Looking for a Quality Black Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Ranch Man

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just sold my Charlois Bull and am considering switching to a Black Bull. Just wondered if anyone out there has a good 18 mo-24 mo old Black Bull for sale. Let me shine some light on the situation and if anyone has any suggestions...which I am sure they will, I would like to hear them. I currently have 19 F1 Tigerstripe cows and no Bull. Slightly more than half have calved and the rest are very close. I got 22 cents a pound more last year with a black calf than I did on all of the rest of the Tan Calves. I would like a good Black Bull to compliment the F1s. You know take a little of the ear and navel off while turning the coat black, while promoting fast growth. Perhaps there is a specific Breed or Cross of Black Bull I should consider. Every calf I produce is terminal. I have at least one month before I need to actually put the bull on the cows as I am finally going to syncronize all of the gals. You can pm me or reply to the post, either way let me know what you think. Thanks, TRM

I am an Angus breeder, but I have no bulls left in that age group. Since you are in Central Texas, I would call Randy Roden @ (817) 874-8537. I believe he can help you as he has a very large inventory of Registered Black Angus Cattle. :arrow:

Texas Ranch Man":38stsref said:
Hi everyone, just sold my Charlois Bull and am considering switching to a Black Bull. Just wondered if anyone out there has a good 18 mo-24 mo old Black Bull for sale. Let me shine some light on the situation and if anyone has any suggestions...which I am sure they will, I would like to hear them. I currently have 19 F1 Tigerstripe cows and no Bull. Slightly more than half have calved and the rest are very close. I got 22 cents a pound more last year with a black calf than I did on all of the rest of the Tan Calves. I would like a good Black Bull to compliment the F1s. You know take a little of the ear and navel off while turning the coat black, while promoting fast growth. Perhaps there is a specific Breed or Cross of Black Bull I should consider. Every calf I produce is terminal. I have at least one month before I need to actually put the bull on the cows as I am finally going to syncronize all of the gals. You can pm me or reply to the post, either way let me know what you think. Thanks, TRM

Use an Angus bull, of course, and look into the AngusSource program.

http://www.angussource.com/

Go to kemilimousin.com. Michelle has a good 3 year old bull thats she wants to sell, and the price was fair. Dont remember if the bull is homo black, but he is a thick moderate frame bull, and the picture she has on the website doesnt do the bull justice. His scrotal is much larger than it looks in the pic. She is in North Zulch., outside of Bryan

A nice black gelbvieh or black simmental or black limmi would be a good terminal cross. Typically they are known more their growth.

Personally i would go with something other then angus. A good black limo or simmi will do a better job of putting pounds across the scale, and the black would get you some extra cents a pound.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but waiting til now to start bull shopping could be a hinderance. Most of the bulls for sale, at least around here, are yearlings. I hate seeing someone buy a yearling bull and drop him off the trailer in with that many cows. I would feel better with a 2yo or such. Although I'm not crazy about limmis, the 3yo hc suggested would fit the bill perfectly, being you want terminals. Some of the better breeders in this area will sell their fall yearlings and offer to winter them for buyers for a very reasonable fee, often times cheaper than you can afford to feed them yourself. That is helpful in more ways than one.

cfpinz

Texas Ranch Man":1gfgwmiy said:
a good simm/angus or limm/angus. would be just the ticket on thoses tigers for a terminal cross. i have used straight simm. bulls on tigers you talk about some growing calves and plenty of milk too support them . thats the key ;-)