Longhorn cross

Help Support CattleToday:

You are so full of it the brown runs off your fingers to the typing keys. For an individual who has in the past claimed he has never been a cow man, now is a biker, sometime a cutter or a team roper, big businessman that granddaddy paid the education for, my opinion of you gets less with every paragraph of malarkey you post. I believe you are a never has been that never will be. The term Foghorn Leghorn was given to another that was very much like you so we will have to deliberate on your handle a little more. You remind me of a little Yosemite Sam.
I'll bite because this was a bit much, @alacowman1 and him know some of the same dudes in the roping circles, so there's one you can't say much about. The bar for biker is pretty easy to figure out, tons of people own bikes and ride in MCs. He's detailed in many threads that he once did cow-calf for himself but mostly has raised smaller batches for himself and traded much more so. He's listed people he knows with a few big ranches which would be a big limb to go out on if somebody couldn't ask them, hell I think he even knows @kenny thomas and some of the others if you need somebody's in person review. As far as his grandfather paying for school, I don't get the skepticism there. As far as business goes, I remember the thread where he talked about his heart problems and he seemed to move a lot of money pretty quickly so I reckon I'm inclined to believe that too.

Or maybe I'm just slower to call a man a flat out liar, I try to save that for when I know it's true without a doubt.

Well CAB is an advertising campaign of the AAA. Here in our country Red angus are registered in the Red Angus Association of America....a separate organization. About a year ago, Dec of 2021, RAAA petitioned the USDA to allow the participation of Red Angus in Angus beef programs. There are many programs in addition to CAB. The USDA granted approval, and developed the requirements for Red Angus cattle to be certified in any of these programs that wanted them, It is up to that program to request the inclusion of Red Angus in their program, and the USDA will assist a program in re-writing their criteria. Dunno if CAB has requested it or not. I don't see how it would benefit the AAA to do so. You can breed a reg Red Angus to a reg Black Angus, and the calf can be reg in the RAAA, The calf will be black, and therefor already be CAB qualified.
Yes, I know what CAB is and agree it would not be in the AAA interest to include Red Angus in CAB from a marketing standpoint. My point is that Red Angus are the same animal as black Angus and it's mind blowing how people think that there is some magical difference in carcass quality just because of the black hide.
I'm not trying to lobby for any breed with joining CAB, I'm just trying to point out how ridiculous that their marketing campaign is even though it's been the most successful snow job in history based on convincing people that it's all in a name based on hide color.
Red Angus are Angus yet CAB is selling black Angus, BWF, black Simmentals etc. all under their CAB brand.

I'll bite because this was a bit much, @alacowman1 and him know some of the same dudes in the roping circles, so there's one you can't say much about. The bar for biker is pretty easy to figure out, tons of people own bikes and ride in MCs. He's detailed in many threads that he once did cow-calf for himself but mostly has raised smaller batches for himself and traded much more so. He's listed people he knows with a few big ranches which would be a big limb to go out on if somebody couldn't ask them, hell I think he even knows @kenny thomas and some of the others if you need somebody's in person review. As far as his grandfather paying for school, I don't get the skepticism there. As far as business goes, I remember the thread where he talked about his heart problems and he seemed to move a lot of money pretty quickly so I reckon I'm inclined to believe that too.

Or maybe I'm just slower to call a man a flat out liar, I try to save that for when I know it's true without a doubt.
@50/50Farms, I have talked to him but actually don't know him and have not met him.

Well CAB is an advertising campaign of the AAA. Here in our country Red angus are registered in the Red Angus Association of America....a separate organization. About a year ago, Dec of 2021, RAAA petitioned the USDA to allow the participation of Red Angus in Angus beef programs. There are many programs in addition to CAB. The USDA granted approval, and developed the requirements for Red Angus cattle to be certified in any of these programs that wanted them, It is up to that program to request the inclusion of Red Angus in their program, and the USDA will assist a program in re-writing their criteria. Dunno if CAB has requested it or not. I don't see how it would benefit the AAA to do so. You can breed a reg Red Angus to a reg Black Angus, and the calf can be reg in the RAAA, The calf will be black, and therefor already be CAB qualified.
Ya know... after reading a lot of your posts and finding most of them pretty well reasoned and fairly open to interpretation... I've also noticed that whenever the CAB program becomes a topic of conversation you show up to be an ardent supporter and apologist. It's almost like you are working with a text to share rebuttals to every objection.

I've seen something similar before.

And none of your supportive statements eliminates the fact that black angus are no better than other breeds or that other breeds produce just as high quality carcasses and value in the plate being served. The marketing program has been a great success for black angus breeders, there is no doubt. But the downsides far outweigh the upsides and over time the program has caused more damage to many than it has provided value to the few that benefit greatly.

Fair enough, I am glad you like him. I don't and am glad we live on opposite corners of the country.

We all know about the CAB program.
The question I have is why hasn't anyone questioned it from the standpoint of what about Red Angus, they are supposed to be the same thing. Rumor has it they are more pure Angus than todays black Angus.
We've processed both purebred Angus and Hereford and I can assure ya that there is no discernible difference, it's both great. It looks the same, tastes the same, and surprise surprise it's marbled the same.
CAB means 50% of hide is black, it leaves the door open for the possibility of a high grading Holstein to be stamped CAB certified. Red Angus do have their own certification as do Herefords.

That's an interesting point of view.
So the financial and marketing choices of the owner determines if it is a good quality or poor quality cattle?
You tell me……

I know in our situation we would not pay the bills with 60 cent calves. If I was in an area that did I would still try to raise cattle that maximized value with the same input. Every calf we sold this year averaged $1340. Silver did better with a different program. Know we both made a very good profit. Is a very good profit over expense a bad thing?

You tell me……

I know in our situation we would not pay the bills with 60 cent calves. If I was in an area that did I would still try to raise cattle that maximized value with the same input. Every calf we sold this year averaged $1340. Silver did better with a different program. Know we both made a very good profit. Is a very good profit over expense a bad thing?
Profit and quality of the beef are two barely related subjects.
If I were to raise wagyu to butcher weight and sold it at the auction barn for .67 cents a pound . Versus if I sold that same wagyu for $5000 direct to consumer after butchering Did the quality of the animal change?
I don't think so.
If you have two identical calves being raised by two different people if one person buys their corn in 50 lb lbs from the feed store and the other buys corn in bulk. If all other costs are identical. Is the quality of the calves different. No . But the profit will be.

If someone has a herd of longhorn cross cows that he bought for 1/2 of what a commercial angus cow would cost.
Then breed them to a commercial bull that he paid $1500 at the auction and then sold for $1200 .
Could that person sell a single calf for 60 cents if all others brought market price of beef calves and still turn a good profit? Or even a larger profit then if he had a commercial beef herd that he bred using ai ?
I would say yes.
Quality of cattle and profit are two totally different things.
As I have stated before , best money I have made is off bull calves that I have bought that are over 500 lbs , and if they are still horned that only increases potential profit.
last few years I can make more money selling calves pulled right off cow in September. Then I can weaning and selling latter or even weaning and preconditioning calves for a additional 30-90 days

Almost all cattle will end up on a hook. If you think the feeders and packers will pay the same for cattle that are ''select'' or yield grade fours you are delusional. And on the CAB rant no one mentioned that KFC chicken is not all from Kentucky. Most people in the cattle business look at potential when they buy cattle and may not be as optimistic as the sellers.

Well, Hoss, I have 60 years experience with cattle. This whole thing came about out of jealousy, and some stupidity, because of my posts about a specific operation I have been involved with for a few decades. I have a friend and partner, since college, and he and I, 40 something years ago, bought 220 something acres of cut-over pulp wood land in south GA where he lives. . This was and still is, our rabbit and quail hunting land. It is entirely fenced with 5 stands of barb wire. Over 10 acres is grown up in pure Kidzu. WHat grass is there is Johnson grass, broom sage, and in a spot or two volunteer wheat, millet and sorghum from past dove fields, last one was probably 10 years ago. Honey suckle, black berry, hedge bushes, etc, are abundant in it. Good stand of hardwoods along our creek bottom. . Quail and rabbit hunting is what we got this for. In the 80's til the early 90's , we both raised Corrientes to sell for team roping, and we also would supply the steers for ropings, rodeos etc. In the mid 90's,when team penning was al the rage here, and replaced team roping somewhat, there was a need for uniform colored cattle to use in the pennings. He and I..separately, because we live 3 hours apart, began breeding the Corrs to angus bulls, we got uniform corled, black and polled calves to sell to and supply to, people and places that held pennings. Well, teampenning has been replaced in the last 10 years, with team sorting, and the Obama depression put a big damper on that. So, we took our Corr cows and heifers we had, and turned them out on the Kudzu place. 120, never fewer than 105. Each year we bred them to b;ack bulls..angus at first, then Brangus and the last 2 times, Ultrablacks. We wanted them to calve in February, and around Easter each year, we'd out enough bulls - 6-8, in with them, and take them out memorial day, and put a cleanup Corriente bull in with them until July 4th weekend usually. In case the black bulls missed some cows, and these calves would be born in March. The most corr calves we ever got was 10, and last go round we had none. When we did have a few, we'd keep the 2-4 heifers, and sell the steer calves or take them to our respective places, because we both keep a few to rope.

Scott has 450 acres of row crop land, al fence in, across the road and won the road a little bit. We plant a 40 acre dove field on it every year, and the rest he usually pouts in cotton, peanut, beand and corn. IN November after each cropis in and we are done dove hunting, because quail and rabbit seson opnes Nov 15th, we'd trail drive over to this land, so we dint have to foll with them while hunting. End of January. we'd drive them back over to the Kudzu field where they'd calve. Toward the end of March, when the few that had Corr calves had come in,we'd round themup in our corral, cut the bull calves and turn them out. Right before dove sean, the last weekend or so in August, we'd round them up and take the calves to the sale, sometimes 2 sales. Those 2 times, well 3 counting driving the herd back across the road, was the only time we ever have contact with these cows. Corriente DO NOT have calving problems, never have to pull a calf even forma heifer. We do not feed them..hay or anaything else, We do not worm, do not vaccinate, The ONLY inputs we have, is a few bags of mineral salts, Period. We figured one time we had maybe $25k in those 120 cows. They are weaned in August at about 6 mos, Smallest heifers wil be 400-425 lbs, steers usually 450-500, Last batch we had one at 534. Last batch the steers sold from $1.40 something ( in 2021) to the highest at $1;58. The exact same as any other black steer or bull calves that day. 6 mos old just weaned Angus X Corr calves, are no different looking than a 6 mos , just weaned angus, or angus other beef cross, calf. Heifers brought probably 15 cents less. A 500 lb calf at $1.50 is $750.00. 450 lb heifer at $1.40 would be about $630. No other breed of cow , with ZERO inputs, is gonna wean a calf that brings 2 to 3 times her purchase price NONE!
People on here started popping off their mouths, mostly some Canadians and far western "cattle experts", that ''buyers can tell the difference and tried to tell ME that the calves didn;t bring that. etc. I don;t know how they look after they are weaned, and older, and on a feedlot, and don't give a damn, really. I told one of the blowhards to hop his ass on a plane the next time we wean, and bring $5k with him, and I'd pick him up in the Atlanta airport, and we'd go to the sale the day we took 50 or so of those weanling steers . I said they will be in a pen with al the other 450-600 lb steer and bull calves( down here most people don't steer, and a bull calf brings the same as steer. Most sale barns down here show a heifer category and a bull/steer category on their market reports. I said " Scooter, we will go to the sale and I want you to pick out my half-Corr calves. For everyone you get wrong you pay me $100,and I wil pay you $100 for everyone you get right. Ever how many we had carried, ususally 50 something, that's how many guesses you get. Of course that shut him up.
I even put up 5 pics of a reg Angus calf, a commercial angus, a Chi-angus, a Corr x Angus, and something else, I think a black sim or simmangus calf, and asked the group on here to pick it out. None of the "experts" got it right, the only one that did was Murray. Still the blowhard experts, the keyboard cowboys , kept poo-pooing, some coming dangerously close to calling me a liar. I have been telling Scott about how ignorant some " cattle experts "Non here are. So, we decided to offer somethin to anyone who doubts it. We will give you a year lease on the place. YOu take $30k to try to buy 100 head of your superior" cows. To start with, you can't. Or buy however many you can for $30k. YU turn them loose here, and can only see them once to castrate and once when you wean them on the trailer to the sale barn at 6 mos. No working allowed, no vaccinations, no being anywhere hear the place at calving, no feed o hay or supplements other than the salt. No bush hogging or fertilizing the pasture. You bring another $30k with you, and we will take $30k, and put the $60k in escrow. If you sell those calves at 6 mos, fresh weaned for 2 and 1/2 times what you gave for the cows..$75k... then you take the $60k escrow. If not, we keep it. You want to take us op on it, there, Hoss?!!!
There is nothing you can do, with the same amount of any other breed, for the same money that the same amount of Corr cows would cost, and with no inputs, ad only seeing them twice in a year, and no labor( bushogging, etc) and make that kind of profit. Not even close. And I don't won't to hear rebuttals, insults, etc., from the usual " experts" Put the $60k up and prove me wrong, or ****.
I am not saying do this on lush, fertilized good pasture and hay, feed and supplements and properly worming, vaccinating etc a herd of Corrs. Truth be told, it wouldn't make any difference, the calves would be no better or worse than our Kudzu herd. I am saying if you have unimproved pasture, and not much money to spend, or time and labor, there is NOTHING you can do in raising cattle that will make you more net profit.
I second this... all of it. I started my herd with a bunch of corriente cross roping calves. Nowadays the herd is more mixed because we bred them to Brangus bulls and retained a bunch of heifers. But we took a bunch of $300 heifers and we are still selling $600 to $800 calves off those cows. I vaccinate but most everything else is the same. I do bring the heifers home for first calving though.

Lets go back and look at that original pair. I just did the feed calculations on this little herd of broken mouth cows. I did my calculations on the entire herd because with this operation you need to figure profit/loss on the average. Knowing that cow & calf ear tag number I know when I bought the cow. The hay bill and pasture rent bill for that pair comes to $282. That calf sold for $289 so it barely covered the feed bill. I did actually turn a profit on the pair but it is all from the cow and high kill cow prices when the cow was shipped. So without the big jump in cow prices that pair is probably a loss. The other calves averaged $882. Nothing fancy just an average bunch of beef calves. That $593 dollar difference is generally where the profit and/or loss is.

Almost all cattle will end up on a hook. If you think the feeders and packers will pay the same for cattle that are ''select'' or yield grade fours you are delusional. And on the CAB rant no one mentioned that KFC chicken is not all from Kentucky. Most people in the cattle business look at potential when they buy cattle and may not be as optimistic as the sellers.
Kentucky Fried Chicken is not a good example, it's barely fit to eat anymore. We stopped eating there years ago.
CAB is a good product. If we didn't have our own beef, which is usually Hereford, sometimes Angus. We would be buying CAB when possible as we would have to go to another city to get it. I e said many times that the CAB ground beef product was higher quality than run of the mill store bought hamburger. CAB steaks and roasts were on par with choice store bought beef. The reason I support CAB is that it is a product of USA. No offense to our Canadian friends
They have great cattle, and standards. If there is need to import beef they are at the top of my list of sources.
My point is and has been that similar grades of beef will be similar regardless of breed. The CAB marketing has convinced a country full of people that don't know the names and could not recognize any breed of cattle that Angus is the best. Now some folks are learning about Wagyu.
With CAB any black hided feeder that meets their criteria, which is not an apparent extremely high bar is eligible.
That means other breed crosses and very likely even purebred Simmentals, and others even Holsteins. May be perfectly legal, but at the very least it's misleading.

CAB means 50% of hide is black, it leaves the door open for the possibility of a high grading Holstein to be stamped CAB certified. Red Angus do have their own certification as do Herefords.
I believe if I'm not mistaken CAB can have no dairy influence,

Sometimes facts are needed. CAB has a live animal (hide on) requirement as well as carcass (hide off) requirements. Live animal CAB requirement information from the CAB website:

I've heard cattle just have to be 51% black-hided to for cattle to make the CAB brand. Is that true?
That's a common myth out in cattle country. To be eligible for our brand, cattle must first pass visual appraisal to qualify as "Angus type." What's that mean, exactly? Each steer or heifer must have a predominantly black hide, with no other color behind the shoulder, above the flanks, or breaking the midline, excluding the tail.
Color is just the first hurdle, as an easy way to start the sort on those that will get railed off for further evaluation. As the hide is removed, these animals are marked with an "A" stamp on the hindquarter or a purple food-grade ink on the hock.

black hide examples

Carcass requirements for CAB from CAB website:
  1. Modest or higher marbling
  2. 10- to 16-square-inch ribeye area*
  3. 1,100-pound hot carcass weight or less
  4. 1 inch or less fat thickness
  5. Medium or fine marbling texture
  6. 30 months of age or younger
  7. Superior muscling
  8. No neck hump exceeding 2 inches
  9. Practically free of capillary rupture
  10. No dark cutters
The certification is done by or under the authority/supervision of the USDA graders in the processing facility. CAB pays USDA for the certification. The actual USDA spec has a little more detail than the CAB "advertising" version.

Actual USDA spec for the carcass traits is here:

That USDA spec refers to the AAA Live Animal Specification which is here:

That live animal specifications allows for the "angus" live evaluation to be either genotype (pedigree/papers) or phenotype (appearance) and gives the criteria and the oversight procedure to ensure accuracy.

We can debate whether angus is best or not. But it seems to me the breeders and the association win the prize for smart/clever/successful/etc for this program. Most people hope to be successful, but many show a little jealousy of others that have already achieved success. Human nature, I guess.

Non-farm people ask me what breed of cattle I have. I tell them simmental. They just stare with a blank look. I always suspect they were hoping I would say Angus, so that they could nod their head and smile.

Latest posts