Diesel gelling

Help Support CattleToday:

Hot secret is my go to. Run summer fuel all year long down to -40F actually temp without issue. If you can't find it Howes is decent.

White bottle diesel 911 is mediocre at best.

Red bottle diesel 911 is NOT a preventative its to try and clear up already jellied fuel. It can be hard of injection pumps because is has no lube properties.

I used to run Howes but they took the graduations off the bottle, that really pissed me off. I'm supposed to carry a measuring cup with me now?

I switched to Lucas and haven't had any trouble. I believe Project Farm tested them all and Hot Shots was the best.

Our fuel is supposed to come pretreated but we've still had trouble in the past with gelling.

Just a reminder to those that don't usually get this cold weather, summer diesel doesn't like it either, better get some good conditioner added!
I had to pull the filter (actually a fine mesh screen, Goldenrod) off my diesel tank yesterday to get fuel to flow into the tractor. It still ran at less than 1/4 speed. And that's full on winter fuel. The diesel on the filter looked like a white/grey slushy. Sure glad to have a shop to keep the tractor (and it's fuel) warm overnight. Only had this option since 2018 so it's still a treat.

It also turns out that once the temperature of propane in the tank reaches -42C it ceases to gas off. That means no tank pressure, no gas going where it needs to go. That was todays issue. It's not normally an issue here because if your tanks are pretty full it takes a long time for the propane to drop to -42. It it's been chilly for awhile.

I had to pull the filter (actually a fine mesh screen, Goldenrod) off my diesel tank yesterday to get fuel to flow into the tractor. It still ran at less than 1/4 speed. And that's full on winter fuel. The diesel on the filter looked like a white/grey slushy. Sure glad to have a shop to keep the tractor (and it's fuel) warm overnight. Only had this option since 2018 so it's still a treat.

It also turns out that once the temperature of propane in the tank reaches -42C it ceases to gas off. That means no tank pressure, no gas going where it needs to go. That was todays issue. It's not normally an issue here because if your tanks are pretty full it takes a long time for the propane to drop to -42. It it's been chilly for awhile.
Our propane tanks are painted a reflective silver around here, to reflect sunlight. Do you paint yours flat black?

Serious question, and I have many more if you have trouble sleeping.

Our propane tanks are painted a reflective silver around here, to reflect sunlight. Do you paint yours flat black?

Serious question, and I have many more if you have trouble sleeping.
Our tanks tend to come in the colours of the company that supplies them. White is common. Putting a black cover over them during the winter wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Unbelievable. I honestly can't imagine how you can get anything to work right those temps. It seems like if we get in the 20s nothing works right. Things (especially plastic) break. I'm sure you learn with experience but it's something a lot of us just can't comprehend.

Unbelievable. I honestly can't imagine how you can get anything to work right those temps. It seems like if we get in the 20s nothing works right. Things (especially plastic) break. I'm sure you learn with experience but it's something a lot of us just can't comprehend.
Well, some of us have never known anything different. Come July /August I'll be marvelling at how you guys survive in what seems to me to be impossible conditions for man, machinery, and beast.

-12 for #2 #1 up here goes down to -60
Sounds good in theory,but in reality anytime the forecast is much below 40 I treat #2 and anytime forecast is below 0 I treat #1
In reality #2 can and will gel before the temp gets to 32

I had always heard you could run winter diesel all summer long with no downside other than less btu's in winter fuel. (Less energy content)
Here #1 is Kerosene. There is a winter blend of #2 but we still treat it when it gets cold.
Seems like I have seen a 50/50 blend somewhere in the Dakotas or Montana.