Love having halter broke cows!

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
Loaded up 4 black heifers in the little 16' bumper hitch this morning to take over to the pasture down the road. Got there backed up to the Jerry-rigged corral I left there from loading cows last year. Called all the cows up to the corral so the heifers wouldn't have to go find them, and might get themselves in trouble till they found them. All the cows came up and walked right in the corral. Well I knew we had to bring the fall cows home next week, and the big trailer could only haul 6-7 at a time, so that would me I would have to come back and get 3 cows. So since I had them all in there I thought I might try getting some loaded, and be less work later. Worked on them a while, and none would get in. Well had 3 halters with me, so grabbed them. Got 3 cows caught, loaded them on the trailer, and hauled them home.

Boy I love halter broke cows...would of never got any of them by myself without them being halter broke.

Just makes you appreciate the effort it takes to "manage" your business properly , and halter break, bucket break, and bunk break your calves when they are small enough to be able to do it without getting run over and stepped on! Prospective buyers appreciate it also! It is part of "backgrounding" your calves. I call it "UPGRADING" your business!

DOC HARRIS

We only have one cow that is not halter broke in our herd. We really think long and hard before we purchase a cow that is not halter broke, and make sure everyone here gets halter broke as a baby so that is an option for the buyer. They are so much easier to work around. When we need to AI a cow, instead of bringing the entire herd up to get the one cow in, we just go out with a bucket of grain and halter and walk the one up we need.

DOC HARRIS":oeuc7tf6 said:
Just makes you appreciate the effort it takes to "manage" your business properly , and halter break, bucket break, and bunk break your calves when they are small enough to be able to do it without getting run over and stepped on! Prospective buyers appreciate it also! It is part of "backgrounding" your calves. I call it "UPGRADING" your business!

DOC HARRIS
:nod: Especially when you are an old woman on her own. Sure allows things to go smoother in the barn! Makes the cows your helpers and less need for human helper. ;-)

DOC HARRIS":u7gdr0r9 said:

DOC HARRIS
I always try to get the bulls broke, even the one's I don't show. Makes a pretty good effect on the buyer when I can lead the bull right up to his truck to look at him. :lol2:

CKC, having halter broke cows is great for a one man/woman operation.

I may be the only one, but I hate halter broke cattle. Makes it a complete pain to work when your doing larger groups. They are always in the road and their flight zone is so small that they don't care to move.

Never had a halter-broke bovine of any sort, and with 80 head, I can't imagine attempting it.

I'm with Jake - back when I was in practice, we only had one client with 'show cattle' (Santa Gertrudis) - and it was maddeningly slow trying to work them - you couldn't get 'em to move, and despite most of 'em being show stock, even when they haltered 'em, the owners (I'm thinking now that they were just that - owners - and not the usual handlers) could hardly drag 'em up the alley to the chute.
Now... halter-broke non-Brahman-influenced cattle might work better, but I dunno.

Lucky_P said:
Never had a halter-broke bovine of any sort, and with 80 head, I can't imagine attempting it.

I'm with Jake - back when I was in practice, we only had one client with 'show cattle' (Santa Gertrudis) - and it was maddeningly slow trying to work them - you couldn't get 'em to move, and despite most of 'em being show stock, even when they haltered 'em, the owners (I'm thinking now that they were just that - owners - and not the usual handlers) could hardly drag 'em up the alley to the chute.
Now... halter-broke non-Brahman-influenced cattle might work better, but I dunno.[/quote] i doubt it, if the gerts were that hard, you have to drag a bos taurus up to the head catch, with a backhoe.. :cowboy:

Latest posts