, been around for many decades.
In wall st/stock market equities and most commodities like oil or metals, you can set a stop and minimize risk of loss--lots harder to do in livestock, especially for smaller producers.

greybeard":20z6xxyu said:
TennesseeTuxedo":20z6xxyu said:
highgrit":20z6xxyu said:

Yep scared money--as in afraid to wait too long to sell and lose all the investment--getting upside down. It's not a new term, been around for many decades.
In wall st/stock market equities and most commodities like oil or metals, you can set a stop and minimize risk of loss--lots harder to do in livestock, especially for smaller producers.

So just a simple spelling error then? Carry on.

Latest posts