Love baldie babies

Help Support CattleToday:

Two heifer calves born this month out of baldie mommas and Gizmo Raindance View attachment 38288View attachment 38289View attachment 38290
They are cute...I've kept back one of my baldie calves with a white tip tail...but I prefer holding back the Red Angus Calves...over Black Angus...i might not get the good money for them...but Red Angus are just more hearty, they get bigger, eat the weeds better....and today, I saw a 650lb Red Angus Heifer just push passed, shoving one of the original 7 Black Angus cows 1200lbs like she was boss. Can't get over the difference in Red versus Black in my herd. Red wins.

I'm a fan also. Those are some pretty interesting designs.

My dad use to have this old brindle kind of cow. She had some shorter type horns. One of those where one is flat and the other was kind of turned up a little.

Any ways, she had a Y right on the middle of here forhead. The bottom section on one side was white, the bottom on the other was a red brindle, the top was black. It was pretty cool. That was before we all had cameras in our pockets though. Wish some one would have taken a pic at the time.

They are cute...I've kept back one of my baldie calves with a white tip tail...but I prefer holding back the Red Angus Calves...over Black Angus...i might not get the good money for them...but Red Angus are just more hearty, they get bigger, eat the weeds better....and today, I saw a 650lb Red Angus Heifer just push passed, shoving one of the original 7 Black Angus cows 1200lbs like she was boss. Can't get over the difference in Red versus Black in my herd. Red wins.
I bought my original stock from a neighbor who switched to Red Angus.

Other bull . None of the Hereford are bred to Gizmo Raindance. He is with our older angus cows and black baldie cows . The first 2 baldie heifers are out of him .plus the triplets/ twins

Luck ran out today. Lost a nice baldie heifer calf out of another Hereford cow . No clue . Mom was standing over her . One of the better milkers of the Hereford cows . Had a thought of grafting one of the twins on her but don't want to rock the boat since the twins are doing so good on their momma .if you have them you going to lose them .

Luck ran out today. Lost a nice baldie heifer calf out of another Hereford cow . No clue . Mom was standing over her . One of the better milkers of the Hereford cows . Had a thought of grafting one of the twins on her but don't want to rock the boat since the twins are doing so good on their momma .if you have them you going to lose them .
Sorry to hear. How many babies do you have?

Good question ! 3 cow herds , I'm not sure . Trying to keep hay in front of 3 herds of cow/calves plus a group of 11 open heifers . I haven't counted . I don't tag anymore since I hurt my back . So my record keeping isn't as good as it use to be . I'm ashamed because I use to tag every new calf , write down calving date , estimated birth weight, weaning weight etc . I'll get back with you on #'s

Good question ! 3 cow herds , I'm not sure . Trying to keep hay in front of 3 herds of cow/calves plus a group of 11 open heifers . I haven't counted . I don't tag anymore since I hurt my back . So my record keeping isn't as good as it use to be . I'm ashamed because I use to tag every new calf , write down calving date , estimated birth weight, weaning weight etc . I'll get back with you on #'s
Don't be ashamed…you can only do what you can especially when you have a troublesome back. To be calving like you are is impressive. Take care of yourself. Nice set of calves.

Don't be ashamed…you can only do what you can especially when you have a troublesome back. To be calving like you are is impressive. Take care of yourself. Nice set of calves.
Thanks for the encouragement! I do need to get a count . When you see them everyday you recognize most of them even when most of them are the same color .

After last year getting a tag in a calf's ear is not as important to me. Last year we still had a good 12" of snow when we started calving, and still six inches in the middle of April. I can't runs so well in deep snow. They all got tagged at branding, and they all had to go to the ranch whither they calved or not. Probably had five slicks when they came home in October. If I can get some tagged this year ok, and if I don't I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Not exact , but I think we have 42 on the ground now . Found 3 new ones this morning. 2 out of gizmo Raindance and 1 out of the Rampage son . That's counting with about 18 fall calves . Not counting what we lost . Lost a set of twins in December, one of the triplets and the baldie calf this week .

Not exact , but I think we have 42 on the ground now . Found 3 new ones this morning. 2 out of gizmo Raindance and 1 out of the Rampage son . That's counting with about 18 fall calves . Not counting what we lost . Lost a set of twins in December, one of the triplets and the baldie calf this week .
Double us😊…we just had number 21 this morning. We started beginning of January with one early baby on Boxing Day.

Latest posts