Low H.P. Round Baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi all :?:
I have a D5506 2 wheel drive tractor. The PTO H.P. is supposed to be 50 H.P.
I'm looking for a 4x4 or 4x5 round baler that this tractor will operate. I know about the M&W brand but I do not know much about it. I think it's a softcore baler. So can some of you w/round baler knowledge point me in the right direction. It will have to be an older baler, I've got 3,000.00 to work with. At the present time I only need a 100 bales or so a year.

The reason I want to do m own hay is because the custom balers are all tied up on larger tracts of property. I only have 60 acres. When they do arrive it's usually late July. Last year it was the middle of August. Eveything was burned up. I've spent about 3,600.00 on hay his winter & I reall dont want to do this again. So I need an older baler that my deutz will operate.

Any help & suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks Dan

I ran a JD 435 with twine for a couple of years with a 50 hp Long then a 55 hp jd 5510. Wasn;t fast but it did the job. I set it to make a little smaller then a 4 foot bale.

Go to TractorHouse.com and look at the small rounds over there to give you an idea. That Hesston 5530, C.I. 8420 and the New Idea 4643 roll a 39"x54" roll. I think you'd have to be on some pretty steep land not to handle one of those. I pull a 4x4 roller over some pretty tough terrain with a 63 pto. You can find them cheaper than listed there also. Good luck.

fitz

Thanks for the replies. That's what I needed, brands & model numbers. Sometimes they describe the baler, but hardly ever say what the required H.P. is. Thanks again, Dan.

I used an 8420 for years. Good little baler and easy to work on. I think the tractor was just under 50 h.p. pto. It was 4 wheel drive but I put that baler up some real hills.

fitz

For $3000 it is going to be hard to find one in decent shape. Might look for a NH 640 but that would pull pretty hard on 50 hp.

I used an 8420 for years. Good little baler and easy to work on. I think the tractor was just under 50 h.p. pto. It was 4 wheel drive but I put that baler up some real hills.

fitzfitz
Trail Boss

Fritz, is the 8420 a N.H. ? Dan

Dan; Tom steered you to one in his post. I think that baler new is now labeled Massey Ferguson.

fitz

In the low HP round baler category, I would suggest you look at the Vermeer Rebel series (Model numbers 5400/5410) or the small JD balers (448/458 Standard).

All those have recommended power requirements ranging from 45 HP to 55 HP...

daniel.carver":3leqq48s said:
Hi all :?:
I have a D5506 2 wheel drive tractor. The PTO H.P. is supposed to be 50 H.P.
I'm looking for a 4x4 or 4x5 round baler that this tractor will operate. I know about the M&W brand but I do not know much about it. I think it's a softcore baler. So can some of you w/round baler knowledge point me in the right direction. It will have to be an older baler, I've got 3,000.00 to work with. At the present time I only need a 100 bales or so a year.

The reason I want to do m own hay is because the custom balers are all tied up on larger tracts of property. I only have 60 acres. When they do arrive it's usually late July. Last year it was the middle of August. Eveything was burned up. I've spent about 3,600.00 on hay his winter & I reall dont want to do this again. So I need an older baler that my deutz will operate.

Any help & suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks Dan
You can look for a Vermeer 504F or G. They will be priced in the $2,500-4,000 range for a good one. You could look at any of the closed throat models like a JD410 or Vermeer 504C but you are dealing with balers that must be adjusted top dead center and if they break a major part you junk them.
There are many more baler choices in the $4,000-6,000 range.

Thanks for the info.
There's an individual in OK with an hesston 5510 5X5 for 1,200.00, But I think thats to much on my tractor. I'm asking, am I correct?
I haven't gone to see this yet. Waiting to get some feed back from you all.
Thanks, Dan.

Our 1470 Gehl has rolled about 400 bales a year for 16 yrs. We operated it once on a mid-sized Massey Ferguson (55 hp PTO) and it did fine. It makes small rounds, 4x5.

Sometimes you can find a good used baler that might no longer have all the auto-functions it once had, like ours no longer does the net wrap and I now have to push a button to feed the twine out---Some of these machines make a high volume guy nuts but would work just fine for 5-10 acres cut at one time.Also, some folks want the option to roll wet hay for baleage and not all balers handle that, so there could be some balers around that aren't junk but are no longer suitable for a big operator.

I had a Krone 4 x 5 baler, fixed chamber design and a 50 HP tractor worked great with the machine. I bought the baler second hand and ran it a number of years and it remained trouble free. after I went into rotational grazing I sold it to another farmer. These are simple machines and require minimum maintenance and parts. Anyone person with reasonable mechanical experience can do the few repairs needed. This one has some age on it but appears good and is in most peoples budget
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdet ... D=6401887&

I bought a Krone KR181 last year for $800.00 spent an additional $400.00 for parts like roller chains, teeth, sprockets, twine tie wheel, and some oher small parts that could go wrong and were worn and I now have a reliable 5 x 6 baler. Two months ago I bought a M&W roung baler model 1800 which is identical to the Krone and it is ready to go to the field for it I paid $1,300.00. I have a MF 175 that I pull it with and have plenty of power. One of the best advantages of the soft center bale is that the cattle consume more hay with the ability to grab a mouthful and not have to work for a bite like they do when the bale is rolled tightly. I have been told but haven't read that a cow will only bite / work a limited amount of time for a meal and I believe that it is beneficial to make it easy for them to consume more hay. The other aspect is that they are so easy to operate, my son who has never operated a baler before was able to make beautiful round bales this past year.
I know that the M & W line was popular in central and northern Missouri and I have seen Krone in the SW part of your state. Maybe God will bless you like he has me with an affordable baler.

I have used the Case before made a nice bale and the baler was cheap back then it was only 4500, I am right there with you on baling my own hay, I figure between the depreciation, paying a custom baler, better quality hay, and taxes it will pay for itself 3 years. So this time next yeat I will be back in the hay business doing the same as you. I looked at that heston baler on ebay looks nice, I perfer the 4x5 over the 4x4 for feeding. I figure my own hay with a haysaver I should be a lot farther ahead than paying and waiting on the custom guy.

You all are great!
I've got a guy over at Pearidge AR, about 1 hr away, & he wants to sell a Hesston 5510 5X5 round baler for 1200.00, But I think that may be to much for 50 H.P. What do you all think.
Thanks, Dan

Latest posts