Looking for hereford herd to breed welsh black

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Hello Folks, wondering if anyone out there has or knows of someone who has a large commercial horned hereford herd that are straightbred hereford. Looking for someone who is interested in breeding their straightbred hereford cows to Welsh black bulls that we purchase and we buy back all the calves to feed out the steers and keep the females for replacements. Preferably someone in Canada but are willing to look at someone in the states. We supply the bulls.

Anyone? Thinking this might be a quick way to build our welsh black/horned hereford females up quicker and then just terminal our whole herd.

Hi Bizin,

Sorry I can't help you but I'm very interested in Welsh Blacks and coincidentally, I have been working with a guy breeding and show Welshies here in Australia.

He has been looking OS for genetics, particularly polled bulls, either way it would be interesting to learn more about your operation and where you have sourced your Welsh Blacks from.

Old Man...the best welsh blacks I have come across have been from Frosty Acres Farms at Bluffton, AB. They are horned Fullblood genetics though. Randy Scott of Trochu, AB I believe, also has good cattle and one of the biggest welsh black herds out there. We have travelled far and wide to look at welsh black herds in the last 6 or 7 years and finally found Frosty Acres. They only have about 80 cows left as they are both getting into their 80's, but they are good fullblood cows and horned genetics is what we are looking for. They have a handful of polled cows. See the Welsh Blacks in Canada, like alot of other breeds, are breeding up their numbers by using angus influence cows. I think it only has to be 7/8 welsh black to be classified as a purebred, so we stick to the fullbloods.

Bizin,

I have always been fascinated with Welsh Blacks since getting into cattle. My Galloway/Anxiety baldy cross calves are always excellent for our beef business. I would imagine the same results with the Welsh. Would you be willing to post or PM some pics of Fullbloods for me? I would appreciate it.

If I can find the bulls this week I can get some pics. They are roaming through a few hundred acres of native grass and bush. It'll be plus 11 here tomorrow, normal temp is around -20 so we are getting the most out of our stockpiled grass. Our heifer calves arent that great to look at right now but I will get some pics of our Welsh Black/Horned Hereford and Welsh Black/Horned Hereford/Angus heifers.

We are currently breeding our commercial hereford cows Welsh Black but most of them are purebred cows that I would like to breed hereford again to get some more purebred hereford cows that is why I would like to find someone with a few hundred straight horned hereford cows where we buy the bulls and they use them for a few years, we buy back all the calves, feed the steers in our feedlot and keep the females to breed.

Latest posts