I love looking at young heifers, especially if they are mine.

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I love the look of a group of young heifers especially if they are all at a gate or something anticipating a bit of feed. Before we got the camera out they were up at the corner of the paddock looking for me to come along. I really think I have nailed that look I like with a fairly even group of young girls this year. I don't mean to have you critique any individual ones, just appreciate the group as a whole though there is one there that I think is very special though she did not feature in the video. There were a few Musgrave Exclusives that put themselves in front of the camera.
I will feed these a small feed once a day over winter. I like to have them very white bucket orientated so they will follow me anywhere and I will weigh them once a fortnight over winter to make sure they continue to put on weight, I target .75-1 kg/day and they will get bred in spring, late September. It has been a terrific summer here and autumn has been extremely wet, the clover is very strong and should keep going through winter.

Ken

I love the look of a group of young heifers especially if they are all at a gate or something anticipating a bit of feed. Before we got the camera out they were up at the corner of the paddock looking for me to come along. I really think I have nailed that look I like with a fairly even group of young girls this year. I don't mean to have you critique any individual ones, just appreciate the group as a whole though there is one there that I think is very special though she did not feature in the video. There were a few Musgrave Exclusives that put themselves in front of the camera.
I will feed these a small feed once a day over winter. I like to have them very white bucket orientated so they will follow me anywhere and I will weigh them once a fortnight over winter to make sure they continue to put on weight, I target .75-1 kg/day and they will get bred in spring, late September. It has been a terrific summer here and autumn has been extremely wet, the clover is very strong and should keep going through winter.

Ken

Nice heifers. Thanks for posting!

I checked out a few of your videos and have to tell you that you have very nice cattle. If you were feeding like some of the seedstock people here in the states your current heifers would probably look like those they're selling for ungodly money. There are a few that are straight up awesome

Ken, that is a fine group of heifers - from top to bottom. Well, I really didn't see anything that you would want to call bottom end. Great breeding/management program. Perfect condition for breeding.

Thanks for your comments. When I started breeding Angus when I retired about 15 years ago I used to admire the photos of groups of heifers from good breeders with them bunched together looking at the photographer some gamer than others but of a uniform quality and feel that I am getting that look with this bunch. There are 13 here, two have been sold to my neighbour to breed to Simmental bull and I sold another 8 to some people that have bought a couple of bulls from me previously. I am keeping the remaining 11, was supposed to be 10 but you know how it is, always hard getting them down to what you want. After this year I am going to transition to doing heifers PTIC selling around this time of the year all my surplus and just keeping about 3 or 4 bulls primarily for my own use as yearlings and then sell them after I've finished. This will allow me to keep a few more cows as well and eliminate the hassle of marketing bulls. I will only have 40 cows but having them at 3 venues will necessitate the 3 bulls to clean up after AI.

Ken

I had to go back to the video to listen for the birds and even then I hardly heard them, I guess I take them for granted. We do have a lot of birds here, Rosellas and Crimson Rosellas, King Parrots, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Galahs, Corella's. It may have been the Corellas that you heard in the video.. Black yellow tail Cockatoos come regular to feed on the pine nuts on the trees near the house and the Black Red Tail Cockatoos visit the Banksia and Bottle Brush trees in my scrub block next door. Most of these birds are quite colourfull. We have a heap of other birds like Magpies/ Butcher birds, Plovers, Kurawongs, Crows, Kookaburras and a heap of others that I just can't think of at the moment. I do take them all for granted. I have loved the 15 years I have been here and just hope I can get another 10 years out of this old body for my dogs sake. I turned 71 today, I'm starting to run out of birthdays I think.
As far as speaking Stralian. I think you would have heard Pam asking, "what have I done" OK but I guess I mumble a bit but doesn't matter, I was talking to the heifers and they know what I am saying and they do get used to your voice. Next video I'll try and say something directly to my audience so you can say that you understand Stralian.

Ken

Latest posts