Diesel gelling

Help Support CattleToday:

If I have a machine that is running but poorly I change filter. Have a look at the inside of filter. If it appears gelled at all I add 911 to the filter and tank, along with some hot shot secret. Restart and hope for the best.
Great advise if you can still get fuel filters. I burned my spares, and our town is out. They blame the supply chain. Going to need to stock more...

Do you just change the primary filter at first?

Def System is designed to freeze and thaw. Has a built in heater in the tank to thaw out def after it is frozen. Def tank has surplus capacity for expansion of frozen def. Lines are built to withstand frozen def.
Def isn't constantly being used it is a on demand system. Def is only added when needed to increase temperatures to insure a clean burn. Def only use is to increase oxygen to ensure a complete burn before exhaust exists. Doe's absolutely nothing to increase power or to increase efficiency in the combustion chamber. It's only purpose is to remove "contaminants " from the exhaust before it exists the tail pipe.

Best time to purchase fuel filters is immediately after you install your last set.
In some areas parts stores have a spring farm filter sale . Where you can get filters at 30-50 percent of retail. If so I would purchase an entire year worth of filters at this time.
Also look at getting fleet pricing on filters if you have a large number filters.
I always change both fuel filters at once. Closest filter to fuel tank will always be higher micron spec. Closest to engine will be lower micron. Ie first filter will filter to 10 microns second filter will filter to 2 micron.
As emission requirements have increased fuel filter requirements have increased. Fuel rail pressures have increased and injector orifices are becoming smaller and smaller to insure fuel entering the combustion chamber is aerosolized to ensure a more complete combustion of fuel.
Was told in training by a filter manufacturer rep that fuel filters required on newer diesel engines would completely plug up in minutes by culinary water. That is also why they are stressing not to prefill fuel filters prior to installation. And if you insist on pre filling them do it from the outside in because if you dump it in the center you are dumping unfiltered fuel in the system.
A human hair is approximately 50 microns so something a small as 1/25 the diameter of a human hair can plug up newer diesel filters. And many gasoline vehicles are completely doing away with replaceable fuel filters

We had a line break at work a few nights ago that was 125' in the air. They brought in 3 125' lifts and a 125' bucket truck. All 4 had either diesel gelling or hydraulic gelling issues. The temps were in the low teens with 20+ mile a hour winds. The lifts were drivin in from over 100 miles away so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I didn't have any trouble with tractor the following moring though.

We had a line break at work a few nights ago that was 125' in the air. They brought in 3 125' lifts and a 125' bucket truck. All 4 had either diesel gelling or hydraulic gelling issues. The temps were in the low teens with 20+ mile a hour winds. The lifts were drivin in from over 100 miles away so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I didn't have any trouble with tractor the following moring though.
Bet that was a cheap fix. Also who drew the short straw and had to go up on said 125' lift in 20+ mph winds. That is not for the faint of heart or reasonably intelligent.

Bet that was a cheap fix. Also who drew the short straw and had to go up on said 125' lift in 20+ mph winds. That is not for the faint of heart or reasonably intelligent.
Lol. One of our guys had actually made it up 100' earlier in the day with a fire truck and cut some of the cable off. I was inside the night or I'd have gone up. We have a few that are more than willing and a bunch that are no goers. They finally got a lift in on day shift when the sun was out that made the pick.
The first night I was watching the guys go up on one of the big screens and once he got about 75' he would stop awhile and then go a few feet then stop again. We thought he was getting scared but the lift was actually dieing because the fuel would gell up. Pretty hairy stuff. There is no telling what they spent trying to make the repair.

As emission requirements have increased fuel filter requirements have increased. Fuel rail pressures have increased, and injector orifices are becoming smaller and smaller to ensure fuel entering the combustion chamber is aerosolized to ensure a more complete combustion of fuel.
What happens mechanically when old timers put a quart of gasoline into cloudy diesel fuel to clear it?

Is there a real problem, or is this a liability concern because of no volume control?

Last edited:
What happens mechanically when old timers put a quart of gasoline into cloudy diesel fuel to clear it?

Is there a real problem, or is this a liability concern because of no volume control?
I wouldn't do this in my new diesel pickup but, I do have a friend that does. He puts 1 gallon of gas to 25 gallons of diesel and hasn't had any trouble on his newer equipment, including a new Powerstroke.

You lower the flash point. Lower the temp at which the combustion occurs.,
The result incomplete burn of fuel, lower power, reduced lubrication., increase potential for knocking. Increased demand on emission systems.

Latest posts