Looking At Diesel Trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30 said:
TCRanch said:
sstterry said:
Y'all remember my epic drama with my 2015 F250 diesel? Love a diesel but traded it in for a '16 gasser.
What your problems and how many miles were on it . 2015 f350 with 100 k miles lariat I'm thinking about getting test driving this weekend
A whopping 8900 miles. The condensed version is somehow water got into the diesel. Got a flashing notification "Reduced Engine Power" and it died, fortunately while I was still on the ranch. Condensation? Tampering is unlikely. Cracked seal? Will never know. And bumper-to-bumper wouldn't cover it. Seriously - brand new Platinum. WTH? Insurance eventually covered it but I didn't trust there wasn't something wrong with the truck to begin with and really can't justify the maintenance on a diesel (that's why Hubby has the Man Truck) so traded it in for the exact same truck but a gasser. Link below if you're interested and there's a lot of good info from been-there-done-that members.
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104894

I'd rather get a deleted truck than not.. the EGR systems on all these trucks are a big source of problems (6.0's especially)
I'd rather an older one but since you're talking about newer....

One thing I really don't like about all the V8's is they're such miserable #$%#$'s to work on.. Buddy did the water pump in a Ford 6.4, was a whole day job.. Cummins, it's 2 bolts and a belt, and it's like that with many parts, what's a small job on an inline 6 (generally speaking) is much harder on the new V8's with cab-over designs

TCRanch said:
Bfields30 said:
TCRanch said:
Y'all remember my epic drama with my 2015 F250 diesel? Love a diesel but traded it in for a '16 gasser.
What your problems and how many miles were on it . 2015 f350 with 100 k miles lariat I'm thinking about getting test driving this weekend
A whopping 8900 miles. The condensed version is somehow water got into the diesel. Got a flashing notification "Reduced Engine Power" and it died, fortunately while I was still on the ranch. Condensation? Tampering is unlikely. Cracked seal? Will never know. And bumper-to-bumper wouldn't cover it. Seriously - brand new Platinum. WTH? Insurance eventually covered it but I didn't trust there wasn't something wrong with the truck to begin with and really can't justify the maintenance on a diesel (that's why Hubby has the Man Truck) so traded it in for the exact same truck but a gasser. Link below if you're interested and there's a lot of good info from been-there-done-that members.

If you truly had water in the fuel I don't see how you can say the diesel was not a good rig. I've been driving diesels since 1998 and have never had an unexpected problem.

I've got a '18 F350 Diesel and a '19 F350 Gasser. Both are good trucks and do what I bought them for. Make no mistake though, the gasser doesn't have the power of the diesel. It's not even close. Hopefully the gasser won't have the upkeep cost of a diesel though. The extra up front cost on a diesel is high but will be recouped at resale so hard to figure that in.

TCRanch said:
A whopping 8900 miles. The condensed version is somehow water got into the diesel.

Most likely there was water in the diesel where you purchased the diesel. I have had a couple of cases like this over the years. Just last year a friend's diesel supplier brought him a whole load that was mainly water. Luckily he had samples he kept before they pumped the tank. We had to sue, but they ended up replacing the engine on one of his tractors.

Water contamination is more common than you would think. Most all fuel flows through the same pipe to the distribution centers (Chevron, Shell, Marathon, BP, Exxon ect.) They separate it with a "water block". They are always supposed to let the water settle after the fuel for the particuialry delivery is made through the pipe. Sometimes they fail to do this. It is called something "wash".

Greybeard or someone else more experienced can probably explain it a lot better.

Lucky said:
TCRanch said:
Bfields30 said:

If you truly had water in the fuel I don't see how you can say the diesel was not a good rig. I've been driving diesels since 1998 and have never had an unexpected problem.

I never said a diesel wasn't a good rig. I like them. We have one.

It's always a good idea to use water minder filters on aux fuel tanks for farm equipment. If you buy diesel at the same station allot it doesn't hurt to ask if they run water minder filters on the pumps.

Bfields30 said:
About how many miles is a diesel broke in? And what's a good amount to buy used one

Talk about a loaded question. I'd say a diesel is good and broke in at around 500 miles and the semi expensive repairs($700-1,000) kick in around 75k. Thing to remember is that there's an entire truck wrapped around that diesel engine that probably had a rougher life than a gas burner. Best thing to do is set a budget and find the best deal that fits it.

Talked to a guy with a duramax the other day and he is replacing the entire fuel system at a cost of $8,000. I'd guess truck is less than 5 yrs old, don't know the miles.

sstterry said:
TCRanch said:
A whopping 8900 miles. The condensed version is somehow water got into the diesel.

Most likely there was water in the diesel where you purchased the diesel. I have had a couple of cases like this over the years. Just last year a friend's diesel supplier brought him a whole load that was mainly water. Luckily he had samples he kept before they pumped the tank. We had to sue, but they ended up replacing the engine on one of his tractors.

Water contamination is more common than you would think. Most all fuel flows through the same pipe to the distribution centers (Chevron, Shell, Marathon, BP, Exxon ect.) They separate it with a "water block". They are always supposed to let the water settle after the fuel for the particuialry delivery is made through the pipe. Sometimes they fail to do this. It is called something "wash".

Greybeard or someone else more experienced can probably explain it a lot better.

We didn't separate in the pipeline with a water plug but gasoline's or jet fuel. I never received any in the refinery either with a water plug. We put 500k in Colonial pipeline daily, it carried another 2.5 million barrels daily from other refineries to the east coast.
The water comes from steam stripping (Dalton's Law) virgin crudes in a fractionation tower on a Pipe Stills unit. Most water is drawn off in tankage, some becomes miscible and will settle after sitting in tankage. Receiving water in the diesel would indicate in most root cause failure analysts that the terminal farms are not routinely drawing the water off tankage. Secondly they are pulling the tank below the suction standpipe in tankage or the standpipe integrity is bad and needs repair.

Don't have one nor ever aspired to have one but Ford seems to be the most popular diesel truck in these parts.

Chevy duramax 👍🏽👍🏽
Take them old Fords and Rams throw them in the creek. 😅
I been driving chevys since I could drive.
My mama drives chevy.
My husband better be driving a Chevy or finding a new places to park. 😅
My daddy drove chevys.
My gpas drove chevys.
My gma they drove chevys.
My uncle yea he parks in the creek. But he so darn rich he buys a brand spanky new one every year or 2.
All my other family drives chevys.
My brother he did drive one them big old 80's ford Van's it was pretty good to him. One owner when he brought it. He parked in the creek, next to Uncle. ;)
I've had to many chevy Duramax to count they are good trucks. I about had one my babies in one. Lmao

Chevy said:
Chevy duramax 👍🏽👍🏽
Take them old Fords and Rams throw them in the creek. 😅
I been driving chevys since I could drive.
My mama drives chevy.
My husband better be driving a Chevy or finding a new places to park. 😅
My daddy drove chevys.
My gpas drove chevys.
My gma they drove chevys.
My uncle yea he parks in the creek. But he so darn rich he buys a brand spanky new one every year or 2.
All my other family drives chevys.
My brother he did drive one them big old 80's ford Van's it was pretty good to him. One owner when he brought it. He parked in the creek, next to Uncle. ;)
I've had to many chevy Duramax to count they are good trucks. I about had one my babies in one. Lmao

So you are saying there are no Ford or Dodge Dealers near you????? :tiphat:

Am dedicated to my Ford's but in my opinion any vehicle u by it's gonna break. I run a 01 7.3 love it will last me for awhile I hear really good reviews on the Ford 6.7s I think there a great motor. I'd recommend u buy one used delete the garbage off it and run it.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Texasmark said:
Don't have one nor ever aspired to have one but Ford seems to be the most popular diesel truck in these parts.

For good reason.
Dead On Day Guarantee Expires is just wrapped around a Cummins.
I haven't seen a Dodge body to hold up well yet on these dirt roads. You can hear one rattling before it's in sight.

Recently bought an '11 F350 diesel for $23k with 144,000 miles on it. Hard to find priced there. Most are closer to 30+ until you pass 200k miles.

Jake said:
Recently bought an '11 F350 diesel for $23k with 144,000 miles on it. Hard to find priced there. Most are closer to 30+ until you pass 200k miles.

Yeah I have seen a good amount in my area 12-15 models f250 and f350 around 28-34 k less than 110 k miles on all of them.

Latest posts