When will drought culling drop cattle prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

None of the hay ground is irrigated. The only ones I know in any of the nearby towns/counties etc that irrigate any land are dairy farmers... and that is corn ground, maybe some soybeans, and alfalfa.... There may be a hay grower that irrigates around here but I do not know them. It is too costly and water is not always available except for some that live along some of the rivers.
We make Orchard Grass on about 30+ acres that is planted and managed for that. All other hay fields are mixes.... O.G., Fescue, crab grass, any clovers, johnson grass in some fields, any grass that grows along with the weeds. We make wheat and or rye in the spring for hay, anything we use for winter cover crops. We are making sorghum-sudan grass for hay now. Sometimes we are lucky and can make it as dry hay... like over this past week and coming week... our cows like it as dry hay. But often the weather does not cooperate and we make it high moisture to wrap to make baleage. We have chopped it for putting in the bunk silo.
We do rotations with corn to help control the johnson grass...and the horse nettle.....
We plant and specifically make orchard grass for several horse hay customers and they do not want clover or johnson grass in the hay... We do not have the time to be able to make alfalfa as it is more demanding in the timing... and with son having a full time job and me still part time... cannot always make the hay in the most timely manner so alfalfa is out.
I know that irrigation is widely used some places, but here it is not except for crops for dairy cattle... The only watering that the hay fields get is what God and Mother Nature provides....
Sounds like you do a great job on your dry ground. I wish my luck/management of my dryland acres where that good. If it wasn't for irrigation we wouldn't put up much of anything. We do get a little rain, this year has certainly been the most rain in a long time. What is your average tonnage of your straight orchard grass?

Will have to check with son to see what different fields produce... I know that we get around 35-40 round bales off the one 10 acre OG field for first cutting... we roll almost all first cutting due to timing of trying to get it made with spring rains... this year we had some good early hay making weather... so I would say that is 3+ bales to the acre and we make 5x5's or so... about 1000 lbs each.. so 1 1/2 ton to the acre first cutting? We mostly sq bale 2nd cutting OG and get 2-400 sq bales off that 10 acres... 50 lb bales m/l... so that's another 1000 lbs per acre minimum....So say 2-3 ton per acre per year.... and sometimes we get a 3rd cutting... I'm figuring the low end... there are other Va guys on here that all make hay and probably get as much or more than we do... @jltrent , @dave_shelby , @kenny thomas others...

Last edited:
Sounds about right Jan. There isn't anything growing this summer but I see some people are still trying. My daughter said that it was so thin and dry that it seemed like half got lost raking.

CB, those are October numbers. Nacogdoches and New Summerfield are both running abnormally higher numbers. All 3 barns are getting some western Louisiana cattle. Amite, LA sale barn(east of Baton Rouge) had 2100 Tuesday (1100 of that was cows).
If we make it to Oct Nov, I think it will be good. There won't be any cattle left. They are dumping them now.

CB, those are October numbers. Nacogdoches and New Summerfield are both running abnormally higher numbers. All 3 barns are getting some western Louisiana cattle. Amite, LA sale barn(east of Baton Rouge) had 2100 Tuesday (1100 of that was cows).
That was this Tuesday sale.

Latest posts